X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yup.
    Spot
    on.

Also, I bet some of those thoughts came directly from this forum.
    Didn't they Bill?

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
      Is there any evidence that these so called "magic men" from the draft will get us where we need to go?
      Axel wrote: View Post
      Yes. Years of NBA evidence prove that the best players in the league all came from the draft. Many of them from a top 6 pick.
      Well, you didn't answer his question, but most best players come from top of the draft? Well, doh, no kidding. (yeah, I'm pissy with those that are pissy with me) In the vein of such a simplistic response, but more direct relation to the question, "years of NBA evidence prove that" the majority of those players move on to other teams before winning, so how does that "get us where we need"? (the question)

That being said, the on-going problem in this discussion is what "tanking" really means, and it means different things to different people, so it will forever be an argument. I would add the the OP questions speaks to the "Ant-Tank Movement". I don't think I've seen any real "movement" of anti-tankers. The "movement" is that which "tankers" have created, and the so called anti-tankers have pretty much just individually tried countering the arguments.

Hey, EVERYONE with an IQ higher than 80 knows changes need to be made, but where this "anti-tanker" has issues is supporting the basic original definition of "tanking". The word, in relation to sport, was coined to describe "the act of giving up a match or "throwing it away", losing intentionally or not competing". No matter how someone tries to cloak it as "proper rebuild", moves to intentionally lose to chase the draft lottery, whether the moves come from players, coaches, or management, cheats the game and doesn't work. And the proposal that many support, to dump everybody but JV, is doing exactly that.

UM is not stupid. He knows he needs to make changes to accomplish the goals we'd all like to see. BUT, one can't just flick a switch and get overnight value for the entire effing team. I trust that he's going to move players, WHEN he's able to get wise value from them, and if he can, though I'd be on board if he can just unload Gay's contract without taking back an equally bad one back.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Yes. Years of NBA evidence prove that the best players in the league all came from the draft. Many of them from a top 6 pick.
        yet it also proves the inverse.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
          Well, you didn't answer his question, but most best players come from top of the draft? Well, doh, no kidding. (yeah, I'm pissy with those that are pissy with me) In the vein of such a simplistic response, but more direct relation to the question, "years of NBA evidence prove that" the majority of those players move on to other teams before winning, so how does that "get us where we need"? (the question)

That being said, the on-going problem in this discussion is what "tanking" really means, and it means different things to different people, so it will forever be an argument. I would add the the OP questions speaks to the "Ant-Tank Movement". I don't think I've seen any real "movement" of anti-tankers. The "movement" is that which "tankers" have created, and the so called anti-tankers have pretty much just individually tried countering the arguments.

Hey, EVERYONE with an IQ higher than 80 knows changes need to be made, but where this "anti-tanker" has issues is supporting the basic original definition of "tanking". The word, in relation to sport, was coined to describe "the act of giving up a match or "throwing it away", losing intentionally or not competing". No matter how someone tries to cloak it as "proper rebuild", moves to intentionally lose to chase the draft lottery, whether the moves come from players, coaches, or management, cheats the game and doesn't work. And the proposal that many support, to dump everybody but JV, is doing exactly that.

UM is not stupid. He knows he needs to make changes to accomplish the goals we'd all like to see. BUT, one can't just flick a switch and get overnight value for the entire effing team. I trust that he's going to move players, WHEN he's able to get wise value from them, and if he can, though I'd be on board if he can just unload Gay's contract without taking back an equally bad one back.
          You find my response inadequate but PeanutWoozle said yesterday that he thinks it is a safer bet to be lower in the draft where the talent discrepancy is greater.

The only evidence that the draft is a benefit is the years of evidence which he seems to be ignoring.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
            yet it also proves the inverse.
            No it doesn't. Just going by ESPN's top 25 rankings (not saying these are the actual 25 best players, but just to give an idea of how wrong you are).

LeBron - #1 Overall
            Durant - #2 Overall
            Paul - #4 Overall
            Harden - #3 Overall
            Westbrook - #4 Overall
            Curry - #7 Overall
            Dwight - #1 Overall
            Kyrie - #1 Overall
            Rose - #1 Overall
            Marc Gasol - #48 Overall
            Love - #5 Overall
            Parker - #29 Overall
            George - #10 Overall
            Griffin - #1 Overall
            Melo - #3 Overall
            Duncan - #1 Overall
            Aldridge - #2 Overall
            Wade - #5 Overall
            Horford - #3 Overall
            DWill - #3 Overall
            Wall - #1 Overall
            Hibbert - #17 Overall
            Noah - #9 Overall
            Bosh - #4 Overall
            Kobe - #13 Overall

So out of the NBA's top 25 players (arguably), 3 were drafted outside of the lottery. And of those 3, maybe one (Parker) of them has been, is, or ever will be the best player on a championship contender (ie. a superstar, franchise type of player).

