Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-Star Reserves - Congratulations DeMar DeRozan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking purely from a fantasy standpoint but Jeff Teague has been pretty terrible for the past month, even before the injury.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
      I was very surprised that the TNT guys said little about Lowry. Kenny had a little rant about what Teague has been doing in ATL. Now, Lowry's basic stats aren't much more impressive than Lowry's, but as mentioned above he has some of the best advanced stats in the East. What's disapointing the most for me is the lack of recognition of what Lowry has been doing here this year. He should have been a lock, but with Irving being voted in by fans, and Johnson being selected by the coaches it was a robbery. Too bad for Kyle, but I am very surprised that the East's coaches haven't recognized just how important he is to this team and his contribution to the Raps success. Maybe that's why we are winning so many games. Keep up the ignorance East coaches, we want to hold on to that 3rd seed!!
      Yup. You know why? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WATCH THE GAMES. They just look at the league-leading scorers, see DeRozan at 11, and plug him in. "Alright I'm done, let's get a drink."
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 AM.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        Yup. You know why? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WATCH THE GAMES. They just look at the league-leading scorers, see DeRozan at 11, at plug him in. "Alright I'm done, let's get a drink."
        Agreed.

It is terribly junior highish.

When I've coached junior high teams or hosted a tournament you ask a coach for player of the game and they immediately go to the score sheet and count points.

Points are very important - don't get me wrong. But it is not the be all and end all for evaluating impact on a game and importance to a team.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          The strangest part of the whole thing. For my money, Lowry has been the second best point in the entire league behind Chris Paul, and he isn't an All-Star. Whoever's responsible for this either hasn't been watching, or has an axe to grind.

Enjoy the beach Kyle.
          CP3, Steph Curry have both been clearly better IMO, after those two I think he's been if not the best then at least as good as anyone else.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Not to turn this into yet another DeRozan debate, but we can blame special1 for that.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar is still low efficiency scorer.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar can't shoot 3s.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar is still a poor defender.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar still has weak handles.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar still takes too many long-twos.

And one final note: DeMar was selected over a more deserving teammate, by a group of people who thinks the rotting corpse of Joe Johnson is worthy.

As a Raptors fan, I'm happy for DeRozan. He's definitely a hard worker (probably the hardest working draft pick we've ever had), and any notoriety for the Raptors on a global stage, is a good thing for all of us.

But to that loudmouth/fanboy/groupie, special1, you haven't "proven" anyone wrong.
            I think some of this criticism is anchoring to years past.

Demar has improved his defense considerably this year. I'm too bagged to dig it all up but IIRC both his Synergy individual stats and team Dratg off/ons as part of one of the best defences in the league both point to him now being an average defender at least. His improved court awareness has led to career highs in steal and block percentage, and his defensive rating is just above the middle of the pack for players who have played 800 minutes this season (83rd out of 203).

As for his weak handles, I've called them barely adequate, but on review I think his handles are solidly average. Demar has a decent conversion percentage on drives and doesn't turn the ball over (28th best TOV% out of 203). He's not flashy, but he is steady. Especially for someone who picks up as many FTAs as he does.

Saying he takes too many long 2s and can't shoot the three are just facets of the criticism that he is a low efficiency scorer. Somewhat redundant. And the first month of the season showed that he does have the capability of improving that three. It's entirely possible he can improve his efficiency, especially if we find a true number one guy.

Sometimes when excessive claims are made in one direction the pendulum often swings too far in the other direction. Demar may not be a superstar but he does deserve credit for rounding his game out.

Comment

• Shrub wrote: View Post
              BUT - the players don't see it that way, nor should they.
              It doesn't matter how unfair or trivial the selection process is, every player really wants to be an All-Star.
              It's like being knighted, or getting a PhD.
              Now you're a sir.
              Now you're a doctor.
              Now you're an all-star.
              Wow, you really want to be an all star!

Don't think you can compare becoming a doctor to getting named to the all star team. Getting drafted into the NBA or playing your first game is a much more apt comparison to being knighted or getting your doctorate. Being named to the all star game is like getting doctor of the year for San Vernando Valley.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• @Scraptor

DeMar hasn't improved defensively. He's gambling more, but nothing else has changed. ( sometimes you can tell that he's playing defense without effort. driving me crazy. )

DeRozan is our 2nd liability after JV.

Comment

Not to turn this into yet another DeRozan debate, but we can blame special1 for that.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar is still low efficiency scorer.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar can't shoot 3s.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar is still a poor defender.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar still has weak handles.

Despite being selected as an all-star, DeMar still takes too many long-twos.

And one final note: DeMar was selected over a more deserving teammate, by a group of people who thinks the rotting corpse of Joe Johnson is worthy.

