No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look for the Bucks, Hawks, Mavs, Blazers and Raptors to be especially busy trying to move up or acquire a second pick. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.29ebNQr2.dpuf
    Yay

Comment

• Just thought that people might want to keep track of who they've worked out so far:
      May 28th - http://blog.raptors.com/raptors-pre-...ants-may-28th/
      June 3rd - http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-rel...kouts-june-3rd

It looks like the last scheduled workouts are June 5th -- so their might be some clues what direction they're heading by then (for instance, will they bring in SFs? If so, who? Any surprise invites? Any players we think they should bring in that they don't?), or it could all be a smokescreen.

Comment

• Today's workout: Chaz Williams (PG), Deonte Burton (PG), Niels Giffey (SF), Melvin Ejim (SF), Khem Birch (PF), Alec Brown (C)

Williams: Tiny PG (5-9"), Very little scouting info. High assist rate in college, but only a decent AST:TO. Can shoot the 3. Projected at 75. 23 years old.

Burton: PG (6'1"), crazy athletic (40" vert), huge wingspan for his size (6'7"), poor 3 point shooter, gets to the line, OK rebounder. Projected at 47. 22 years old.

Giffey: Average SF (6'7") with a decent wingspan (6'10"), not very athletic, very good 3 point shooter (almost 50% in college), very poor rebounder for a SF. Projected at 100. 22 years old.

Ejim: Solid SF (6'7", 6'11" wingspan), average athleticism (max vert 35"), solid scorer in college (50% from the field, 18 PPG, 35% from 3), rebounds well for his position (8.4 RB/GM). Projected at 87. 23 years old.

Birch: Skinny PF (6'9", 205 lbs, 7'1" wingspan), decent athleticism for a PF (35" max vert), very good rebounder (10 per game in 31 minutes), scored efficiently on low usage, considered high upside defensively (very versatile defender). Projected at 56. 21 years old.

Brown: Big C (7'1"), non-athletic, poor rebounder (think Bargnani level rebounding), very good perimeter shooter (44%), doesn't do much else, although he's considered a solid defender and good shot blocker. Projected at 77, 21 years old. Intriguing because he's unique, and young, terrifying because he really does remind of Bargnani (although he's already a better defender).

For me the intriguing picks are Burton at PG, maybe Birch at PF (if not for his lack of perimeter game he could project as a SF), perhaps Brown at C. All at 59 though, except maybe Burton at 37 if everyone else interesting is gone. Probably 59 for him as well though.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Raptors

The Raptors will be looking to improve their team in order to have a deeper run in the playoffs, and one basketball analyst believes he knows which player they’ll draft.

“I don’t think they can pass on Adreian Payne. He’s just too good,” said Yannis Koutroupis of*Basketball Insiders.

There are also questions about Kyle Lowry and Grevais Vasquez in free agency.*

“They need to figure out their point guard situation first and foremost,” he said.

“I think they need some additional depth on the wing. I’d like to see them add another scoring threat. It’d be ideal if they could snatch up a Nik Stauskas or James Young, but I doubt they’re still on the board.”

The Raptors have the No. 20 pick in the first round and the No. 37 in the second round

- Epoch Times

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Noah Vonleh looks like a perfect fit for this team, reminds me of Chris Bosh.

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
              Noah Vonleh looks like a perfect fit for this team, reminds me of Chris Bosh.

Yeah really warming up to him.. but he'll get selected in the top 5/6 of the draft, and I just don't see how MU can trade up that high.

Would Utah want to sign and trade Hayward + #5 for DeRozan + #20 + other pieces? Utah would probably laugh at that trade.

Comment

• Vonleh should be drafted higher than Randle, I highly doubt there will be a move available for him.

The more I read, the more it seems we drafting either a PF or a PG in the first round.

If it is a PF, please Payne. Already a good player who fits really well within the team culture. Shoots the 3 and loves to posterize people.

And this.

The action starts at the Breslin Center, when the former Michigan State forward fulfilled a promise to his late grandmother and became the first member of his family to earn a college degree.

“It was tough, but I just stuck with it, and I know my grandma wanted me to have a degree and be the first one out of the family to have it,” Payne said.

