No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time posting on these forums. I used to be on the Sportsnet forums until it got shut down. Hope it's the first of many.

I see Masai surveying the first round and accordingly drafting. I don't see him having this predisposed idea of whom to draft based on an organizational need per say. Plus who he drafts will factor into the decision of re-signing guys in the summer. If he goes down the Adrian Payne route (he's my pick), I don't see Patman coming back. Other guys I don't mind at that point in the draft are Jeremi Grant, K.J. McDaniels or PJ Hairston... all three guys who are solid defensively. As for the 2nd round, nothing wrong with drafting some size. Dwight Powell, Willie Cauley Stein or throw in a Canadian like Ejim in there for good measure.
    Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• wtf Cleveland get #1 again, was not expecting to wake up to see that. I guess they draft Embiid and his back gives way making him the next Greg Oden. Poor Joel

I really hope Exum goes to Orlando. If it's Utah I'll cry. Lots.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
        I feel like the Kings might actually swap that pick and a contract for Amir.

Edit: Let me be more specific

Kings Get:
        Amir Johnson
        #20 Pick

Raptors Get:
        Jason Thompson
        #8 Pick

The Kings save money by sending us Thompson (owed about 6.5M per year through the 2016-17 season), and get a legitimate power forward to pair with DeMarcus Cousins. Really depends on how much the Kings are looking to save money while still adding veteran talent.

I'd love for us to be able to snag Vonleh with that pick. Maybe makes us a little worse short term, but raises the overall ceiling of the team. Could be a potential all-star at that 4 spot.

Not 100% sure the Kings would be interested though, but who knows. Stephen Jackson was traded for a pick that high once so it's not impossible.
        If we're taking back that contract, I'd hope we are getting #8 straight up, without sending our pick back. Then we might be able to package the two for a top 5 pick.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
          This photo of Embiid and Wiggins right after the Cleveland #1 was announced is priceless.

HAH That's hilarious.

Cleveland and Milwaukee! Woohoo!

Comment

• I love T. Ross, but anyone else think he might be trade bait at this point? I'm not basing this on his poor playoff performance, but more on him playing out of position and not being consistent. Could he be better served as a throw in with the 20th pick to move up the draft?

Comment

• Cleveland nabbing the first pick could actually work out for the Raptors benefit.. We had a poll asking which draft pick we'd be willing to trade DD for.. and most chose the first pick. Well I wonder if Cleveland would consider DD+#20 for #1? They get an immediate all-star caliber player they can use in the back court with Irving (also both on the USA select squad).

They'll have the cap room after July 1 once Deng comes off the books.. so could send us a TPE back. DD has at least 2 years left on his contract so it's not as big of a gamble as going for Love who's going to opt out.

If Cleveland wants to win so badly (and they tried last year) I'm sure they'd consider it. Of all the teams in the lottery I'm pretty sure they are the only ones that might consider trading the #1 pick for a guy like DD.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Cleveland nabbing the first pick could actually work out for the Raptors benefit.. We had a poll asking which draft pick we'd be willing to trade DD for.. and most chose the first pick. Well I wonder if Cleveland would consider DD+#20 for #1? They get an immediate all-star caliber player they can use in the back court with Irving (also both on the USA select squad).

They'll have the cap room after July 1 once Deng comes off the books.. so could send us a TPE back. DD has at least 2 years left on his contract so it's not as big of a gamble as going for Love who's going to opt out.

If Cleveland wants to win so badly (and they tried last year) I'm sure they'd consider it. Of all the teams in the lottery I'm pretty sure they are the only ones that might consider trading the #1 pick for a guy like DD.
                If CLE moves #1, they're going to want a killing. Something like:

DD, #20, TOR 2016, NYK/DEN 2016 for Varejao, #1

Takes Varejao's guaranteed 4M off their books next year (he seems broken down), multiple picks and an all-star.

I'd do it, too.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Cleveland nabbing the first pick could actually work out for the Raptors benefit.. We had a poll asking which draft pick we'd be willing to trade DD for.. and most chose the first pick. Well I wonder if Cleveland would consider DD+#20 for #1? They get an immediate all-star caliber player they can use in the back court with Irving (also both on the USA select squad).

I can't see Cleveland trading the pick.

They are guaranteed 5 years with who ever they draft.

They could trade for DD and he'd be gone in 2 seasons if he choose, as you said.

The Cavs have been looking for a SF since you know who left.

No way they pass up Wiggins or Parker, in my opinion.

Comment

• kopite91 wrote: View Post
                    First time posting on these forums. I used to be on the Sportsnet forums until it got shut down. Hope it's the first of many.

I see Masai surveying the first round and accordingly drafting. I don't see him having this predisposed idea of whom to draft based on an organizational need per say. Plus who he drafts will factor into the decision of re-signing guys in the summer. If he goes down the Adrian Payne route (he's my pick), I don't see Patman coming back. Other guys I don't mind at that point in the draft are Jeremi Grant, K.J. McDaniels or PJ Hairston... all three guys who are solid defensively. As for the 2nd round, nothing wrong with drafting some size. Dwight Powell, Willie Cauley Stein or throw in a Canadian like Ejim in there for good measure.
                    Welcome to the boards!