As a Raptors fan, I'm happy for DeRozan. He's definitely a hard worker (probably the hardest working draft pick we've ever had), and any notoriety for the Raptors on a global stage, is a good thing for all of us.

But to that loudmouth/fanboy/groupie, special1, you haven't "proven" anyone wrong.
                  I will fully admit that there is one area that DeRozan has shown improvement in this season, in terms of both production and consistency - peripheral stats. DeRozan is helping on the glass and doing a better job of finding open teammates in DC's revamped team-oriented offensive system. His rebounds are +1.0 over his career average and assists are +1.6.

However, of the 5 key criticisms I've made against him since the offseason, that's really the only one he's shown sustained improvement it.
                  1. one-dimensional scorer
                  2. inefficient scorer & poor shot selection
                  3. poor 3pt shooter
                  4. average (at best) defender
                  5. not a legit SF (preferring SG to be a '3&D' type player - aka Ross)

Pointing out that the other areas of criticism are still valid (#2-#5), is not "hate". He's a good young player with key areas of his game that still have significant room for improvement. Yes, he's an all-star. Yes, he's not perfect. No, that's not being a "hater".

Seriously, the world is not so black & white, and there's nothing wrong with pushing one of the team's best players to continue getting better.

Finally, if all the middling EC teams that are hovering around the .500 level deserved a single all-star representative, Lowry is far more deserving that DeRozan IMO. Personally, I think they both should have been named reserves!
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• All a bunch of Haters. Go drink your Haterade.

I love you Demar!! You're perfect just the way you are!!

But seriously, as I said earlier, its unfortunate that people can't take a day off from pointing out where Demar needs to improve, and instead point out where he has improved himself year in and year out, and just appreciate him for what he's brought to this team. Sure Kyle deserved a shot. More than Demar? Maybe. Definitely more than Joe Johnson. As did Demar. So don't pit them against each other, pit them against JJ.

No its not hating, but it gets to be tiresome constantly having to read how our own fans, feel our own homebred All-Star shouldn't even be an All-Star.
                    Last edited by Joey; Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• special1 wrote:
                      Haha

Dude - you crack me up! lol Do you seriously think anyone really cares about your hating ass opinions anymore? Demar proved you guys wrong. You proved yourself wrong. You deserved to be called out for that shit you were talking since last year. Did you really think i was going to let you get away with it?? Enjoy your humble pie. Get out of here with that same hater rhetoric.
                      Translation: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I love DeMar's smile!"

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        All a bunch of Haters. Go drink your Haterade.

I love you Demar!! You're perfect just the way you are!!

But seriously, as I said earlier, its unfortunate that people can't take a day off from pointing out where Demar needs to improve, and instead point out where he has improved himself year in and year out, and just appreciate him for what he's brought to this team. Sure Kyle deserved a shot. More than Demar? Maybe. Definitely more than Joe Johnson. As did Demar. So don't pit them against each other, pit them against JJ.

No its not hating, but it gets to be tiresome constantly having to read how our own fans, feel our own homebred All-Star shouldn't even be an All-Star.
                        Not the case with me.

I think he is deserving to be an all-star.

When you have posters telling others to eat crow it is sad the discussion veers towards the criticisms of his game again because it shows that people aren't comprehending the merits of the debate/discussion. As much as the endless 'hating' might be tiring, the unquestioning 'hyping' is equally tiring.

No question DeRozan should be an all-star this year.
                        No question Lowry deserved it more.
                        At least one was recognized and that is better than none.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Not the case with me.

I think he is deserving to be an all-star.

When you have posters telling others to eat crow it is sad the discussion veers towards the criticisms of his game again because it shows that people aren't comprehending the merits of the debate/discussion. As much as the endless 'hating' might be tiring, the unquestioning 'hyping' is equally tiring.

No question DeRozan should be an all-star this year.
                          No question Lowry deserved it more.
                          At least one was recognized and that is better than none.
                          Bingo. End thread.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• special1 wrote:
                            Haha

Dude - you crack me up! lol Do you seriously think anyone really cares about your hating ass opinions anymore? Demar proved you guys wrong. You proved yourself wrong. You deserved to be called out for that shit you were talking since last year. Did you really think i was going to let you get away with it?? Enjoy your humble pie. Get out of here with that same hater rhetoric.
                            Is this an appropriate post?

I understand and even appreciate the message and sentiment but I don't think the delivery is in line with the expectations set out in the rules of the forums.

Comment

Translation: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I love DeMar's smile!"
                              Since he got his braces off, I gotta admit .. its pretty nice to look at.

Comment

• special1 wrote:
                                Haha

This is a dumb post man.

All-stars also have flaws, hell CB4 is a perennial all star, and we can confidently say he can't win a championship as a number one option, or even lead a contending team.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X