Everything Hansbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed Axel.

It depends on so many things right.... sometimes youre killing a team inside, and you need to continue...or maybe the opposition is takin git to the paint on you and you need to stop momentum. I know the patsies dont like hard fouls, but, when a guy like Wade, or any of the other paint crashers is setting a tone on you, the officials use it as a gauge to make calls. Hansborough is a guy on those occasions who will literally defend the paint and make it a bit less nice of a place for these high flyers to vacation.

TH is an option, a good one. I said in another thread thta there were literally 3-4 guys who were not being traded this year, he is one of them.

Comment

“Coach (Casey) was very excited about Tyler and that is how coaches are,” Ujiri said. “You bring in players that play the way (the Coach) wants to play and they are excited, but generally everybody knows the caliber of player (Hansbrough) is. Toughness, grit and a winner for sure, he has won every step of the way. We want to add those kinds of players.”

“Tyler’s intensity, if you don’t bring it with him you are going to get your butt kicked and he has taken the level of intensity, especially in the painted area to another level and we needed that,” Casey said. “(Hansbrough) gave us another huge jolt in the arm as far as his ability to get to the free throw line, to get tough rebounds, to create space in the paint, to set screens. That is just how he plays on every possession. Not every other possession, every possession and that is contagious. Our intensity level just took another step up when he walked into the gym.”

Tyler Hansbrough - Pro Bball Report

The starting vs off the bench issue for Tyler Hansbrough is kind of mute. The Raptors only have 3 bigs they can count on at the 4/5 that play Casey's style. JV, Amir & Hansbrough will split most of the minutes at the 4/5. As Casey has said, you only go small when you get behind and need to score - that will happen, but it won't be the preferred way the Raptors will play.

Plus of Amir, JV & Tyler - its Tyler that has the best record of not getting into foul trouble. The starting vs coming off the bench situation between Amir & Tyler will resolve itself over time, but they will both likely play the same number of minutes no matter who starts
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

For everyone calling tyler a role player... which he is you do realize him taking the starting 4 job from amir is basically replacing a role player for a role player right?

Raps dont have a legitimate starting 4 so it doesnt really matter who starts I just like Hansborough being in early and being an irritant to the opposing starters, I like him off the bench as Augustin runs point and they obviously have chemistry and what bench big can handle Hansborough? lots of shit to think about.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          ...I just like Hansborough being in early and being an irritant to the opposing starters...and what bench big can handle Hansborough?...
          Bullseye

Comment

There will be plenty of nights where one of Amir or Jonas gets into early foul trouble. Tyler will get his.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              There will be plenty of nights where one of Amir or Jonas gets into early foul trouble. Tyler will get his.
              What troubles me about this is that we have 3 Bigs that draw a lot of fouls it means Gray will likely see time..... :/ Do we really need him setting picks on Kyle Lowry ugh

Comment

What troubles me about this is that we have 3 Bigs that draw a lot of fouls it means Gray will likely see time..... :/ Do we really need him setting picks on Kyle Lowry ugh
                Meh, it depends on situations. Obviously if Jonas is in foul trouble there's a good chance Gray gets some burn. I think though, that if it's Tyler and/or Amir, then we're more likely to see Acy, or small ball with Gay/Novak/Daye.

Comment

Tyler draws a lot of fouls (as in, other players foul him a lot), but Amir/Jonas commit a lot of fouls.

Tyler only averages around 4 fouls per 36 minutes. I think he's less of a concern from that point of view.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Oct 9, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I shudder at the thought of the Raps having to ply Gray, Daye or both for extended periods. If that happens the season is over gentlemen.

Comment

I just want to make a few points.

Starting isn't something you earn and get to keep. Yes Amir clawed his way into the starting lineup. But if starting Tyler Hansbrough = more wins, then people getting paid millions of dollars to play a game need to suck it up and do what's best for the team. You don't get seniority in competitive sports.

That being said. I might be wrong. I just think Hansbrough's intangibles fit better as a starting 4. I also think he is a more complete player than Amir.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

to the point about the foul rate. Given that Hansbrough's chief role is professional irritant, the fact that he succeeds at that, and still commits less fouls is telling
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I just want to make a few points.

Starting isn't something you earn and get to keep. Yes Amir clawed his way into the starting lineup. But if starting Tyler Hansbrough = more wins, then people getting paid millions of dollars to play a game need to suck it up and do what's best for the team. You don't get seniority in competitive sports.

That being said. I might be wrong. I just think Hansbrough's intangibles fit better as a starting 4. I also think he is a more complete player than Amir.
                          I think the exact opposite on both counts.

-Hansbrough's intangibles centre around being aggressive and having a really high motor. This is something the bench desperately needs, since guys like Fields, Ross and Augustin are all pretty weak personalities at this point. Amir's intangibles are...well he also has a high motor, but he's not as naturally aggressive, and is more of a 'try to fit in' type guy, aka a glue guy. The bench doesn't need a glue guy, it needs a leader, and that to me is Tyler for this season.

-Amir is the more complete player. Tyler is a post-up offensive player with limited game otherwise, apart from crashing the boards...and he's a decent defensive player who is less long and less quick than Amir while being a bit stronger. Amir is a better all-around defender because of his versatility, and a more complete offensive player as he's a better passer to say the least. He's a worse post-up player, but I don't think it's crazy to suggest he's better at every other aspect of offense than Tyler.

Now starting Tyler could work, and could be good for the starting unit, but I don't think it's as good as keeping Amir starting and having Tyler as the leader of the bench crew.

-Just to add this, given Amir's ability as a ball-mover and a guy who can play farther out in the offense, it makes so much more sense to me to start him. Starting Tyler means the paint will be more clogged, and at least he, JV and DeMar, as well as Rudy, will all need touches in the post. There's no balance there. And it takes the only 'glue guy' or utility guy, or whatever you want to call it, out of the starting lineup, which then could have 5 'shoot-first' players depending on how you view Lowry.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            And it takes the only 'glue guy' or utility guy, or whatever you want to call it, out of the starting lineup, which then could have 5 'shoot-first' players depending on how you view Lowry.
                            Good point. Watching just the first two pre-season (!) games it seems to me that the most dynamic players on the court were DeMar DeRozan and Tyler Hansbrough. As a fan, I would love to see those two guys work together with Valanciunas.

So far, I am not impressed with Mr. Gay. Unless he improves over the next month, he could be history. I have hopes for Ross, even though he is still pretty raw.

Comment

Working...
                            X