The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    chuck hayes could stop lebron's post up game though, that's not gonna be enough to stop him (note: i know stokes is much faster than hayes, the point is, he's not adding anything else on defense beyond post-ups if you put him on the perimeter)

lebron still has the drive and the shot.

people have been a little harsh, but it's just not feasible in any way.
    Tru but Hayes is slower than stokes. I'm not saying that stokes is a god like pick or anything. I'm saying that I see what enlightens is saying. And I can sorta agree on it. He would be a good person to throw on melo I think because melo post ups a lot. The thing with Hayes is that he is not even as close athletically to stokes. Stokes has a fucking 36 inch verticle. Ross only had a 37 inch. That should tell you something since stokes is 260 lb
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      Tru but Hayes is slower than stokes. I'm not saying that stokes is a god like pick or anything. I'm saying that I see what enlightens is saying. And I can sorta agree on it. He would be a good person to throw on melo I think because melo post ups a lot. The thing with Hayes is that he is not even as close athletically to stokes. Stokes has a fucking 36 inch verticle. Ross only had a 37 inch. That should tell you something since stokes is 260 lb
      but if you throw stokes on melo, he's going to stop posting up and rip your team a new one worse than if you let him post up.

and btw, if stokes can guard 4s in the league, i don't mind the pick. I just hope casey never tries to play him as a 3, because it's not going to end well.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        Is Stokes still a reach at 20?

Will he be there at 37?
        He's probably in that awkward in between area - 28-32 range. Tough to justify the reach at 20, unlikely he drops to 37. Perhaps the Raps acquire a late 1st to grab him.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, but Melo posts up a lot because he's usually matched up against average-sized SFs. Put a PF on him and he plays out on the perimeter where he can beat the guy off the dribble. That's why those big SFs are mismatches: because they can beat SFs in the post, or beat PFs on the perimeter. You're not going to defend them successfully with a guy who can defend only one of those two styles.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            but if you throw stokes on melo, he's going to stop posting up and rip your team a new one worse than if you let him post up.

and btw, if stokes can guard 4s in the league, i don't mind the pick. I just hope casey never tries to play him as a 3, because it's not going to end well.
            I was thinking more of throwing him on him for stretches. No way in hell could he guard them for a full game, I don't think anyone can. You throw a quick guy like t ross on him than if he scores a couple from the post throw stokes at him and once he starts driving switch it up again. Just keep him uneasy and just don't let him get comfortable. He's gonna score no matter what, you just have to minimize his opportunities

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
              Is Stokes still a reach at 20?

Will he be there at 37?
              honestly his size and strenght i can see him going in the first round now if you see the 20th pick to the say 40th pick as players around the same ability then maybe u take him at 20 cause at 37 you are getting the same level of player. like i said before as long as anderson is on the board I personally wouldnt look at anyone else.

Comment

• Risk101 (Toronto)

What are your thought on Damien Inglis.

Chad Ford
                (1:34 PM)

He has some buzz now ... really ever since the Nike Hoop Summit. I think he goes 25-36. Somewhere in that range.
                Just missed Inglis!

Rich (Tennessee)

Jarnell Stokes at 22. Seems awful high?

Chad Ford
                (1:51 PM)

Not really. The analytics love him. Both physically and statistically he's very, very close to Julius Randle who people are convinced might be an All-Star someday. I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the draft.
                Ford has Stokes at 22

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Comment

I was thinking more of throwing him on him for stretches. No way in hell could he guard them for a full game, I don't think anyone can. You throw a quick guy like t ross on him than if he scores a couple from the post throw stokes at him and once he starts driving switch it up again. Just keep him uneasy and just don't let him get comfortable. He's gonna score no matter what, you just have to minimize his opportunities
                  Okay... but if all you're trying to do is take him out of the post when he starts to get comfortable there, you could do that with any PF that can defend in the post; I don't see what Stokes brings to that matchup that Johnson or Patterson don't have, and both those guys can defend stretch 4s somewhat, and both of them have midrange games at the other end.

If you're worried about those big SFs, then Grant is a far better solution, because he has the potential to defend them both in the post and the perimeter (needs to add more weight to defend in the post, but I like the chances of him becoming a post defender far more than Stokes becoming a perimeter defender).

