Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Nothing there intrigues me unless you're getting Granger's huge expiring and losing Fields or Hayes in the process.
    Aye there's the rub

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k8gqp76
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• http://www.red94.net/huqs-pen-espns-...rockets/13921/

So regarding that Lowry for Lin exchange.

I thought it was ridiculous at first. From the perspective of past history, I still do. However lets assume for one moment that Lowry and McHale were able to patch their differences OR a new coach was brought in to Houston.

If you trade for Lowry, it’s a safe assumption you are hoping it works out. If it works out, and you keep him, it will probably cost you, at the least, $8million/annually to extend him. There goes that ’15 money.

Now if it doesn’t work out, and you let him walk, your coffers are still in tact, but you lost Lin for nothing. This is where difference of opinion takes over as I’m not of the opinion that Lin is a guy that you just give away just to get out from under his contract. But my opinion is a minority opinion. Most people feel that contract is an albatross and that just makes very little sense to me. I’d only trade Lin if I got something back in return, not just to get rid of him. But in any event…

If you bring back Lowry, and you get initial feelers that it is a long term fit, then you might as well just deal Asik for either Green or Young. Because at that point, ’15 is out the window.
      The above is what the argument comes down to for Houston - they are gearing up for 2015 free agency and Kevin Love in particular.

I think that is a huge risk for a in his prime but starting to decline Howard. The Rockets also have to make a decision on Chandler Parsons: decline his options this this summer which takes away any shot of signing a max free agent in 2015 but ensures Parsons does not walk without anything in return or keep Parsons for another year on $965K but have him unrestricted and risk losing for nothing. So if Rockets think Lowry is an answer at PG capable of playing off ball with Harden and he has matured with ability to patch things up with McHale (or hire new coach) them trading for him makes sense.

For the Raptors why would they do it? Asset accumulation of course and shedding salary.

If Lowry could return Lin and his huge contract, a prospect such as Montiejunas, shedding Novak, and NY Knicks 2014 and 2015 2nd round picks, that has to be considered.

Then come the summer/draft night, Raptors could look to the Lakers with Lin. Why would Lakers want Lin over Lowry? Connection with D'Antoni, marketing/$$$, better than Nash, but most importantly: Lin comes off books for 2015. Lakers would be in position to sign a max free agent in 2014, a max free agent in 2015, and another in 2016 when Kobe comes off books. I know I've talked about Lowry for Nash but doing that removes possibility of ever signing 3 max players. Same with having Kobe's contract with a high lottery pick, Lakers are taking themselves out of max free agent sweepstakes in 2015 (Love, possibly James) and 2016 (Durant).

So in a nutshell: trading Lowry to Houston as stated in this rumour/speculative piece from ESPN Insider could end up leading to a prospect, 2 2nd round picks, cap space for 2015 and 2016, and moving up in 2014 draft through Lakers pick.

Then again, Raptors could always keep Lowry for a playoff run this year and sign and trade with Houston and then make a trade with the Lakers..... assuming Houston and Lowry wanted to try again.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        http://www.red94.net/huqs-pen-espns-...rockets/13921/

Then come the summer/draft night, Raptors could look to the Lakers with Lin. Why would Lakers want Lin over Lowry? Connection with D'Antoni, marketing/$$$, better than Nash, but most importantly: Lin comes off books for 2015. Lakers would be in position to sign a max free agent in 2014, a max free agent in 2015, and another in 2016 when Kobe comes off books. I know I've talked about Lowry for Nash but doing that removes possibility of ever signing 3 max players. Same with having Kobe's contract with a high lottery pick, Lakers are taking themselves out of max free agent sweepstakes in 2015 (Love, possibly James) and 2016 (Durant).
        Let's just assume that this blockbuster of Lin for Lowry and all associated pieces went through. Who would we acquire from the Lakers for Lin's $15 million contract?! That would mean we would have to take back roughly the same dollar amount. From a shedding $ perspective, this doesn't make much sense. Already after this year we're losing $7 mil + $7 mil + $6.2 mil if we let Lowry, Amir and Salmons walk. I assume Salmons won't be picked up, but we'll likely pick up Amir, and if Lowry gets dealt it seems likely that we'll get draft picks rather than a similarly skilled player.

In my opinion I don't see a player out there that we could trade Lowry for that could give us instant personnel gratification, the only viable option I can see going forward would be to trade him for draft picks and another expiring contract so that we net some draft picks rather than let him just walk in free agency and yield nothing for him. But obviously, that would take away from a thrilling playoff ride this year.

Tough hand for Masai to deal with!

Comment

• MoPeteRules wrote: View Post
          Let's just assume that this blockbuster of Lin for Lowry and all associated pieces went through. Who would we acquire from the Lakers for Lin's $15 million contract?!
          People still don't understand this, so let's repeat again: Lin's cap hit next year is not $15 million. It's $8 million, the average of the three years of his contract. The team that has Lin has to pay him the $15 million, yes, but Lin only counts against the cap for $8 million of it. Teams are still reluctant to take the contract because that extra seven million is a bitter pill to pay, but for a large market team like us or the Lakers, it's not a big deal at all.

