What's your price on Amir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I agree. I've said the time and time again. DeRozan, JV, Amir and Ross should not be going anywhere unless its for a top 5 or 6 pick.
    Other then JV the others weren't a top 6 pick so why would a team give up potentially an all star for someone who hasn't been one yet?
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• navyblues wrote: View Post
      I have browsed/read RR for years and never posted before. This conversation, though, has me riled up a bit. Amir Johnson is the perfect basketball player. He is probably ranked 13th or 14th among PF in the league. Most of those those PF's that are better than him are also older than him. The younger ones? Aldridge, Griffin, Ryan Anderson, Greg Monroe, and Davis. Faried, I would say, is comparable. All of those people either make way more than Amir, or will be making way more than Amir very shortly. He probably has ten years left in the league. He is an asset. Yes, we are acquiring assets, but I don't see why you would trade one young HEALTHY asset for another, when the asset you have is tried & true -- and making a very reasonable salary.

But all of that is beside the point. The raptors should keep Amir because he is worth millions and millions to their franchise. He's one of the few who has kept people watching this terrible Toronto team for the last few years. The effort he puts into his game every night is what excites fans. He plays good, marketable basketball. He loves the city and the city loves him. A #11 pick is highly unlikely to replace that. No one is paying $90 to watch Ross shoot 2 of 6 from the field. It would be stupid to trade Amir, no matter what the return, the same as it was stupid to fire Alvin Williams from his job in the office. I believe that teams should be run like a business, and I think it's just plain bad business to get rid of your hardest worker.
      Very good post and welcome. Sentimentally, I agree with most everything you are saying. I take exception with the Ross comment. He's my favourite Raptor currently, Ive had at least quarter season tickets for the last 7 or 8 years .. and I absolute pay (more than $90!) to come see Ross (and others of course) play. Ross has some elite talent. Will he ever put it together? I still dont know. Casey has only given him consistent minutes for a small stretch last year pre Gay and in the last 3-4 games. BUT - when I watch him play, I see that his ceiling could be high. He has a nice shooting stroke. Athleticism at the rim. I find it very easy to cheer for him.

On the flip side .. can I stand back and appreciate what Amir brings? Absolutely. But, I cant remember one time when i walked into the arena or when Amir was subbed into the game when I thought to myself .. i cant wait to see what this guys brings tonight! Hes just not that kind of player. Not to say hes bad .. just to say that Im not sure I agree with the "marketable" point ..

Comment

• I figured it out Mountie.... you went to school with Amir didn't you?

And you guys used to be buddies, and at tha time, he was smaller than you an dyou used to bully him on the court. Then one day, after months of regular hardwood beatings, Amir turned a corner, grew a set, and this happened:

You were never the same after this day and vowed to never, EVER talk to Amir again. Amir, he grew a foot that following Summer, played his last year, and then went straight to the NBA. You called him for tickets when he got to Toronto, because you were paying for 1/4 seasons.

Amir didn't accept that call did he.
        Amir never accepts that call does he Mountie. Lesson learned.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          But a mid-late first rounder is an asinine suggestion. That cherry picked list of 25 players (which included Rudy Gay) was a pretty self-defeating argument.
          I like that you judge Rudy Gay based on his 20 some games with the Raps this year as opposed to his 5 years in a row of being a 20/6 guy on 45%+ shooting and a borderline All-Star in the West. That's a completely objective and fair point of view to take.

Comment

• Do you guys actually think Amir would get a top ten pick or multiple firsts/cap room in a trade or are you just stating your personal opinion that you wouldn't want him traded for any less than that?

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
              Do you guys actually think Amir would get a top ten pick or multiple firsts/cap room in a trade or are you just stating your personal opinion that you wouldn't want him traded for any less than that?
              I have to assume its the later (which I can sympathize with) - because if anyone actually believes the former, they are living in a fantasy world.

Comment

• mountio wrote: View Post
                I have to assume its the later (which I can sympathize with) - because if anyone actually believes the former, they are living in a fantasy world.
                It's most certainly the Latter....the latter.

Nice use of former and latter by the way, refreshing to read.

Comment

• navyblues wrote: View Post
                  I have browsed/read RR for years and never posted before. This conversation, though, has me riled up a bit. Amir Johnson is the perfect basketball player. He is probably ranked 13th or 14th among PF in the league.
                  1) Zach Randolph
                  2) Serge Ibaka
                  3) Blake Griffin
                  4) David Lee
                  5) Tim Duncan
                  6) LaMarcus Aldridge
                  7) Josh Smith
                  8) Chris Bosh
                  9) David West
                  10) Dirk Nowitzki
                  11) Carlos Boozer,
                  12) Paul Millsap
                  13) Ryan Anderson
                  14) Pau Gasol
                  15) Kevin Love
                  16) Kenneth Faried
                  17) Anthony Davis
                  18) Jefferson
                  19) Monroe
                  20) Sanders
                  21) Cousins
                  22) ...