It's not an accident. A staggering EIGHTEEN of the league's top 25 players (72%) were drafted top 5.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              You find my response inadequate but PeanutWoozle said yesterday that he thinks it is a safer bet to be lower in the draft where the talent discrepancy is greater.

The only evidence that the draft is a benefit is the years of evidence which he seems to be ignoring.
              If you were responding to some other post, perhaps you should clarify that? Just saying. The simple fact is that the post you quoted posed a question that you didn't address. As I said, I'm in total agreement that most best players come from top of the draft. Nobody denies that, but it didn't answer the question you quoted.

Comment

don't hate the player, hate the game. Hire an idealist and die.

get with is son, this is pro ball, not HS. If you can't piss with the big dogs, sat outta the tall grass...and stuff

Comment

If you were responding to some other post, perhaps you should clarify that? Just saying. The simple fact is that the post you quoted posed a question that you didn't address. As I said, I'm in total agreement that most best players come from top of the draft. Nobody denies that, but it didn't answer the question you quoted.
                  I'm on my phone so I can't link to everything peawooz said yesterday. If it makes it confusing sorry but the dude been trolling on multiple threads for days. Go to his profile and read his posts if you want full context.

My response does address the question posed. Question: How do you know that this current crop of players will be able to lead their teams to the playoffs?
                  Answer: NBA history shows where the best players come from and what they accomplish. It's not a detailed answer but it is enough for a troll question. How does he know that this draft won't?

I got no issue with you pooka. I disagree with 90% of what you say but I respect that you actually read peoples posts before trying to argue with them. There are far too many posters who don't read the content and just argue because of the name of the poster.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    5 game losing stream into this:

Raptors upcoming schedule: Sun 12/8 @Lakers | Tue 12/10 Spurs | Fri 12/13 76ers | Sat 12/14 @Bulls | Wed 12/18 Bobcats | Fri 12/20 @Mavericks | Sun 12/22 @Thunder | Mon 12/23 @Spurs

LET THE TANK ROLL!
                    We could easily lose every single one of these games. I think we take one, from either the Lakers or 76ers.

We are on the second most impressive losing streak in the NBA, and are only 2 games out of a top 3 lotto odds. We could easily have the 2nd worst record in the NBA by Christmas. It's kinda pathetic that no trades were needed to get this team into tank mode. I expect to see a lot of guys moved after Dec. 15th and Casey fired around then too. For now Masai should just stay the course, as I think we're going to lose the majority of the games in December.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                      don't hate the player, hate the game. Hire an idealist and die.

get with is son, this is pro ball, not HS. If you can't piss with the big dogs, sat outta the tall grass...and stuff
                      Unless your dick has shriveled down to a button, and you walk around wearing a piss bag, you got no business calling me "son", grandpa, but have you lost track of your meds box today, or do they not help the dementia much anymore?

Comment

• Great Analysis. UM work will begin in 8 days and his focus should be moving DD,Gay, Lowry, Amir Johnson and getting back draft picks ... He does that this year and he will get a A+++ from me and 85% of Raptor fans.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                          He's a hater. Rudy and Demar are the only way the Raps can really, truly be saved. They should shoot more because they're all-stars. They love Toronto, and they're young and improving, and they have reasonable contracts. If not they wouldn't be playing so many minutes.
                          lol

Sort of puts things in perspective.

Comment

• "Is there a better stealth tanking asset than Dwane Casey? "

So true, so true.

It takes a specially bad coach to blow a 27 point lead in one quarter. Casey almost let that loss get away from him. I think he learned his lesson from his first year where he blew too many losses late in the season.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I agree with you.

If I didn't know better I'd swear a lot of posters have built their house directly on the beach.
                              Location location location

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                                He's a hater. Rudy and Demar are the only way the Raps can really, truly be saved. They should shoot more because they're all-stars. They love Toronto, and they're young and improving, and they have reasonable contracts. If not they wouldn't be playing so many minutes.
                                'Reasonable contracts' really?

Comment

Working...
                                X