The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    do we know if he's really worked out anywhere yet?
    You are right, can't find anything about him working out for some teams.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Today's workouts:

Roy Devyn Marble (SG), Sean Kilpatrick (SG), Jordan Adams (SG), C.J. Wilcox (SG), Adreian Payne (PF) and Jarnell Stokes (PF)

Roy Devyn Marble (SG): 6'6", 192 lbs. Nice 6'9" wingspan for a SG. Limited but decent athleticism. Decent shooter, not great. Not particularly effective inside the arc, though he gets to the line well. Not much of a rebounder, but can make a pass (3+ assists per game). Takes a lot of jump shots, and converts very poorly off the dribble. Average defender if that. Projected 51, 21 years old (young senior).

Sean Kilpatrick (SG): 6'4", 219 lbs. Sturdy SG, a little short, with only a decent wingspan (6'7"). Doesn't have the passing game to be a PG or combo. Volume scorer, with a decent but not great 3. Gets to the line well. Decent rebounder. Very poor defender, both in terms of size and lack of fundamentals. Projected at 83, 24 years old.

Jordan Adams (SG): 6'5", 209 lbs, 6'10" wingspan. Average size, great length, poor athleticism (29" max vert). Scores very efficiently - converts a lot of shots inside the arc to the tune of over 55%, and has a solid 3 as well at 35%. Gets to the line well and converts there too (84%). Rebounds well for a guard with 5 per game (particularly shines on the offensive boards), and contributes with an OK passing game. Steal machine with 2.5 per game. Otherwise a bit of a minus defensively with poor fundamentals. His offensive efficiency, good rebounding and high steal count place him as an analytics darling and the guy that Wins Produced projects as the steal of the draft. Projected at 23, 19 years old.

C.J. Wilcox (SG): 6'5", 201 lbs. 6'10" wingspan. Good athlete. Very efficient scorer. Converts over 50% of his 2's, almost 40% of his 3's, and almost 90% of his FT's (although he only gets to the line a few times a game). Doesn't provide much else though - below average rebounder, below average passer, though he can get a steal or a block here and there. Otherwise a fairly average defender. One of the oldest prospects in the draft, what you see is what you get here. Projected at 34, 23 years old.

Adreian Payne (PF): 6'10", 239 lbs. 7'4" wingspan. Tremendous length at the PF position. Very athletic at the 4-spot, though didn't do the combine. Efficient scorer, can space the floor (42% from 3, 54% from 2 including jumpers), and even gets to the line occasionally (4.5 FTA's per game is not bad for a jump shooter, and converts at nearly 80%). Decent if not great rebounder (7.3 rebounds in 28 MPG), can be a little bit of a presence defensively with a block per game. Fairly narrow build, in spite of putting on some weight and strength in his senior year, so there are some questions about how he handles NBA PF's, especially defensively in the post. Average defender in general, nothing special. He also has a condition where his lungs are smaller than average, and is prone to fatigue, limiting his minutes. This might be even worse in the NBA. Note that he also suffered from mono this season, and even with both factors, still posted very good numbers in his 28 MPG. Projected at 18, 23 years old.

Jarnell Stokes (PF): 6'8", 263 lbs. Undersized PF heightwise, but very solidly built. Decent 7'1" wingspan to make up for some of the height. Very good athlete for a guy his size, with a 36" max vert. Scores pretty efficiently in the paint and gets to the line well, but most of that is off putbacks and not through post play (although he is decent there as well). Extraordinary rebounder, with 10 per game (4 offensive) in 32 minutes. Not a dominant rim protector, but can challenge shots with his length and is very solid in the post. Projected at 31, 20 years old.

