• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Combine invites:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ant-List-4509/

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      Then the raptors must have two GMs because I am Masai Ujiri. Tenforthewin is my inspiration.
      You fools! You shall lead the Raptors to ruin! I am Bryan Colangelo!
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
        You fools! You shall lead the Raptors to ruin! I am Bryan Colangelo!
        I'm actually Kevin Durant trying to set up a team to my own liking to win a championship in Toronto when I sign here.

(refer to my signature)
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• • Payne has to be one of the most intriguing players in this draft. He has a unique combination of size, athleticism, an NBA body and a prolific jump shot. How many players in the league can be equally effective in the paint or on the perimeter on offense and have the ability to guard the screen-and-roll on defense? OKC's Serge Ibaka might be the closest comparison, but Payne already is a better shooter (though Ibaka is a much better shot-blocker).

If Payne didn't have a jump shot, he'd be a likely top-20 pick. But with the jumper? I'm shocked he's not higher on most team's Big Boards.

So why isn't Payne ranked as a top-5 pick? He turned 23 in February -- a veritable old man by NBA standards. If he were 19, he'd be a top five pick for sure. But at 23 he's a harder sell, thus his placement at No. 17 on our Big Board.

I usually agree with the analytics on issues like this, but I think Payne has the ability to be the exception. There are few players in the NBA that can do what he does, and I think someone is going to get a steal if he falls out of the top 10.

• One more interesting note on Payne. He's been suffering from mono since January. But he didn't discover it until he started working out in Chicago.

"I was tired all the time," Payne said. "I would come into the locker room at halftime and be struggling to catch my breath. I didn't know what was wrong. I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning, but I just thought I had to. When I found out it was mono everything made sense."

Payne has been losing weight since the end of the season and was struggling in workouts. But doctor prescribed rest and fluids have sent the mono into remission. He's putting weight back on and on Tuesday, he was terrific for the two and a half hours I saw him work out. His agent, Mark Bartlestein will keep him out of the NBA draft combine as a precaution, but Payne will be cleared for workouts for NBA teams by the end of the month.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story..._fordsneakpeek

If 2-Pat ask for too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            • Payne has to be one of the most intriguing players in this draft. He has a unique combination of size, athleticism, an NBA body and a prolific jump shot. How many players in the league can be equally effective in the paint or on the perimeter on offense and have the ability to guard the screen-and-roll on defense? OKC's Serge Ibaka might be the closest comparison, but Payne already is a better shooter (though Ibaka is a much better shot-blocker).

If Payne didn't have a jump shot, he'd be a likely top-20 pick. But with the jumper? I'm shocked he's not higher on most team's Big Boards.

So why isn't Payne ranked as a top-5 pick? He turned 23 in February -- a veritable old man by NBA standards. If he were 19, he'd be a top five pick for sure. But at 23 he's a harder sell, thus his placement at No. 17 on our Big Board.

I usually agree with the analytics on issues like this, but I think Payne has the ability to be the exception. There are few players in the NBA that can do what he does, and I think someone is going to get a steal if he falls out of the top 10.

• One more interesting note on Payne. He's been suffering from mono since January. But he didn't discover it until he started working out in Chicago.

"I was tired all the time," Payne said. "I would come into the locker room at halftime and be struggling to catch my breath. I didn't know what was wrong. I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning, but I just thought I had to. When I found out it was mono everything made sense."

Payne has been losing weight since the end of the season and was struggling in workouts. But doctor prescribed rest and fluids have sent the mono into remission. He's putting weight back on and on Tuesday, he was terrific for the two and a half hours I saw him work out. His agent, Mark Bartlestein will keep him out of the NBA draft combine as a precaution, but Payne will be cleared for workouts for NBA teams by the end of the month.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story..._fordsneakpeek

If 2-Pat ask for too much money.

He is a tremendous person as well, if you haven't read this, i surely recommend it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ate-role-model

IMO, randle is overated and Payne, Capela and Vonleh could all be better players than him.

Especially Vonleh and Payne.
            Myself (March 2014):
            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
              He is a tremendous person as well, if you haven't read this, i surely recommend it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ate-role-model

IMO, randle is overated and Payne, Capela and Vonleh could all be better players than him.

Especially Vonleh and Payne.
              Heard of that during the season. How he first got my attention.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Heard of that during the season. How he first got my attention.

Same with me, initial thought was: Raptors gotta draft this guy. However, when the Bulls will amnesty Boozer, they will likely look for bigs off the bench, I sadly doubt Payne will still be available when we draft.
                Myself (March 2014):

Comment

• Depends if the Bulls can get Euro star Nikola Mirotic to come over, they've been waiting for a while. If he comes then that gives them a very talented big.

