No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya Embiid ooooozes with talent. He has only been playing for like 3 years too

I think I would consider trading Val for him

Comment

• 5 years after this draft the 3 best players will be Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Dante Exum
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Meh, I don't really get the Glenn Robinson hype that a couple of you seem to like. He seems timid, no real skills offensively and not a great understanding of the game.He disappears from games very regularly, of course his athleticism and defensive potential can't be ignored, but in a draft like this i'd be looking elsewhere.

Comment

• Damn. Embiid really looks a lot like Hakeem in all these gifs. Footwork is amazing for a big man.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...g-man-prospect
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Tom IZZO thinks Harris is special:

Gary Harris, welcome to a new career-high in points, and by all appearances, 100 percent health. Just not quite 100 percent fitness.

Michigan State's star sophomore guard scored 26 points, including nine straight for the Spartans in one second-half stretch, as MSU beat Indiana 73-56 in Bloomington. Spartans coach Tom Izzo said Harris is still building his endurance from all of the time he missed last month as he rehabbed an ankle injury that he aggravated in the Dec. 4 loss to North Carolina.

"He's a special player, and I promise he's not even close to where he's going to be," Izzo said.

Harris, a Sporting News second-team All-American entering the year, started that stretch with a steal and a slam dunk that signaled that the right ankle he aggravated vs. the Tar Heels is no longer an issue. He also nailed five 3-pointers, the most of any game this season.

After the UNC game, Harris missed the next two games vs. Oakland and North Florida to rest, then returned for a Dec. 21 game at Texas and has been playing since. That 17-day stretch to manage the injury should pay off with the Spartans now facing Big Ten competition each night. Harris played 37 minutes and admitted to being "dead tired" afterward.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ical-unbeatens

Comment

• embiids gonna be a bust.

Comment

• Odds and ends from NBADraft.net:

Who's Cold

Zach LaVine, UCLA

LaVine has cooled off since bursting onto the scene in the Pac-12 at the beginning of the season. He’s failed to score in double figures the last three games with a high of just eight points in that span. The freshman was a huge spark of the bench for the Bruin offense, but with his lack of production and depth on the squad he has had fewer shot opportunities.
                LaVine is too electrifying and has too good of a jumper to stay cold forever, so look for him to bounce back and regain his off the bench energy with conference play starting this week.

http://www.nbadraft.net/beaver-believer
                Who's Hot

James Young - Kentucky

Young continues to be a huge "X-Factor" for this Wildcat team. When he's playing well, so does everyone else. On Saturday afternoon against Louisville it was Young t hat seemingly hit big shot after big shot in the team's win over the higher ranked Cardinals. He has such a smooth stroke that you feel like the ball should go through the net every time he lets it go. If you look at Young's shooting percentages, you'd probably wonder why he's so highly touted. He's shooting below 40% from the field and from distance and is shooting below 70% from the charity stripe. A lot of that has to do with him no letting the game come to him and getting a little out of control and rushed at times on the court. When he slows down and plays within himself he looks like the best player on this team outside of Julius Randle.

It will be his continued progression on the defensive end that will be key for his draft status as well as for the team. He has the ability and size to be a lock down defender a la [Player: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist]. He doesn't have the same athleticism or instincts as MKG nor does he have the same motor but if he can somehow become motivated to try and take over on both ends of the floor then the sky is the limit for this kid with his ability to shoot the ball.

http://www.nbadraft.net/american-idol

Who’s Hot

TJ Warren, NC State

With the rock or without it, inside or outside –Warren is a master. He’s scored 20+ in eight straight games, which includes cracking the 30 plateau three times. In home contests versus ECU and Missouri, Warren averaged 28 points on 52% shooting, 10.5 boards, 2.5 assists, two steals and 1.5 blocks. Warren has a knack for finding soft spots in the defense, and he worked the baseline to perfection vs. Mizzou. If he starts to play through contact and get to the free throw line regularly, his 24 PPG should sustain during conference play. NC State would really benefit from the emergence of a second scorer to take some attention/pressure off their prized sophomore.

http://nbadraft.net/duke-nukem

Falling

Semaj Christon, Xavier

A firm preference to attack the basket is one thing… but Christon takes stubborn to another level. Defenses are baiting the drive happy Christon right now, and he needs to make the adjustment. He committed three offensive fouls versus Cincinnati on head down, tunnel vision drives. While he might outmaneuver Evansville and Bowling Green, he’ll need variety to keep defenses in the Big East honest. Christon played a strong floor game at Alabama, but shot just 4/11 against a sagging defense limiting his short pull-ups and floaters. It’s a good thing he’s a tremendous finisher at 6’3 because he’ll be driving into a heavy dose of paint congestion. We could see more Brandon Randolph at the point with Christon working off the ball. He’s taken a step back to #19 in the 2014 mock.

http://nbadraft.net/stock-watch-14

Comment

• Evia99 wrote: View Post
                  embiids gonna be a bust.
                  Because?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but he reminds me of Thabeet or Olowokandi. watched a handful of games and nothing really stands out other then the fact that he's 7 feet and can jump.

Comment

embiids gonna be a bust.
                      I don't get this at all. He's faar more talented than Thabeet ever was.
                      Which is where I assume your projection, at least in part, is coming from?

Comment

it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but he reminds me of Thabeet or Olowokandi. watched a handful of games and nothing really stands out other then the fact that he's 7 feet and can jump.
                        Right, so as I say, he's far more talented than Thabeet. And all one has to do is look at very basic stats to see this ..
                        Thabeet was a Junior when he finally put it together and had his best year for UConn.
                        Embiid is a Freshman, and already putting up better, or equal, numbers, at a higher efficiency rate than Thabeet ever accomplished.

If you want to go all scout on it, look at Embiid's footwork. Its incredible compared to Thabeet who could just jump and block.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Right, so as I say, he's far more talented than Thabeet. And all one has to do is look at very basic stats to see this ..
                          Thabeet was a Junior when he finally put it together and had his best year for UConn.
                          Embiid is a Freshman, and already putting up better, or equal, numbers, at a higher efficiency rate than Thabeet ever accomplished.

If you want to go all scout on it, look at Embiid's footwork. Its incredible compared to Thabeet who could just jump and block.
                          fair enough. having said that, I don't see it. theres tons of athletic big men that don't produce on an nba level? theyre comparing him to Olajuwon? lets see

Comment

it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but he reminds me of Thabeet or Olowokandi. watched a handful of games and nothing really stands out other then the fact that he's 7 feet and can jump.
                            What?

I've seen both Olowokandi and Thabeet play when they were both playing college ball. No comparison at all. Embiid is 10x more talented than both the Kandi Man and Thabeet combined. Embiid's footwork alone blows them out of the water.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The thing about Embiid is I haven't seen him do anything against half decent competition. Even the "dream shake" clip posted higher in this thread is kind of not even close to the real thing. The guy he's playing is at least as slow and flat footed as any big I've ever seen. And the two best games I've seen from Embiid personally have been against guys who'll be lucky(to say the least) to sniff 2nd tier Euro pro leagues.

He has a lot yet to prove, even at the college level. So far his footwork is the only thing I've been impressed with at times. And his shotblocking has been pretty good, though not as elite as one might hope for someone like him.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                What?

I've seen both Olowokandi and Thabeet play when they were both playing college ball. No comparison at all. Embiid is 10x more talented than both the Kandi Man and Thabeet combined. Embiid's footwork alone blows them out of the water.
                                are you kidding me? you compared him to Olajuwon! he doesn't stand out. sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X