Personally, I don't really like this group all that much. Payne is intriguing, but with the fatigue issues and his lacklustre defense, and the question marks about how he'll handle bigger and quicker players in the NBA, I'm hoping he's gone before we pick. Adams is an analytics freak - but has a lot of red flags athletically that suggest he might not stay so efficient at the highest level of the game. I'd be interested at 37, but not 20. Stokes is a guy I've had pegged at 37 if we don't get a big man at 20. Just bound to be successful to some degree with his incredible rebounding (rebounding is the stat that converts most directly to NBA success). Zero interest in the other 3, including Wilcox who is projected in our range at 37. Neither he nor Marble (who might be there at 59) move the needle at all.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Today's workouts:

Roy Devyn Marble (SG), Sean Kilpatrick (SG), Jordan Adams (SG), C.J. Wilcox (SG), Adreian Payne (PF) and Jarnell Stokes (PF)

Roy Devyn Marble (SG): 6'6", 192 lbs. Nice 6'9" wingspan for a SG. Limited but decent athleticism. Decent shooter, not great. Not particularly effective inside the arc, though he gets to the line well. Not much of a rebounder, but can make a pass (3+ assists per game). Takes a lot of jump shots, and converts very poorly off the dribble. Average defender if that. Projected 51, 21 years old (young senior).

Sean Kilpatrick (SG): 6'4", 219 lbs. Sturdy SG, a little short, with only a decent wingspan (6'7"). Doesn't have the passing game to be a PG or combo. Volume scorer, with a decent but not great 3. Gets to the line well. Decent rebounder. Very poor defender, both in terms of size and lack of fundamentals. Projected at 83, 24 years old.

Jordan Adams (SG): 6'5", 209 lbs, 6'10" wingspan. Average size, great length, poor athleticism (29" max vert). Scores very efficiently - converts a lot of shots inside the arc to the tune of over 55%, and has a solid 3 as well at 35%. Gets to the line well and converts there too (84%). Rebounds well for a guard with 5 per game (particularly shines on the offensive boards), and contributes with an OK passing game. Steal machine with 2.5 per game. Otherwise a bit of a minus defensively with poor fundamentals. His offensive efficiency, good rebounding and high steal count place him as an analytics darling and the guy that Wins Produced projects as the steal of the draft. Projected at 23, 19 years old.

C.J. Wilcox (SG): 6'5", 201 lbs. 6'10" wingspan. Good athlete. Very efficient scorer. Converts over 50% of his 2's, almost 40% of his 3's, and almost 90% of his FT's (although he only gets to the line a few times a game). Doesn't provide much else though - below average rebounder, below average passer, though he can get a steal or a block here and there. Otherwise a fairly average defender. One of the oldest prospects in the draft, what you see is what you get here. Projected at 34, 23 years old.

Adreian Payne (PF): 6'10", 239 lbs. 7'4" wingspan. Tremendous length at the PF position. Very athletic at the 4-spot, though didn't do the combine. Efficient scorer, can space the floor (42% from 3, 54% from 2 including jumpers), and even gets to the line occasionally (4.5 FTA's per game is not bad for a jump shooter, and converts at nearly 80%). Decent if not great rebounder (7.3 rebounds in 28 MPG), can be a little bit of a presence defensively with a block per game. Fairly narrow build, in spite of putting on some weight and strength in his senior year, so there are some questions about how he handles NBA PF's, especially defensively in the post. Average defender in general, nothing special. He also has a condition where his lungs are smaller than average, and is prone to fatigue, limiting his minutes. This might be even worse in the NBA. Note that he also suffered from mono this season, and even with both factors, still posted very good numbers in his 28 MPG. Projected at 18, 23 years old.

Jarnell Stokes (PF): 6'8", 263 lbs. Undersized PF heightwise, but very solidly built. Decent 7'1" wingspan to make up for some of the height. Very good athlete for a guy his size, with a 36" max vert. Scores pretty efficiently in the paint and gets to the line well, but most of that is off putbacks and not through post play (although he is decent there as well). Extraordinary rebounder, with 10 per game (4 offensive) in 32 minutes. Not a dominant rim protector, but can challenge shots with his length and is very solid in the post. Projected at 31, 20 years old.