After the ceremony, he meets with the family of Lacey, the young fan he befriended over the course of two years before she succumbed to cancer. The family gives him a mold of Lacey’s hand making a symbol for love.
                He just is a terrific person.
                Myself (March 2014):
                The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• My concern with Payne is his lung condition.. I believe they are smaller than the average person so he tires out quicker. That could actually cause his stock to fall. Wouldn't be surprised if he got selected in the 2nd round instead of the first round because of it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    My concern with Payne is his lung condition.. I believe they are smaller than the average person so he tires out quicker. That could actually cause his stock to fall. Wouldn't be surprised if he got selected in the 2nd round instead of the first round because of it.
                    Thought that was diagnosed as mono from which he has recovered. A simple hospital test on lung capacity will either allay or heighten concern in this area. I like Payne to as a hybrid 3/4

For
                    20: Drafting for Need here which is SF/PF - Warren/Payne/Anderson
                    37: Drafting BPA
                    59: Drafting BPA
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      Thought that was diagnosed as mono from which he has recovered. A simple hospital test on lung capacity will either allay or heighten concern in this area. I like Payne to as a hybrid 3/4

For
                      20: Drafting for Need here which is SF/PF - Warren/Payne/Anderson
                      37: Drafting BPA
                      59: Drafting BPA
                      I think the mono was a different issue that got cleared up. He's an interesting guy.. good character, hard worker, but probably won't be 100% healthy. And if this draft goes like previous drafts than a guy that is not fully healthy usually drops, and drops fast.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I think the mono was a different issue that got cleared up. He's an interesting guy.. good character, hard worker, but probably won't be 100% healthy. And if this draft goes like previous drafts than a guy that is not fully healthy usually drops, and drops fast.

Actually the last I heard was that his stock was going up because of him playing through the mono. I doubt the Bulls will pass on him but I'd sure like it.

Payne also as a mental deficiency of some sort that harden his learning capacities. His constant improvement shows hard work and dedication. I truly think that the team who will draft him will be ecstatic about it.
                        Myself (March 2014):
                        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• If we get Payne, do we still resign Patman?
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                            If we get Payne, do we still resign Patman?
                            I would still resign Patterson. But, I would consider trading Hansborough or waiving him if there are no trade offers.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Today's workout: Chaz Williams (PG), Deonte Burton (PG), Niels Giffey (SF), Melvin Ejim (SF), Khem Birch (PF), Alec Brown (C)

Williams: Tiny PG (5-9"), Very little scouting info. High assist rate in college, but only a decent AST:TO. Can shoot the 3. Projected at 75. 23 years old.

Burton: PG (6'1"), crazy athletic (40" vert), huge wingspan for his size (6'7"), poor 3 point shooter, gets to the line, OK rebounder. Projected at 47. 22 years old.

Giffey: Average SF (6'7") with a decent wingspan (6'10"), not very athletic, very good 3 point shooter (almost 50% in college), very poor rebounder for a SF. Projected at 100. 22 years old.

Ejim: Solid SF (6'7", 6'11" wingspan), average athleticism (max vert 35"), solid scorer in college (50% from the field, 18 PPG, 35% from 3), rebounds well for his position (8.4 RB/GM). Projected at 87. 23 years old.

Birch: Skinny PF (6'9", 205 lbs, 7'1" wingspan), decent athleticism for a PF (35" max vert), very good rebounder (10 per game in 31 minutes), scored efficiently on low usage, considered high upside defensively (very versatile defender). Projected at 56. 21 years old.

Brown: Big C (7'1"), non-athletic, poor rebounder (think Bargnani level rebounding), very good perimeter shooter (44%), doesn't do much else, although he's considered a solid defender and good shot blocker. Projected at 77, 21 years old. Intriguing because he's unique, and young, terrifying because he really does remind of Bargnani (although he's already a better defender).

For me the intriguing picks are Burton at PG, maybe Birch at PF (if not for his lack of perimeter game he could project as a SF), perhaps Brown at C. All at 59 though, except maybe Burton at 37 if everyone else interesting is gone. Probably 59 for him as well though.

All these guys will be lucky to be in the NBA next season.

So again, when will the Raptors actually work out players that can play??
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                All these guys will be lucky to be in the NBA next season.

So again, when will the Raptors actually work out players that can play??
                                Deonte burton is actually very good. Definitely could see him as a very good bench PG or average starting PG

Comment

Working...
                                X