Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is actually advocating for Siakam to come off the bench. Just saying that Serge can start playing at the 4 again, when Gasol is in, because Gasols skillset matches up a little better than JV and Serge did.
    Yeah. Siakam will stil get 30 plus minutes. Reading memphis sites, gasols minutes should he coming down. Hes not a 35 min guy anymore and would be more effective around 25. Ideally, Serge and gasol mostly split center, but to accomadate the 2 vets that would prefer 25-30 minutes you play them together in short spurts at the expense of our backup forward, young ogugua anunoby.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      Siakam should be starting, his 33 and 14 speaks for itself. You don’t bench a young player when hes breaking out like this.
      I get the feeling they will at least try Gasol at C and Serge at PF for a bit. They moved OG to the bench in favor of DG, so I see this as a similar situation. Young players getting shafted to appease vets is nothing new. Now do you move DG to the bench so Siakam can continue to start at SF is the question. Man we'd be so big out there.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        I get the feeling they will at least try Gasol at C and Serge at PF for a bit. They moved OG to the bench in favor of DG, so I see this as a similar situation. Young players getting shafted to appease vets is nothing new. Now do you move DG to the bench so Siakam can continue to start at SF is the question. Man we'd be so big out there.
        I will bet my bottom dollar serge takes the JV role but they squeeze a few more minutes at the 4 for him. He'll be fine with it, people forget he was already coming off the bench for 40% of the games when JV was healthy.

They had every opportunity to start the 2 starting bigs already and they did the right thing and started siakam. They're not gonna go backwards.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
          His passing better to be kawhi or Serge or Pascal for easy buckets since we still have no one realiable at the 3, even in open looks
          Disagree on 2 fronts.

1. We have a number of above average 3 point shooters.

2. Almost all the " passing to create better shots" will be out of half-court sets. I'd guess an average NBA half-court set yields about 1 ppp tops ( was 0.95 in the 15-16 season, which was all I could find). So even shooting 34% from 3 seems a decent half court outcome.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            including various advanced stats, Gasol has JV beat.
            I'm definitely hopeful, and thanks for a great post, awesome to hear the positive side of this.

The advanced stats are interesting.

JV:

TS% 63.9%
            wp48 .264
            ws/48 .229
            obpm 0.9
            dbpm 0.5
            bpm 1.4
            vorp 0.5

MG

TS% 54.1%
            wp48 .068
            ws/48 .109
            obpm -0.2
            dbpm 3.2
            bpm 3.0
            vorp 2.3

JV has the better offensive and production stats, and by a fairly large margin. Gasol has better defensive and net impact stats, also by a fairly large margin.

IMO, impact stats are far more dependent on usage and fit than production stats are, which means it is a gamble, but this does indicate that it is a gamble that could work out

Also, in terms of usage and fit, it is true that, despite great production, the Raptors have been struggling with Jonas, and presumably, since they went after Gasol, and Scarioloface know him well, this *should* work out fit wise.

It's also true, that while Gasol's overall offensive impact is not as good as JVs, the *specific* things that he is better at, passing and 3s, are exactly what the Raptors need.

So I'm a little more hopeful that I was initially. But, let's not forget that Greg Munroe was also billed as a great passer, Gasol is not a great rebounder, and injuries are a much bigger risk with him than JV, not necessary the kind of injuries that take him out of the game (like JVs thumb) but the continuous aches and pains that he might not be be able to play through, and cost him enough of step to turn his impact negative.

In McKechnie we trust, I guess, and Load Management, will be the phrase of the year in Raptorland.
            Last edited by Quirk; Fri Feb 8, 2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

OG isn’t having a break out season, Pascal is legitimately becoming star before our eyes

Comment

• Plz no to serge at PF. that has never shown to be sucessful since he has been here. It's tough cause both siakam and ibaka have earned the right to start after their start to the season. Nick seemed to say as much in his post game interview. I think we have some leeway here in marcs first 3-4 games. We can bring him off the bench under the premise of getting him acclimated still giving him 25-30 mins. If that situation doesnt work then you start to tweak the starters.
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  I am very unsure about how to feel about this trade. The ibaka at C experiment was working really well and now i guess he goes to the bench. Not the end of the world i guess but can marc replicate ibaka's effectiveness on both ends of the floor with the starting unit? Are we gonna have to slow the game down to a crawl in order to accomodate an aging slow footed C? If so, will that affect pascal's game? I really like the idea of adding Gasol's IQ, passing and 3pt shooting to the team though. He can be a difference maker if Nurse, Lowry and Kawhi can figure out how to best work together with Gasol. I'm also not sure how i feel about wright leaving either. Seemed inevitable that one of delon or fred would go in any big trade, but i think i would have preferred to keep delon. I think there is at least a sliver of potential still there, but fred i think may be as good as he's gonna be. And delon had great length for his position. I just really hope that Gasol comes in re-energized to play for a contender and csn get enough out of his aging body to be an impact player. Because we were getting a hell of alot out of Ibaka and JV at the C position this year, and now JV's gone and Ibaka is demoted to the bench. There is more risk with this move than i am comfortable with, so hopefully Gasol can lay my fears to rest within a few games. Also, welcome to the North Marc Gasol!
                  Sign his brother Pau. Reenergize them both

Comment

• The Grizzlies have been in Memphis for 18 years. They've never played a season without a Gasol brother on the roster.
                    -
                    Pau went on to help Kobe win rings.
                    Hopefully Marc does the same w/ Kawhi & the Raps

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Yeah. Siakam will stil get 30 plus minutes. Reading memphis sites, gasols minutes should he coming down. Hes not a 35 min guy anymore and would be more effective around 25. Ideally, Serge and gasol mostly split center, but to accomadate the 2 vets that would prefer 25-30 minutes you play them together in short spurts at the expense of our backup forward, young ogugua anunoby.
                      OG could play SF during those times, as Delon is gone and Norm will switch to his natural SG role.

Comment

• i think we gotta start thinking about rotations. Something that could work is serge & pascal start. Serge come out after like 5 mins for gasol. We play the starters plus gasol for another 5 mins. Serge comes back near end of 1st for pascal, with gasol and OG fred and norm. gasol checks out around 8 minute mark for pascal. then come back in for serge for last 3 mins of Q. Rinse and repeat for 2nd half.
                        That leave the minutes situation as follows.
                        Pascal- 32 mins
                        Serge- 28 mins
                        Gasol- 28 mins
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Damn majority of TV analysts players don't like or care about this move. Pippen, T-Mac, Pierce all think Gasol is washed up
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                            OG isn’t having a break out season, Pascal is legitimately becoming star before our eyes
                            Last season OG was a starter as a rookie and was playing really well, but they opted to give his spot to DG.

I'm as hopeful as anyone else that Siakam reaches that level, but I don't see him as a star. His basketball IQ is too low at the moment.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Damn majority of TV analysts players don't like or care about this move. Pippen, T-Mac, Pierce all think Gasol is washed up
                              Not every former player was meant to be an analyst.

Comment

Last season OG was a starter as a rookie and was playing really well, but they opted to give his spot to DG.

I'm as hopeful as anyone else that Siakam reaches that level, but I don't see him as a star. His basketball IQ is too low at the moment.
                                That statement doesn't ring true anymore as it used to. Whats BBIQ? It's always been a really vague term to me. He's got court vision, makes good passes to the open man, has good shot selection, is a good ball handler, good rebounder (individual and team), because he knows how to position himself and box out. Found the balance between leaking out in transition and staying back to help on the glass. He's quick and effective on defensive switches. He's become a really smart player.

Comment

Working...
                                X