Comment

• Uncle Drew wants out of Cleveland. Thoughts? A fair swap for Kyle?
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post

Uncle Drew wants out of Cleveland. Thoughts? A fair swap for Kyle?
              Interesting story. So if I read this right, he is due this offseason for max offer. If he declines it, does he sign a one year deal and then become a restricted free agent the next year? Any recent examples of that?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Interesting story. So if I read this right, he is due this offseason for max offer. If he declines it, does he sign a one year deal and then become a restricted free agent the next year? Any recent examples of that?
                No, because players aren't stupid; you're effectively torpedoing your own value by announcing you're a bit of a malcontent in order to become a restricted free agent, which means the team you don't want to be on can match your salary anyway.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland trades Kyrie, because he's their star player. Far more likely is Chris Grant gets desperate because he knows his job is on the line and he makes a panic trade giving away a good asset in exchange for a near-star-level player in the hopes he can somehow make it work. I can see him making a serious play for Aaron Afflalo, for example, or Jeff Green, or Greg Monroe, or Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner. He's got all those spare picks left and spare picks don't do a fired GM any good; he's got tons of young talent like Dion Waiters or Tristan Thompson that he can immediately upgrade.

He's basically Bryan Colangelo last year: he'll convince himself that some trade for someone he can pretend is a star player is what lets him keep his job, and if he can turn a not-immediately-useful asset into a solid roleplayer he'll likely jump at that, too.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                  No, because players aren't stupid; you're effectively torpedoing your own value by announcing you're a bit of a malcontent in order to become a restricted free agent, which means the team you don't want to be on can match your salary anyway.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland trades Kyrie, because he's their star player. Far more likely is Chris Grant gets desperate because he knows his job is on the line and he makes a panic trade giving away a good asset in exchange for a near-star-level player in the hopes he can somehow make it work. I can see him making a serious play for Aaron Afflalo, for example, or Jeff Green, or Greg Monroe, or Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner. He's got all those spare picks left and spare picks don't do a fired GM any good; he's got tons of young talent like Dion Waiters or Tristan Thompson that he can immediately upgrade.

He's basically Bryan Colangelo last year: he'll convince himself that some trade for someone he can pretend is a star player is what lets him keep his job, and if he can turn a not-immediately-useful asset into a solid roleplayer he'll likely jump at that, too.
                  very well said.

Comment

• Interesting article about GS & Barnes: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...new-brand-bust

GS was one of the teams rumored to be interested in Lowry earlier in the season. I wonder if MU might be able to pry Barnes away in a trade for Lowry. It would be one deal that MU would have to take a long hard look at...

Comment

• http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forums/showthread.php?11431-Potential-trade-destinations-for-Lowry-Dec-12-NY-a-match/page66

Lowry is playing for a contract. His performance this season is going to pay off in a big way barring a serious injury.

Comment

• From ESPN:

Fact or Fiction: The Raptors should move Lowry before the deadline.

Adande: Fiction. Kyle Lowry's impending free agency diminishes his trade value ... and actually increases the consolation if the Raptors don't trade him. If there isn't a player on an absolute bargain of a contract coming back in a trade, might as well let Lowry walk and take $6.5 million off the payroll with him. Or the Raptors could use their Bird rights to re-sign a borderline All-Star.

Elhassan: Fiction. Somewhat related to the argument I made in my column about Boston keeping Rondo, finding good two-way point guards is increasingly difficult in this age of tremendous talent at that position. Lowry can be prickly, but he is productive, an intense competitor and only 27, and there's no guarantee Toronto can find even an adequate replacement to build around moving forward.

Feldman: Fiction. I understand Masai Ujiri's fear of having to re-sign Lowry to a big contract this summer, and now would definitely be a chance to sell high. But the Raptors, who have missed the NBA's past five postseasons, are the NBA's feel-good story. Ride out this season's eclectic roster and enjoy it.

Strauss: Fiction. It's too late for Toronto to tank its way to a 2014 lottery pick, so the Raps might as well compete. Historically bad franchises generally shouldn't trade their best player if the playoffs are in sight.

Sunnergren: Fiction. This is a strange situation. Lowry has been the best point guard -- maybe the best guard -- in the East this season, but the trade market for him seems tepid. Couple this with the fact that, at 26-22, Toronto already has done too much winning to make a run at lottery balls, and it looks as though the smartest play for Ujiri is to hang on to his catalyst.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Good idea to trade Lowry: Fact or Fiction

Adande: Fiction. Kyle Lowry's impending free agency diminishes his trade value ... and actually increases the consolation if the Raptors don't trade him. If there isn't a player on an absolute bargain of a contract coming back in a trade, might as well let Lowry walk and take $6.5 million off the payroll with him. Or the Raptors could use their Bird rights to re-sign a borderline All-Star.

Elhassan: Fiction. Somewhat related to the argument I made in my column about Boston keeping Rondo, finding good two-way point guards is increasingly difficult in this age of tremendous talent at that position. Lowry can be prickly, but he is productive, an intense competitor and only 27, and there's no guarantee Toronto can find even an adequate replacement to build around moving forward.

Feldman: Fiction. I understand Masai Ujiri's fear of having to re-sign Lowry to a big contract this summer, and now would definitely be a chance to sell high. But the Raptors, who have missed the NBA's past five postseasons, are the NBA's feel-good story. Ride out this season's eclectic roster and enjoy it.

Strauss: Fiction. It's too late for Toronto to tank its way to a 2014 lottery pick, so the Raps might as well compete. Historically bad franchises generally shouldn't trade their best player if the playoffs are in sight.

Sunnergren: Fiction. This is a strange situation. Lowry has been the best point guard -- maybe the best guard -- in the East this season, but the trade market for him seems tepid. Couple this with the fact that, at 26-22, Toronto already has done too much winning to make a run at lottery balls, and it looks as though the smartest play for Ujiri is to hang on to his catalyst.
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...deadline-moves

thought some people here would find this interesting
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Why is all this Lowry talk happening in the draft thread?
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                              Why is all this Lowry talk happening in the draft thread?
                              Lowry along with DD are big "trade" chips for potentially acquiring a lottery pick this year that's why.

Comment

• Who's giving up a draft pick for an expiring contract? This thread is for talking about prospects.

Comment

Working...
                                X