Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The raptors beat writer that grinds my gears the most is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Anyone remember Feschuk? Couldn't stand that guy. I mean, I don't mind a cynical view, but he was just ridiculous. The Raptors could play a perfect game and he'd still write a negative story about it.

Feschuk style headline:

"Raptors beat Bucks 140-68: Bucks out of sync and Raps get lucky bounces on way to surprising win against worst team in the league"
    I actually thought Feschuck was the perfect ying to Doug Smith's yang.

If you opened up the Star's sports section and read both articles, you'd get a fairly balanced view of the team.

Comment

He's not a Raptors beat writer, however, the very high volume NBA tweeter/writer, @HPBasketball (Matt Moore of CBS Sports) has a tendency to get on my nerves.

He's a Grizzlies fan, and even after the Raps parted ways with Rudy Gay, he seems to have some sort of vendetta against the Raptors.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        Grange is the most balanced local, imho. Kelly is extreme - he either thinks the team sucks or the last game was fantastic with no in between. Cox is usually crust why he gets the call - you always get the sense he'd rather be pissing on the Leafs than being stuck with a Raps piece. I'm undecided about Chisholm at this point.

Favourite national writers are Zach Lowe, Howard Beck, and Bill Simmons.

Holly Mackenzie is a good follow on Twitter.
        I have followed and unfollowed her so many times. She just comes across as a thirsty groupie at times. She is a good writer and has good insights, but can just be too much
        Ball Don't Lie

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I actually thought Feschuck was the perfect ying to Doug Smith's yang.

If you opened up the Star's sports section and read both articles, you'd get a fairly balanced view of the team.
          I don't consider two extremes a "balanced view". I get what you're saying, but I just find/found both terrible.

Comment

The raptors beat writer that grinds my gears the most is....

phdmac wrote: View Post
            I have followed and unfollowed her so many times. She just comes across as a thirsty groupie at times. She is a good writer and has good insights, but can just be too much
            I feel the sentiment of not being
            sexist, but I totally agree with you dude. Just something about her, call it a vibe she puts off in her tweets. It's not something you get from other female writers, whom I respect immensely.

She's waaaaaayy too complimentary, when the media is supposed to be objective and know when to crack down. She really does seem like a groupie/fan girl. Plus all she does on twitter is RT and link other people's articles.
            Last edited by e_wheazhy_; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 04:22 PM.
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              Grange is the most balanced local, imho. Kelly is extreme - he either thinks the team sucks or the last game was fantastic with no in between. Cox is usually crust why he gets the call - you always get the sense he'd rather be pissing on the Leafs than being stuck with a Raps piece. I'm undecided about Chisholm at this point.

Favourite national writers are Zach Lowe, Howard Beck, and Bill Simmons.

Holly Mackenzie is a good follow on Twitter.
              LOVE ZACH LOWE. So even keeled, fair.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                LOVE ZACH LOWE. So even keeled, fair.
                I look forward to Zach Lowe's work every week and he's arguably the best NBA writer out there.

I enjoy his balance of film study and in-depth statistical analysis.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  I don't follow him on Twitter. I love Ryan Wolstat, Michael Grange (awesome follow in Twitter too - actually responds). Too bad this thread should include your fave bball writers too, not just local beat ones.
                  I Can't help but follow Koreen because he does have some great stuff, just some of his tweets irk me lol, ie his ragging on Drake night. I was at the game, Drake was great for the vibe in the arena. The place was buzzing, plus it was easy to convince my gf to come which means 2 more people in the stands for MLSE which is the point of the whole thing. For the most part his articles are well written.
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

rseal wrote: View Post
                    He's not a Raptors beat writer, however, the very high volume NBA tweeter/writer, @HPBasketball (Matt Moore of CBS Sports) has a tendency to get on my nerves.

He's a Grizzlies fan, and even after the Raps parted ways with Rudy Gay, he seems to have some sort of vendetta against the Raptors.
                    Nah Matt's alright. He thinks the Raptors should tank and he appreciates Gay's game, which would understandably upset some Raptors fans, but he's really insightful and he's a great general-NBA follow.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      When he was covering the Raptors, I absolutely hated him.

I have to say, though, that much of what I hated about his writing - mainly, his never-ending critiques of Vince, Bargnani and BC - ended up being, in retrospect, absolutely spot-on. I just didn't want to hear at the time.
                      dave is a friend of mine, we used to play ball against each other, and a tonne of pick up together in Niagara. He is a sour bastard.

hahaha

he can play though, and he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

ddaylewis wrote: View Post
                        Nah Matt's alright. He thinks the Raptors should tank and he appreciates Gay's game, which would understandably upset some Raptors fans, but he's really insightful and he's a great general-NBA follow.
                        I don't think he appreciates Gay's game one bit - although, perhaps that's changed since Rudy's improved his play and efficiency in Sacramento.

Moore was thrilled when the Grizz dealt him to Toronto, and proceeded to scoff at Raps and Gay on pretty much a nightly basis. Especially on Gay's most inefficient (10 of 37) performances, which ended up being most nights.

After the trade, he still doesn't give the Raps the credit that I think they've earned so far this season. He doesn't appreciate the talent on the Raps roster, which may be a by-product of being an American who's out of touch with happenings north of the border.

That said, overall, he's a decent follow on Twitter.

Comment

As for Writers I dont like... there really aren't any. The all do a job, its all pretty much just boring, none really say much. I like Doug because he writes fun stuff here and there, not just boring stuff.... reporting the game etc.

But each to his own.... my hate, or lack thereof likely comes from the fact that I watch the games, and know every bit as much as any of these writers, and in many cases more, so really, unless they have a juicey inside scoop.... I don't care what they have to say.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                            I like Doug Smith.
                            hahaha you would

Comment

Why's that?

Comment

rseal wrote: View Post
                                I look forward to Zach Lowe's work every week and he's arguably the best NBA writer out there.

I enjoy his balance of film study and in-depth statistical analysis.
                                Zach's easily the best in my opinion. He makes the in-depth analysis easy to understand for the more casual fan and always backs it up with videos and evidence to help explain it. My favourite thing about him though is that during the season he'll probably write an article on every single team in the NBA, not just the Heat/Pacers/Spurs teams (although obviously he writes more on them, they are more relevant).

His article on the Raptors today is a perfect example.

His podcasts with Bill Simmons are also very good, his logical approach to his opinions compliments Bill Simmons' opinions which are based off things like body language and feelings.
                                Last edited by Raptorsnz; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X