I take any of these guys to start NOW on my team in the PF position over Amir.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                    1) Zach Randolph
                    2) Serge Ibaka
                    3) Blake Griffin
                    4) David Lee
                    5) Tim Duncan
                    6) LaMarcus Aldridge
                    7) Josh Smith
                    8) Chris Bosh
                    9) David West
                    10) Dirk Nowitzki
                    11) Carlos Boozer,
                    12) Paul Millsap
                    13) Ryan Anderson
                    14) Pau Gasol
                    15) Kevin Love
                    16) Kenneth Faried
                    17) Anthony Davis
                    18) Jefferson
                    19) Monroe
                    20) Sanders
                    21) Cousins
                    22) ...

Why?

Comment

• I love Amir. I agree with just about everything that has been said about him. Great leader, excellent teammate, has embraced the city and vice versa, one of the only watchable parts of the roster over the last 4-5 seasons, etc.

But some of you are simply overvaluing him because he is "ours".
                      Last edited by Fully; Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                        1) Zach Randolph
                        2) Serge Ibaka
                        3) Blake Griffin
                        4) David Lee
                        5) Tim Duncan
                        6) LaMarcus Aldridge
                        7) Josh Smith
                        8) Chris Bosh
                        9) David West
                        10) Dirk Nowitzki
                        11) Carlos Boozer,
                        12) Paul Millsap
                        13) Ryan Anderson
                        14) Pau Gasol
                        15) Kevin Love
                        16) Kenneth Faried
                        17) Anthony Davis
                        18) Jefferson
                        19) Monroe
                        20) Sanders
                        21) Cousins
                        22) ...

Interesting, you pick Pau Gasol over Amir ... after the way Amir schooled Pau in LA just a week ago?

I take Kevin Love over Amir every day of the week. I take Faried and Anthony Davis most days. As for the rest? Meh for some to bleh for others, especially if you take age, salary, potential and team spirit into account.

... so I'm one of those people who wouldn't trade Amir for anything less than a top 7 or so pick ... and I don't think people will offer that for him, so I don't want to see him traded.

P.S. And I will freely admit that I am likely overvaluing him because he is 'ours' ... but I still think he is one of those 'unsung heroes' who is worth a lot more than he seems ... and it appears a bunch of GMs think the same.
                        Last edited by Kuh; Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
                          Interesting, you pick Pau Gasol over Amir ... after the way Amir schooled Pau in LA just a week ago?

I take Kevin Love over Amir every day of the week. I take Faried and Anthony Davis most days. As for the rest? Meh for some to bleh for others, especially if you take age, salary, potential and team spirit into account.

... so I'm one of those people who wouldn't trade Amir for anything less than a top 7 or so pick ... and I don't think people will offer that for him, so I don't want to see him traded.

P.S. And I will freely admit that I am likely overvaluing him because he is 'ours' ... but I still think he is one of those 'unsung heroes' who is worth a lot more than he seems ... and it appears a bunch of GMs think the same.
                          LaMarcus Aldridge is a top five MVP candidate. You wouldn't swap him for Amir?

He's not quite as special as you guys are making him out to be. I hate to even say this because like I said, I love Amir. But what would your reaction be if the Raptors trade the 6th overall pick next summer for Carl Landry? Rioting in the streets? Well, that's basically the equivalent of another team trading it for Amir.
                          Last edited by Fully; Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                            if the bold holds up... they aint going NOOwhere!
                            Never said its one of them individually for the pick straight up. Obviously it's going to be part of a package

Comment

LaMarcus Aldridge is a top five MVP candidate. You wouldn't swap him for Amir?

He's not quite as special as you guys are making him out to be. I hate to even say this because like I said, I love Amir. But what would your reaction be if the Raptors trade the 6th overall pick next summer for Carl Landry? Rioting in the streets? Well, that's basically the equivalent of another team trading it for Amir.
                              hahaha that's what kills me about this thread, I love Amir, I'd be happy for him to stay here, but for the love of god people be a little bit objective here.

Comment

I love Amir. I agree with just about everything has been said about him. Great leader, excellent teammate, has embraced the city and vice versa, one of the only watchable parts of the roster over the last 4-5 seasons, etc.

But some of you are simply overvaluing him because he is "ours".
                                Actually you're undervaluing him

Comment

Working...
                                X