Personally, I don't really like this group all that much. Payne is intriguing, but with the fatigue issues and his lacklustre defense, and the question marks about how he'll handle bigger and quicker players in the NBA, I'm hoping he's gone before we pick. Adams is an analytics freak - but has a lot of red flags athletically that suggest he might not stay so efficient at the highest level of the game. I'd be interested at 37, but not 20. Stokes is a guy I've had pegged at 37 if we don't get a big man at 20. Just bound to be successful to some degree with his incredible rebounding (rebounding is the stat that converts most directly to NBA success). Zero interest in the other 3, including Wilcox who is projected in our range at 37. Neither he nor Marble (who might be there at 59) move the needle at all.
        I agree with you regarding the shooting guards, neither of them is appealing to me considering we are stacked at this position and they aren't as interesting as Harris, Young and Stauskas.

But I'm really high on Payne and Stokes looks like a really good 2nd round option if he's still there.
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Chad Ford's newest mock has Tyler Ennis dropping to us at #20 (!).

1. Embiid
          2. Parker
          3. Wiggins
          4. Exum
          5. Vonleh
          6. Gordon
          7. Smart
          8. Payton (!)
          9. McDermott
          10. Randle
          11. Harris
          12. Saric
          13. Stauskas
          14. Young
          15. Nurkic
          16. Payne
          17. LaVine
          18. Warren
          19. Napier
          20. Ennis
          21. Hood
          22. Stokes
          23. Jordan Clarkson
          24. Hairston
          25. McDaniels
          26. Anderson
          27. Capela
          28. McGary
          29. Jordan Adams
          30. Early

Comment

• @WolstatSun: Think Stokes would be a steal at 37. Adams did poorly on athletic testing, but has lots of fans who project him as solid

Workstation knows his stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
              Chad Ford's newest mock has Tyler Ennis dropping to us at #20 (!).

1. Embiid
              2. Parker
              3. Wiggins
              4. Exum
              5. Vonleh
              6. Gordon
              7. Smart
              8. Payton (!)
              9. McDermott
              10. Randle
              11. Harris
              12. Saric
              13. Stauskas
              14. Young
              15. Nurkic
              16. Payne
              17. LaVine
              18. Warren
              19. Napier
              20. Ennis
              21. Hood
              22. Stokes
              23. Jordan Clarkson
              24. Hairston
              25. McDaniels
              26. Anderson
              27. Capela
              28. McGary
              29. Jordan Adams
              30. Early
              From what I've read the Hornets won't pass up on Stauskas at 9, unless Vonleh falls to them.
              Myself (March 2014):

Comment

Chad Ford's newest mock has Tyler Ennis dropping to us at #20 (!).

1. Embiid
                2. Parker
                3. Wiggins
                4. Exum
                5. Vonleh
                6. Gordon
                7. Smart
                8. Payton (!)
                9. McDermott
                10. Randle
                11. Harris
                12. Saric
                13. Stauskas
                14. Young
                15. Nurkic
                16. Payne
                17. LaVine
                18. Warren
                19. Napier
                20. Ennis
                21. Hood
                22. Stokes
                23. Jordan Clarkson
                24. Hairston
                25. McDaniels
                26. Anderson
                27. Capela
                28. McGary
                29. Jordan Adams
                30. Early
                That is an interesting mock.

Randle at 10.
                Payton at 8.
                Stokes at 22.
                Ennis at 20.
                Anderson at 26.
                Capela at 27.

Draft night should be fun.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Been trying to get a feeling as to how Masai will select his draft picks this year so went back in history.

As a GM of the Nuggets, MU has only drafted four players.

In 2011 he drafted Kenneth Faried at 22.
                  In 2012 he drafted Evan Fournier at 20, Quincy Miller at 38 and İzzet Türkyılmaz at 50.

