No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was down in DC this weekend to watch the Ravens game (epic) and we were watching ESPN and they had a Bio Profile of Wiggins on the screen. They had his nickname as "Maple Jordan"?? Anyone ever heard that or is ESPN completely bath-salt crazy?

Hands down, the worst possible nickname ever.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• "Air Canada" was just as bad, and somehow, that actually stuck :|

Comment

• At least Air Canada sounds kinda cool to say, especially when Swirsk said it.

Maple Jordan just sounds awful.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          At least Air Canada sounds kinda cool to say, especially when Swirsk said it.

Maple Jordan just sounds awful.
          They should name Dirk "American Airlines"....also named after the building he plays in....

Comment

• Comment

• So jacked for this game! Hope MU will be there.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Another thought here. What if some of the potential draft studs decide to stay in college for another year for the chance to be the top pick (or thereabouts) in 2015? At some point, because of the rookie scale contract, it might make financial sense to do so. Discuss.
                All the more reason not to tank. If a franchise and it's fans are reliant on a lottery ball to alter the history of a franchise that franchise is already doomed to fail.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  All the more reason not to tank. If a franchise and it's fans are reliant on a lottery ball to alter the history of a franchise that franchise is already doomed to fail.
                  Any strategy has risk associated with it, but history has proven over and over that the draft (ie: top-5 pick) is the most effective means of building a contending roster, regardless of how/why you wind up with that top-5 pick. Of course the Raptors could be "beat" by other tanking teams, or have bad luck in the lottery, or draft a bust. However, you can't simply conclude that the draft is useless (especially such a deep, loaded draft) because of the inherent risks.

You also forget and/or ignore that tanking is about sooooo much more than just the Raptors' own 2014 1st round draft pick.

Benefits of tanking this year:
                  - improve own draft positioning for 2014 draft
                  - acquire additional draft picks (in 2014 draft and future drafts)
                  - acquire young/cheap prospects
                  - clear cap space by receiving expiring contracts in trade (to pursue free agents)
                  - rebuild the team's core with more talented players that fit together better
                  - a new non-BC core lead by a new coach next season, will do wonders to create a fresh, optimistic culture for the Raptors and their fans
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

At this point I don't think a lot of the tankers are about the lottery balls.

IT's about the fact that this team is very obviously and basically flawed. None of the issues they had going into the offseason are fixable by internal growth, especially with the same coach. There's no reason to wait that long to start fixing things.

*The strong draft is just added incentive. I mean, it's not likely the Raps could improve their current roster through trades. So ideally they get one or two solid current assets, and maybe a couple of future assets (picks), while clearing cap space so that they can start rebuilding how they want maybe as soon as this coming summer.

Comment

I fail to see the risk.

If the choice is to either (1), stick with the current group and stink, or (2) get rid of the stink, collect 2-3 lottery picks, and see how they fair, the choice seems obvious.

Option (1) = suck now + suck later

Option (2) = suck now + potentially good later

Now before anyone tries to convince me that the current group could theoretically turn things around and start winning games, I should point out that the starting unit has been together for about 40 games now (going back to last season). That's enough of a sample size to realize we don't have a juggernaut.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Nilanka;246325]I fail to see the risk.

If the choice is to either (1), stick with the current group and stink, or (2) get rid of the stink, collect 2-3 lottery picks, and see how they fair, the choice seems obvious.

Option (1) = suck now + suck later

Option (2) = suck now + potentially good later

Now before anyone tries to convince me that the current group could theoretically turn things around and start winning games, I should point out that the starting unit has been together for about 40 games now (going back to last season). That's enough of a sample size to realize we don't have a juggernaut.[/QUOTE]

Losing to the Bobcats (again) should have accomplished that.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Hey hey hey!

Keep the tanking talk out of here. Refer to the first post. Lots of places for that discussion.

This should be all about he prospects..... Just saying

Comment

• that dude out of Creighton is killing it
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• A scout said Julius Randle is better than Wiggins and that he should be picked before him in the draft. Will be interesting to see how this turns out

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                                A scout said Julius Randle is better than Wiggins and that he should be picked before him in the draft. Will be interesting to see how this turns out
                                I think Randle and Parker will both be better than Wiggins out of the gate.

But Wiggins imo has the most upside of any of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X