The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    All these guys will be lucky to be in the NBA next season.

So again, when will the Raptors actually work out players that can play??
    If you can turn a 59th pick into a rotational piece you have done very well as a manager. That's how the Spurs became the Spurs. I have no problem with them trying out these guys. That's how you find a diamond in the rough.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      If you can turn a 59th pick into a rotational piece you have done very well as a manager. That's how the Spurs became the Spurs. I have no problem with them trying out these guys. That's how you find a diamond in the rough.
      Also can't forget that a big reason they bring guys in isn't to watch them play, but to actually get a more private look at their personalities so they can try and use that info to project how it will impact their development. That's something you can't find out scouting from the stands or on video. Can't imagine they get the chance to really interact with guys during the college season, at best getting short small talk type chats.

I'm happy they're taking all their picks seriously, or at least so it seems. Because the bold is absolutely spot on. If they can get a guy who's even in the 9-11 area of the rotation with one of the last picks in the draft, that's pretty much a steal. And maybe they find a guy they think can develop even beyond that.

**Also can't forget these workouts that involve guys who may go undrafted is also to determine possible invites for summer league and training camp, where maybe you can get a steal signing a guy without having to draft them.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 4, 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Yo why the fk we working out a bunch of scrubs im hearing names and im like who?? Where are the kyle andersons, the adrien paynes, the cleanthony earlys? the guys we been working out are d league type scrubs man >:O

Comment

• My draft board. Assuming LaVine is off the board at 20, i'd be happy if the Raps ended up w/ any of these players come draft night.

20. Ennis/Payton/McDaniels/Grant/Anderson
          37. Inglis/Stokes/ McGary
          59. Don't care

I still there's a chance one of Ennis/Payton falls to the Raps at 20. If 1 of them are there it's a no brainer. If both are off the board, i'd take either McDaniels, Grant or Anderson.

McDaniels is an interesting prospect. I'm starting to like him more the more i read about him.

Anyone know if the Raps are going to work out any of these guys???
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
            If we get Payne, do we still resign Patman?

Would resign 2pat as well. With added bulk, Payne could definitely play center. Athletic high motor stretch 5? yes please.
            Last edited by OptimalOptimist; Wed Jun 4, 2014, 03:00 PM.
            Myself (March 2014):
            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• I like Payne offensively a lot but defensively he seems like he has a very low bball IQ and I don't think you want your pf/c to be bad defensively. We see how Andrea turned out. That's an extreme comparison though because Payne isn't that bad but still he seems pretty bad when it comes to help D. I've never watched him play though so maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I really like McDaniels a lot as well.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                yes yes YES this is what i keep saying. now the spurs have been amazing at finding these diamonds in the rough but the fact of the matter is if you can get someone in the second round, at any point, who can contribute IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM then you've done a good job. i know a lot of people say "why not swing for the fences?" but in my mind why not take a guy who has a definite skill set that would fit the team and take him?
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  I like Payne offensively a lot but defensively he seems like he has a very low bball IQ and I don't think you want your pf/c to be bad defensively. We see how Andrea turned out. That's an extreme comparison though because Payne isn't that bad but still he seems pretty bad when it comes to help D. I've never watched him play though so maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I really like McDaniels a lot as well.
                  Payne sucks i will lose my mind if we take him
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    LOL I really don't get the hype over him at all.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      I don't see the point when there should be better options on the board that also happen to fill needs.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        I don't see the point when there should be better options on the board that also happen to fill needs.
                        me neither but every page of this thread someone brings up how we should take Payne
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• huh

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              My draft board. Assuming LaVine is off the board at 20, i'd be happy if the Raps ended up w/ any of these players come draft night.

20. Ennis/Payton/McDaniels/Grant/Anderson
                              37. Inglis/Stokes/ McGary
                              59. Sim City Bhullar (bitches)

Anyone know if the Raps are going to work out any of these guys???
                              corrected that for you
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• One thing the Spurs do very well is acquire rotational talent (and even starter level talent, hell look at Manu and Parker) with late 1sts and second round picks. This is great for any team, because now you have those role players/backup guys and maybe even starters contributing big-time for you and you're only paying them 1 or 2M and sometimes less than that. That means you don't have to go out and splash your MLE on some veteran player who will never improve to fill roster holes.

I mean just look at the Spurs financial model. They don't pay jackshit for players who aren't key guys. Nobody on their bench makes more than 4.7M.

Comment

Working...
                                X