Looking at the mock drafts in 2011:
                  http://www.nba.com/hornets/11_mock_drafts.html

- Faried was ranked about 20-22 (lowest was 19, highest was 28). So I would say that this pick was no surprise at all and ended up being a good pick. If the 2011 draft was redone Faried would most likely be in the lottery.

Looking at the mock drafts in 2012:
                  http://www.nba.com/hornets/12draft_mock_drafts.html

- Fournier was ranked about 28-30 (lowest was 23, highest 33). So he reached for this pick. Probably made the right call although I think its still too early to really tell.
                  - Miller was ranked about 28-30 (lowest was 25, highest 35). So he was probably selected as a BPA. This seemed like a safe pick, and probably the right one although Miller hasn't really done much in the league.
                  - Türkyılmaz was not listed but DraftExpress had him at 58. Essentially MU went for the classic Euro stash. This guy is still basically an unknown.

This is probably an irrelevant post but what I gather from this is that MU will most likely play it safe and not really reach from the current mock drafts.

I couldn't find a summary of all the latest mock drafts.. figured draftexpress is probably the closest to what MU mirrored and currently they predict Elfrid Payton @ 20, Vasilije Micic @ 37 and Josh Huestis @ 59.

Totally forgot about Micic.. early on he was around 17-20. From what I can tell MU has done a lot of scouting overseas as well. Inglis is predicted to go 38th by DE. Wonder how this board would feel if MU drafts Micic over Inglis?

Can't wait for the draft.. only a week and a half left.
                  I would look at his scouting staff and their history

Comment

• An averaging of all the major mocks:

http://nbadraft.dahoops.com/#

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      That is an interesting mock.

Randle at 10.
                      Payton at 8.
                      Stokes at 22.
                      Ennis at 20.
                      Anderson at 26.
                      Capela at 27.

Draft night should be fun.
                      The Raptors have been eyeing a point guard and will be happy if the local product Ennis falls here. Ennis is in the mix as high as the Sacramento Kings at No. 8. But in workouts, he has struggled to get ahead of Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton and ShabazzNapier. But he's a great value here.

Stokes is a tough rebounder who can score with his back to the basket or face a little. The differences between him and Julius Randle, statistically, are small. A car accident on his way to his first workout has forced him to miss some time, but he's feeling better now. He could be a huge steal for the Grizzlies at No. 22.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/mockdraft?s...ord_NBAMock8.0

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I want PAYTON

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

An averaging of all the major mocks:

http://nbadraft.dahoops.com/#
                          that is a nice collection of mocks

Comment

• Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

He just doesn't want to play in canada he's just putting in a nice way. I don't tho pulling this out of my ass
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Early international withdrawals from draft:

PLAYER, TEAM (COUNTRY*)
                                Eleftherios Bochoridis, Aris (Greece)
                                Matías Bortolin, Regatas Corrientes (Argentina)
                                Nedim Buza, Spars Sarajevo (Bosnia)
                                Berkay Candan, TED Kolejliler (Turkey)
                                Joonas Cavén, Joventut (Spain)
                                Moussa Diagne, Fuenlabrada (Spain)
                                Tomas Dimša, Zalgiris (Lithuania)
                                Marcus Eriksson, Manresa (Spain)
                                Ilja Gromovs, Ventspils (Latvia)
                                Rasmus Larsen, Manresa (Spain)
                                Mateusz Ponitka, Oostende (Belgium)
                                Kristaps Porzingis, Cajasol (Spain)
                                Marko Ramljak, Zadar (Croatia)
                                Alejandro Suarez, Joventut (Spain)
                                Devon Van Oostrum, Vitoria (Spain)
                                Guillem Vives, Joventut (Spain)
                                Adin Vrabac, Spars Sarajevo (Bosnia)

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/06/17/e...ase/index.html

Honestly only two I had been aware of were Porzingis and Larsen.

Comment

Working...
                                X