For the record, Dwight Powell is Canadian, makes the Ejim comment moot.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Heard through the grapevine that Cavs would be willing to deal the pick in exchange for a Kevin Love type.

Sorry, no source to reference.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        If we're taking back that contract, I'd hope we are getting #8 straight up, without sending our pick back. Then we might be able to package the two for a top 5 pick.
                        Toronto makes that trade right now and every day (just Amir and no 20th pick going back) .
                        Sacramento maybe not so much. Statistically Thompson/Amir have put up similar numbers over their respective careers of around 10 and 7 per game.

Amir is older (NBA older) and has more miles on his body. Especially those ankles.

So if your Sacto.. why do you pull the trigger on what appears to be at best an even up swap of PF's AND throw in your 8th overall ? Don't see it.. but Sacto did take Rudy :-)
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          I can't see Cleveland trading the pick.

They are guaranteed 5 years with who ever they draft.

They could trade for DD and he'd be gone in 2 seasons if he choose, as you said.

The Cavs have been looking for a SF since you know who left.

No way they pass up Wiggins or Parker, in my opinion.
                          Even a guy like Parker will need time to develop. Will Cleveland have the patience? Will Irving have the patience? That's a pretty terrible defensive back court if that's who they select. Embiid has back issues now. Wiggins has a boat load of potential but he may not be NBA ready yet either.

I mean there is so much pressure in Cleveland to make the playoffs. They are a small market team that hasn't made the playoffs since James left. If I was their owner and was looking at a known commodity like DD plus another asset (or two) for a guy that may not reach their potential.. I'd think long and hard about it. I wouldn't put it passed them to trade that pick.

They will be demanding a lot though.. which makes sense. I would make anyone other than JV available if it means getting Wiggins.

Probably wishful thinking.. but what else am I going to do in the off season

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            That's a lot of balls.

_________

I can't see Cleveland drafting anyone else than Embiid as he has a shitload of potential, and fills a need.

I could see them trading Waiters though to have less ball-dominant player. He definitely got game.
                            Myself (March 2014):
                            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Even a guy like Parker will need time to develop. Will Cleveland have the patience? Will Irving have the patience? That's a pretty terrible defensive back court if that's who they select. Embiid has back issues now. Wiggins has a boat load of potential but he may not be NBA ready yet either.

I mean there is so much pressure in Cleveland to make the playoffs. They are a small market team that hasn't made the playoffs since James left. If I was their owner and was looking at a known commodity like DD plus another asset (or two) for a guy that may not reach their potential.. I'd think long and hard about it. I wouldn't put it passed them to trade that pick.

They will be demanding a lot though.. which makes sense. I would make anyone other than JV available if it means getting Wiggins.

Probably wishful thinking.. but what else am I going to do in the off season
                              You raise good points but I think Parker, Wiggins, and Embiid will be better at SF or C than anyone they had on the roster last season.

DD and Irving would be awful defensively, too.

I'd love the Cavs to trade #1. I just think it is going to take a lot more than DD and #20 to do it. JV would likely be the starting point.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Chad Fords Mock Draft 6.0

Elfrid PaytonCOLLEGE: Louisiana LafayetteAGE: 20Class: JrHT: 6-4WT: 185POS: PG
                                Both Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez are free agents this summer. While the Raptors would like to sign them both, Payton offers them some important insurance. In fact, even as a prospect he's probably a better than Vasquez from day one. Payton is the biggest sleeper in the draft. With his length, athleticism and defense I could see him going significantly higher than this, but I don't think he gets past Toronto if he's still on the board.

This starting to become consensus on most mock drafts. I would believe it if Vasquez wasn't putting up pics of himself in Raptors/OvO gear in every post on IG. Knowing Casey no way that Payton plays over Vasquez doesn't matter how much better he is on D. I just don't see Masai picking a 3rd string PG with that pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                A lot has changed in a day, via Insider via HoopsHype.com:

Payton surprised people by refusing to participate in the drills. Given his limited exposure, some GMs were grumbling about the decision. But they shouldn't. As his stock continues to rise, sources say some teams in the mid-first round were pushing for him not to do the drills. They'd prefer he remain a secret. His measurements and athletic testing numbers were both above average for his position. He also drew raves in his interviews. I believe Payton is the true sleeper in this draft and is being underrated by scouts. Once he gets into workouts, he will work his way into the lottery - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.eP7H4kYm.dpuf

A lot can and will change in 6 weeks. I would not be disappointed selecting Payton at 20. People have pointed out Casey but Payton would have a 4 year contract compared to Casey's 2 guaranteed. I don't see Casey impacting who Masai selects if he truly believes in the potential of the pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X