I agree that Randle appears a bit overrated to me, but the draft is so tricky. All these prospects have serious flaws. Vonleh looks like he has a higher ceiling than Randle due to his superior wingspan and pretty looking outside shot, and he's my fav PF prospect but I think he has some bust potential as well. Randle at the very least is going to be fairly good.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                    Depends if the Bulls can get Euro star Nikola Mirotic to come over, they've been waiting for a while. If he comes then that gives them a very talented big.

I agree that Randle appears a bit overrated to me, but the draft is so tricky. All these prospects have serious flaws. Vonleh looks like he has a higher ceiling than Randle due to his superior wingspan and pretty looking outside shot, and he's my fav PF prospect but I think he has some bust potential as well. Randle at the very least is going to be fairly good.
                    I'm curious to know where you see the bust potential on Vonleh. He appears to me as the safest prospect in the whole draft with great physical tools, great motor, hard worker and range on his jumpshot.
                    Myself (March 2014):

Comment

I'm curious to know where you see the bust potential on Vonleh. He appears to me as the safest prospect in the whole draft with great physical tools, great motor, hard worker and range on his jumpshot.
                      I think everybody has bust potential. I don't think that many people called Adam Morrison a bust after he had that amazing NCAA season
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Physically, and in terms of skills in the toolbox, he's got huge upside. But mentally, who knows? He's definitely got a rep as a guy who works hard and has great character. He also has an obviously underdeveloped bball IQ, and doesn't know how to be aggressive as often as he needs to be.

As a total bust? It's hard to see him not being at least a solid NBA player, so I doubt we'll see a guy who washes out and is a total waste as a pick...but will he utilize all his tools and reach his potential? Wish I had an answer, but if he does, he could be one of the top 3-4 players of this draft.

Comment

• http://www.nba.com/video/channels/dr...s=nbahpsplit3#

Sooo many draft combine interviews up at nba.com.

Comment

I don't mean he could to be huge a bust like Thabeet, but yeah. You just never know in the draft.
                            He's actually very raw offensively. His footwork isn't great in the post and his moves aren't developed. He's not much of a leaper but he's so long that shouldn't be a problem. One thing I do know is he's going to be an elite rebounder.
                            I think Randle is far safer, but the reward for Vonleh could be much higher.
                            Last edited by BigCamB; Wed May 14, 2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Chris (Michigan)

I read your take on Stauskas and completely agree! His handles are severely underrated. My question is, do you think he could become a lesser version of Steph Curry (he's more athletic than Curry), and if that he's capable of being a starting pg, say with Oladipo?

Chad Ford
                              (1:35 PM)

I think that's the best case scenario for him. He has the ability to be a Steph Curry type point guard. He has the handles and basketball IQ. I think he and Gary Harris are getting looks that way. If they can convince NBA teams they can play some point, they'll move up a few notches.

Greg (Chicago)

Any prospects you believe could test out athletically better than expected and get a stock boost this week?

Chad Ford
                              (1:17 PM)

That is another way to help your stock. Test better than expected and you can get a boost. Worse than expected can hurt you as well though I think most teams don't put a lot of stock in those athletic tests. I'd say someone like Nik Stauskas or Doug McDermott or Tyler Ennis could help themselves with a good showing in that department. Talented players who may be knocked down a rung right now because of issues around athleticism.

Dom(Orlando) [via mobile]

Who has the most to gain from the combine this weekend? Who has the most to lose?

Chad Ford
                              (1:09 PM)

Players that tend to help their stock here are players that had less exposure in college. Someone like Zach LaVine from UCLA or Elfrid Payton of Louisiana Lafayette. As far as who can lose ... anyone who shows up out of shape or doesn't play hard. That turns scouts off.
                              http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Comment

• I understand where y'all coming from but I sorta disagree.

His post moves aren't as bad as advertised, he was just playing in a terrible environment with scoring guards taking contested jumpers instead of looking for him so he felt the urge to do too much when he actually had the ball. He can sink hook shots with either hands over everyone with his great length and gets deep paint position every time he runs the court. He also as Ibaka range.

I agree with flawed footwork though he is only 18, a full year younger than Randle basically, and as a willing worker it would really shock me if he doesn't improve that aspect of his game in a better setting.

I see his floor as a more powerful and better rebounder than Ibaka, which is still a borderline allstar.
                                Myself (March 2014):

Comment

Working...
                                X