Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, basically, Ibaka and Gasol are big time defenders, yet you think they are too appreciated, Kobe is a dick, but still an amazing talent, George and Irving are up and coming players you'd take on this squad in a heartbeat YET, they are also too appreciated.

Your call on that one I guess...but I go back to my previous thoughts one the over used word "overrated".....its a dumb word. If guys win, they are good. That team would win.

So they are good. Really good actually.

Comment

The problem is that everyone is using their own perception of how the player is "rated". I clearly don't hang out with the same people as Xixak.

Comment

thats the joy of being a fan Mr. Loblaw, we all have our own rating systems, and we should dammit.

Can I assume you will be mailing me my invoice

(love Loblaw)

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
          thats the joy of being a fan Mr. Loblaw, we all have our own rating systems, and we should dammit.

(love Loblaw)
          If you love his stuff you should check out his Law Blog.

Comment

Xixak I like your list. I don't agree with all of them but maybe that's what makes them under/overrated in your opinion.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post

(love Loblaw)
              Yes. Now that you've asked me a question, I must.

----

I'm not talking about how you, me or Xixac rates a player, btw. I'm talking about how we understand public perception. I don't think (for example) that Dwight is generally considered a bad player. I think most people still understand that when healthy, he's a superstar. Sure, his public image as a person is busted right now and there are many haters who go overboard and exaggerate his flaws as a player, but I don't get an impression that most people severely underrate him as a player.
              Same with Paul George, I don't get an impression that most people consider him a superstar. And so on.

It's very hard to reach an agreement in a topic like this. Even if two people 100% agree on quality of a certain player, they may have a completely different impression about how other people rate that player. So one will still be calling him overrated, the other underrated.
              Last edited by BobLoblaw; Tue Aug 6, 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

there must be measurable criteria set forth in order for there to be a rating system based upon those same criteria.

Thats why its a stupid word in most situations its used.

Comment

I'm not sure I would call George a superstar - yet. But if there is any current wing player poised to ascend to that level it is Paul George.

First of all, he just turned 23. So last season he played it at 22 years of age. For all those talking about DeRozan being just 23 with room to improve, well, he'll be 24 in a couple of weeks. A little ironic and hypocritical.

Secondly, he played with/behind an all-star until this last season where Granger missed essentially the whole season. Last season he just got the opportunity to be the go to perimeter player.

Thirdly, he is a multi-dimensional. He defends, shoots, creates, rebounds. If he was a pocket knife he'd be Swiss Army.

Fourthly, every year he has been in the league, he has been in the playoffs. Not too shabby.

Fifthly, he was getting superstar praise during the playoffs because he was putting up near superstar numbers as a 22 year old vs. Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James in the 2nd round and Conference Finals.

Sixthly, any comparison to DeRozan is beyond stupidity in my opinion. Never mind the fact George is younger, more talented, with more of an impact on the game - including the other side. But lets just focus on the topic of efficiency. George had an eFG of 49.1% compared to DeRozan's 45.9%.

If only Raptor players were critiqued as harshly as a bonafide superstar in the making.... or at the very least an all-star.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I'm not sure I would call George a superstar - yet. But if there is any current wing player poised to ascend to that level it is Paul George.

First of all, he just turned 23. So last season he played it at 22 years of age. For all those talking about DeRozan being just 23 with room to improve, well, he'll be 24 in a couple of weeks. A little ironic and hypocritical.

Secondly, he played with/behind an all-star until this last season where Granger missed essentially the whole season. Last season he just got the opportunity to be the go to perimeter player.

Thirdly, he is a multi-dimensional. He defends, shoots, creates, rebounds. If he was a pocket knife he'd be Swiss Army.

Fourthly, every year he has been in the league, he has been in the playoffs. Not too shabby.

Fifthly, he was getting superstar praise during the playoffs because he was putting up near superstar numbers as a 22 year old vs. Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James in the 2nd round and Conference Finals.

Sixthly, any comparison to DeRozan is beyond stupidity in my opinion. Never mind the fact George is younger, more talented, with more of an impact on the game - including the other side. But lets just focus on the topic of efficiency. George had an eFG of 49.1% compared to DeRozan's 45.9%.

If only Raptor players were critiqued as harshly as a bonafide superstar in the making.... or at the very least an all-star.
                    No one was comparing DD and George. More like Rudy and George.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I think that's a point Matt misses. It's not that he's been critical of DD, but that he keeps pounding away over and over and over, in countless threads. Even as the thread is about SFs, Rudy, George,,,, suddenly it's DD being used as comparison,,, like we all haven't heard it all 100 times already. Just my opinion why Matt gets "labelled" as a "basher".

Comment

Actually, someone said that Paul George is as inefficient as DeMar. Matt52 said that he's not.

I guess not all of these points are on topic, but most of them are.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                          If anyone is overrated it's Paul George I'm sorry.

He's a great two-way player, but this superstar talk needs to stop. Just to put it in perspective. DeRozan who routinely gets crucified for being inefficient, scored more points on the same number of shots as Paul George last year despite George being a much better 3 point shooter.
                          Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          No?

p00ka wrote: View Post
                          I think that's a point Matt misses. It's not that he's been critical of DD, but that he keeps pounding away over and over and over, in countless threads. Even as the thread is about SFs, Rudy, George,,,, suddenly it's DD being used as comparison,,, like we all haven't heard it all 100 times already. Just my opinion why Matt gets "labelled" as a "basher".
                          I did not bring DD in to this thread. Just my opinion but I think you once again look like a scorned school girl attempting to undermine and discredit as usual.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            No?

I did not bring DD in to this thread. Just my opinion but I think you once again look like a scorned school girl attempting to undermine and discredit as usual.
                            You can use eFG% as much as you want since it's biased towards 3PT shooters, but their TS% is basically identical and DeRozan scores more on the same # of shots.

Comment

You can use eFG% as much as you want since it's biased towards 3PT shooters, but their TS% is basically identical and DeRozan scores more on the same # of shots.
                              You brought up efficiency.

DD has 52.3 TS%
                              George has 53.1 TS%

In my books that is not identical.

Per48 George takes 19.0 shots.
                              Per48 DD takes 19.6 shots.

Sounds to me like you are cherry picking rounding and estimates to prove a point which I recall you doing in other areas as well. You lack consistency.

*EDIT* And why the bias towards 3 point shooters on eFG%? Is it because one only needs to shoot 33% on 3pt to achieve the same production as 50% on long 2's? I believe the heart of the matter (outside defense, rebounding, and creating) has been touched.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Aug 6, 2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                                Vision doesn't equal shot selection
                                +1

How is Josh Smith overrated? If anything he's one of the more underrated players in the NBA.

He's never made the all-star team and most people just label him as an inefficient chucker.

This is a guy that has averaged 15-8-3 with a 52% TS percentage and a PER of 18 for his career. He is also one of the best two-way players in basketball along with LBJ, Paul George, Dwight etc and the only person more versatile than him as a defender is LeBron.
                                SOURCE
                                It's articles like this that do it.

He's the BEST player under the basket not named Lebron James, but he's down right terrible, pretty much everywhere else. If he would just shot less contested jumpers he would quickly become underrated.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X