Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford's latest chat:

Tim (DC)

Everyone is raving about Marcus Smart's intangibles, but I remember reading very similar things about Michael Kidd-Gilchrist two years ago. Both players both have significant flaws in their game, and for MKG no amount of intangibles has been able to fix those flaws. Are you, or NBA teams worried about overrating intangibles and overlooking issues because of it?

Chad Ford
    (1:30 PM)

I was guilty of that with MKG and probably have been again with Smart. You love players that play as hard and as selflessly as they do. But you're right. Despite all of the talk about the work Smart did on his jumper this summer -- it's only marginally better and he still is working on his feel for running the point. The thinking is that hard working kids like this with a love for the game will figure it out. I still think MKG will -- especially if he ever landed on the right team. Think Smart will as well. But you're right, there are risks.

Nik (Canada)

Who has a better upside, Wiggins or Joel Embiid?

Chad Ford
    (1:37 PM)

They are the two players with the most upside in the draft. We've been talking like Wiggins is that guy all year. But the more I watch Embiid, the more I think he's the guy with the highest ceiling. And frankly, lately he's been the best player for KU. He's going to get a lot of looks at No. 1. Risky, but he has sooooo much potential. Teams kicking themselves for not rolling the dice on Antetokoumnpo.

Rick (Seattle)

Who's the No. 1 pick if the draft were held today?

Chad Ford
    (1:40 PM)

No consensus at the moment. Scouts and GMs all over the place. For the conservative GMs, it will be either Parker or Randle. Both guys are NBA ready now and have almost zero downside. Hard to imagine either guy busting at the next level. For the risk takers, Wiggins, Embiid and Exum are the names. They have more upside than Parker and Randle, but considerably more downside as well. Wiggins remains atop our Big Board at No. 1. But Embiid and Parker are both making very strong pushes.

Caden (Michigan)

Why do you still have Wiggins ahead of Parker? Parker is a sure thing and could be a 24-7-3 guy in the NBA. Wiggins is very inconsistent and has a lot of risk to him.

Chad Ford
    (1:42 PM)

Our Top 100 and Big Board are based on the consensus of NBA scouts and GMs I speak with. About 50 people's opinions go into it. Right now Wiggins has a very slight lead. It's all about upside. They feel the NBA style of play will free up Wiggins and think his athletic upside will ultimately make him a better player in the long run. No one is disputing that right now, Jabari Parker is the best prospect. They're trying to project 3 to 5 years from now.

John Calipari (Lexington)

How is James Young not in your top 10? He scores effortlessly and is a fluid athlete. The the scouts who saw Kentucky's scrimmages this summer rated him higher than Randle. Is Kentucky's failure to roll off decisive wins hurting his stock?

Chad Ford
    (1:44 PM)

He's sitting right outside it. Needs to be more consistent with that jumper. Scouts and our reporters also said Wayne Selden was the best freshman at KU. Not in the Top 2 once the season began. Games > scrimmages.

Cory (US)

Zach Lavine is quick and athletic but he doesn't use his ability to attack the basket, instead he jacks up 20 footers all game, what GM actually thinks he is ready for the NBA?

Chad Ford
    (1:47 PM)

No one thinks he's ready. No thinks Wiggins or Embiid or Aaron Gordon is ready. I think scouts thought the entire 2013 draft class wasn't ready. Ready isn't the most important thing. It's long-term potential. LaVine has all the tools that scouts are looking for. He's, for the most part, produced all year. He had a bad second half against Duke on national TV in front of a bunch of scouts. He was pressing too much and took a bunch of ill advised shots. But ultimately, you can't put too much on one game. Go back and watch the tape. He's a NBA player. Just needs some time.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49663

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Chad Ford's latest chat:

url]http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49663[/url]
      Thanks for regularly posting these. I don't have the time to find them on my own.

Comment

• From all these chats I've read it seems like their are no sure things except maybe Parker and Randle. Even with those two have red flags on defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          From all these chats I've read it seems like their are no sure things except maybe Parker and Randle. Even with those two have red flags on defensive.

But there never are sure things.
          *Greg Oden*

The vibe I get is just that Parker and Randle are really, really NBA ready.
          Like, they barely have to improve and they will be good NBA players.

That's all.

Comment

• Shrub wrote: View Post
            But there never are sure things.
            *Greg Oden*

The vibe I get is just that Parker and Randle are really, really NBA ready.
            Like, they barely have to improve and they will be good NBA players.

That's all.
            i have never rated a prospect in the lottery whose primary strength is a strong jumpshot. they are good pieces to pick late in the draft but they are usually the worst of the lot.

Oden is a risk worth taking.

Randle/Wiggins/Parker are consensus top pick for the same reason.

Noah Vonleh and Glenn Robinson III look alrite in the mid-range picks. anyone seen them play recently?

Comment

• College hoops is so fun to watch this year, there's talent everywhere. Masai is the type of GM that picks a guy no one expects with the 20th pick and he turns into a monster. Have faith in the Messiah

A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Watching Kansas-Toledo on TSN2. First game I've seen Embiid where he looks like he could easily belong in in the NBA.

Comment

• That spin move he did on the baseline and hitting the reverse layup brought up memories of Olajuwon

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    That spin move he did on the baseline and hitting the reverse layup brought up memories of Olajuwon
                    Yeah, his nimbleness on his feet is by far the most intriguing thing about him.

Still though, Toledo is not a team with good size and talent up front.

Comment

• I've been following Doug McDermott since his sophomore year in Creighton. And everytime i watch him play i dont understand why these 'so called' experts compares him to Kyle Korver. The only similirities they have is their both SF, white and they can both shoot light outs from beyond the arc.

McDermott is more than a spot up 3pt shooter. He can do a lot more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8hO5QWJYw
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10152698

Chad ford Henry Abbott talking draft

Good video
                        That's a great video. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

• The Real 2014 Lottery Depth

I would love to get some insight from the folks who have been doing their research as to how deep you guys really think the 2014 draft is.

If you were a GM, how deep in the draft could you sit and still feel confident that you will get a player you really like? I want to hear about the guys who don't always get mentioned - the ones who could come out of nowhere and eclipse the expected franchise players, or the ones who look primed to be really solid role players.

Seems like I hear a new name constantly, and I want to know who intrigues you and why.

Comment

• Jerami Grant is interesting(related to Horace Grant). Draftexpress predict that he's going 19th in a draft. Not a lot of skill offensively(he lives on put backs and transition) but apparently he can guard 2 to 4 positions. So he has potential to be lockdown defender from what I read. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerami-Grant-6445/

Put back slam
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• This draft is 8 men deep IMO. Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Randle, Exum, Smart, Gordon, LaVine.

Then there are guys like McDermott and Robinson III who are both projected to go in the 10-15 range. Not bad. Big fan of McDermott for a while. And Robinson is a STUD. Reminds me a lot of his dad but more athletic and definitely a better defender.

Then there's Noah Vonleh. A 'potential' player. Probably would go top 10.

Then there's Rodney Hood. Who's one of the most interesting player in this draft because of his ability to shoot, lock down defender, and he can fly. Very athletic.

This draft is deeper than the 2003 draft IMO. If you get a top 12 pick maybe even top 15. You're going to get a real good player.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Well theres the top 7 everyone knows about. After that I'm confident going to around 18th pick getting significant talent i would be confident could come contribute. Guys that stand out to me are Arron Gordon, GR3, Ennis, noah vonleh, McDermott, Gary Harris, Christonson, then guys who are rated high but i don't see the fit on our tema at this moment are like Rodney Hood, Grant, James Young.

Im happy with those guys buttt id be much happier with a exum, smart etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X