Comment

• Highlight of Jarnell Stokes before he attended Tennessee. Jarnell Stoke is also a very smart get. Graduated from HS in December an enrolled at Tennessee in January. That's why his a 20 year old junior.

http://youtu.be/4JW_dO64sW4

Chad Ford chat today

Rich (Tennessee)
                    Jarnell Stokes at 22. Seems awful high?

Chad Ford
                    Not really. The analytics love him. Both physically and statistically he's very, very close to Julius Randle who people are convinced might be an All-Star someday. I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                      Okay... but if all you're trying to do is take him out of the post when he starts to get comfortable there, you could do that with any PF that can defend in the post; I don't see what Stokes brings to that matchup that Johnson or Patterson don't have, and both those guys can defend stretch 4s somewhat, and both of them have midrange games at the other end.

If you're worried about those big SFs, then Grant is a far better solution, because he has the potential to defend them both in the post and the perimeter (needs to add more weight to defend in the post, but I like the chances of him becoming a post defender far more than Stokes becoming a perimeter defender).
                      I know man I agree with you. I don't think stokes should be our number one priority I was just looking at scenarios where stokes would work. People were saying he wouldn't so I just wanted to add my piece of mind into it.

I also think grant would solve the big sf issues. But the problem with him is his shot. Right now I'm looking at getting Payton or enis at 20 and inglis at 37.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Because its one of the most stupidest post i read in these forums. And i read a lot of stupid ones. Stokes at SF? really? i don't think you've seen him play at all this past season. Just because he's 6'8 and runs the floor well doesn't mean he can play SF in the NBA.

Stokes played C in Tennessee. He's a back to the basket type of player, a power player. He's 6'8 263lbs. Can shoot the ball a little bit. Think of Jared Sullinger. Similar game, body type is similar as well. Do you think Sullinger can play SF?
                        Again, no real point to everyones assertion that its ridiculous to have a 6'8'' play SF. PPat can play SF, Tobias Harris plays SF, and both are taller than Stokes. Those are the SF models that Stokes can fit in.

Read any draft website, he is a tweener not a pure PF and not even close to C. He is a bit short of PF actually, but thick enough to hold his own. I have already presented the fact that people consider his agility and speed to be a strength.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Projecting top 30 NBA prospects by numbers

2. Clint Capela, PF, Switzerland
                          Win%: .497 | Age: 19.9 | WARP projection: 3.4

As I noted in last week's analysis of the top international prospects in the draft, which highlighted the overall strength of the group, Capela performed well both in the French Pro A league and in his team's brief stint in the EuroCup against more challenging competition. He is an excellent shot-blocker for a power forward and is arguably the best finisher in this year's draft, as reflected by his projected 54.4 percent 2-point accuracy.

12. Jarnell Stokes, PF, Tennessee Volunteers
                          Win%: .441 | Age: 20.3 | WARP projection: 1.9

Stokes is this year's foremost example of an undersized power forward who the scouts have largely ignored but the numbers really like. He is young for a junior, a terror on the offensive glass and a skilled scorer.

27. Adreian Payne, PF, Michigan State Spartans
                          Win%: .418 | Age: 23.2 | WARP projection: -0.1

As with Early, Payne's age pushes down his WARP projection -- all the way into the negatives. That may be too pessimistic, though, as Payne could develop into the rare stretch 4 who is an asset, and not a liability, on the defensive end.

10. Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse Orange
                          Win%: .432 | Age: 19.7 | WARP projection: 2.0

For a freshman point guard, Ennis was remarkably sure-handed. Outside of Exum, his projected assist rate is the best of any likely first-round pick. But Ennis' elite steal rate, compiled as part of Syracuse's 2-3 zone, should be treated with some skepticism.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...Twitter_Pelton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            Again, no real point to everyones assertion that its ridiculous to have a 6'8'' play SF. PPat can play SF, Tobias Harris plays SF, and both are taller than Stokes. Those are the SF models that Stokes can fit in.

Read any draft website, he is a tweener not a pure PF and not even close to C. He is a bit short of PF actually, but thick enough to hold his own. I have already presented the fact that people consider his agility and speed to be a strength.
                            No he can't.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              No he can't.
                              PPat can and does play SF for us. Don't be daft.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post

And as I already pointed out, the sources you provided describing him as needing to work on quickness and being beat easily by quick ball-handlers, and those opinions are simply looking at him as a PF. Draftexpress calls him a PF/C tweener, not tall enough to defend Cs and too slow to defend PFs.

Comment

Working...
                                X