No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I watch/hear about Elfrid Payton's workouts, the more I like him. Dear lord, I hope he's still available at #20.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
      I feel like one of the three of Tyler Ennis, Nik Stauskas, or Gary Harris could fall to us. The draft is so deep, there are bound to be higher teams outside of the top 6-7 that will fall in love with someone and reach. Much like us with Terrence Ross.

Oh yeah, James Young is also a question mark, I'd really like him too.
      Ford's got Stauskas at 10 right now. I'd be pretty happy if he fell to us. I think he's gonna be solid in general.

Comment

• It seems to me (not an expert at all! just based on articles and eye test), picks form 9 to 23 or 25 would have the same level of talent and will have equal impact on their teams. It is just the matter of which team fits them better.

overall, i believe, we will get equal value to our roster whether we pick 9th or 20th.

Comment

• Ok let's talk strokes ....
          http://youtu.be/ZLpEzQoMaoM

Full game vs Florida

I like him offensively but his court vision is bad off double teams probably not all his fault the offensive plays could be better to help him.

His help defense is really bad. It's difficult to post him at the college level. He will have problems at the nba with height, lots of problems.

His screens are not that good for a man of his size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• McDermott is growing on me.

I don't buy the talk about him not being athletic. His sprint and agility times were faster than DeRozan. His no step vertical was 1/2" less than DD; his max vertical was a respectable 36.5" compared to DD 38.5"; and max vertical reach was 1.5" less than DD. Near identical height, wingspan, reach.

His offensive skills should be well known.

However his team defensive skills are rated high by D/X.

Comment

• In order to be that Karl Malone type player. He has to set better picks.

Sorry his screens are good his picks are bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Stokes is a PF in the NBA. Since he is going to play PF you should be asking what responsibilities does a PF in the NBA on offense and defense and see what he can do.

1) Does he have the lateral quicks to guard the PnR well? No
                2) Does he have the ball handling and passing ability to play the top post option that is present in nearly ALL offensive options? No
                3) Can he shoot the mid ranged jumper or the 3? No
                4) Can he operate as a face up guy? No
                5) Can he rebound? Yes
                6) Can he post up? Yes
                7) Can he finish over length? No

The answer is, he fails at most if these. I think his career is likely that of a 3rd/4th big hustle guy ala Tyler Hansborough. I am not drafting TH with the 20th pick.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  Stokes is a PF in the NBA. Since he is going to play PF you should be asking what responsibilities does a PF in the NBA on offense and defense and see what he can do.

1) Does he have the lateral quicks to guard the PnR well? No
                  2) Does he have the ball handling and passing ability to play the top post option that is present in nearly ALL offensive options? No
                  3) Can he shoot the mid ranged jumper or the 3? No
                  4) Can he operate as a face up guy? No
                  5) Can he rebound? Yes
                  6) Can he post up? Yes
                  7) Can he finish over length? No

The answer is, he fails at most if these. I think his career is likely that of a 3rd/4th big hustle guy ala Tyler Hansborough. I am not drafting TH with the 20th pick.
                  Tyler Hansbrough was however drafted 13, he had an amazing college career if anyone recall. But I see stokes being a less angry TH. He looks to soft spoken to get in fights like BRO does
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    McDermott is growing on me.

I don't buy the talk about him not being athletic. His sprint and agility times were faster than DeRozan. His no step vertical was 1/2" less than DD; his max vertical was a respectable 36.5" compared to DD 38.5"; and max vertical reach was 1.5" less than DD. Near identical height, wingspan, reach.

His offensive skills should be well known.

However his team defensive skills are rated high by D/X.

While I'm not gonna say weather he's athletic or not, those athleticism tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. What matters more is how the player applies their athletic ability in games, and whether they can at all.

Russell Westbrook's no-step vert and max vert are similar to DeRozan's as well, but watch that dude play in a game and you'd have no idea. Dwyane Wade also only had a 35" max vert.

I really think looking at athleticism in games is a lot more important than the actual numbers. I know someone is gonna rail me for saying that because I'm usually a big stats guy, but in this case I'm really not.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      While I'm not gonna say weather he's athletic or not, those athleticism tests need to be taken with a grain of salt. What matters more is how the player applies their athletic ability in games, and whether they can at all.

Russell Westbrook's no-step vert and max vert are similar to DeRozan's as well, but watch that dude play in a game and you'd have no idea. Dwyane Wade also only had a 35" max vert.

I really think looking at athleticism in games is a lot more important than the actual numbers. I know someone is gonna rail me for saying that because I'm usually a big stats guy, but in this case I'm really not.
                      I agree with you.

But mcdermott's IQ is very similar to Fields in that it allows him to play angles to his advantage and be one step ahead of the ball or his man. His fundamentals are also incredible. I don't see stardom but he could be a very valuable player to a very good team.

Comment

I agree with you.

But mcdermott's IQ is very similar to Fields in that it allows him to play angles to his advantage and be one step ahead of the ball or his man. His fundamentals are also incredible. I don't see stardom but he could be a very valuable player to a very good team.
                        Definitely wasn't indicting McDermott as a player though. I like that comparison someone made earlier of "Fields with a jumpshot". That could really be a great player for us off the bench. Especially if he can utilize/work on his lateral quicks to at least be an adequate defender.

Comment

• I hate to use the "white guy" comparison, but McDermott could potentially be a Hayward type player in the league as well. That could be invaluable, even in the starting 5.

Comment

Definitely wasn't indicting McDermott as a player though. I like that comparison someone made earlier of "Fields with a jumpshot". That could really be a great player for us off the bench. Especially if he can utilize/work on his lateral quicks to at least be an adequate defender.
                            He needs to be on a team with a solid defensive system.

I think Charlotte would be perfect for him.

Comment

He needs to be on a team with a solid defensive system.

I think Charlotte would be perfect for him.
                              I like that fit also, he might actually be a better option for them at SF than Gilchrist long-term.

Comment

I like that fit also, he might actually be a better option for them at SF than Gilchrist long-term.
                                Move MKG in to the tony Allen role and start McDermott at sf.

Comment

Working...
                                X