Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Terrence Ross comparisons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Buschfire wrote: View Post
    Trying reading before posting. The whole point of this thread was to discuss that very article.

    Comment


    • #17
      George, Granger, Hibbert = Ross, DeRozan, Valanciunas?
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

      -Superjudge, 7/23

      Hope you're wrong.

      Comment


      • #18
        KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
        I honestly think trading derozan would be the best for this team, because it would allow for Ross to flourish. If they aren't set on trading demar, then they need to start distributing the ball a bit more evenly among the two.
        Right...heaven forbid that Toronto has three guards who can score 20+ let's cut that down to just 2...

        They play different games. This isn't a Rudy or DeMar thing where both play best in the same parts of the court. If you keep both then you could potentially have DeMar, Ross, Lowry and JV scoring around 20 per. That would be disgusting. All score differently, are willing passers and play respectable defense.

        As far as who Ross most closely resembles? Tough to say. Maybe when his ball handling gets a bit better things will become a bit more clear.

        Comment


        • #19


          Ross gets the edge in the dunk contest.
          “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
          ― John Wooden

          Comment


          • #20
            blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Right...heaven forbid that Toronto has three guards who can score 20+ let's cut that down to just 2...

            They play different games. This isn't a Rudy or DeMar thing where both play best in the same parts of the court. If you keep both then you could potentially have DeMar, Ross, Lowry and JV scoring around 20 per. That would be disgusting. All score differently, are willing passers and play respectable defense.

            As far as who Ross most closely resembles? Tough to say. Maybe when his ball handling gets a bit better things will become a bit more clear.
            You're not gonna know what Ross can accomplish if you have DeMar hogging all the possessions. I'm not saying just trade DeMar for nothing, only if it's a good return. I think thy can play together, but as I said, you need to distribute the ball more evenly between the two. Btw, I mean for next season, because I'm well aware that Ross isn't close to ready to be a focal point of an offence.
            "Masai WILL win us a championship"
            - Tim Leiweke

            Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

            Reporter: "How can you say that?"

            Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

            Comment


            • #21
              KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
              You're not gonna know what Ross can accomplish if you have DeMar hogging all the possessions. I'm not saying just trade DeMar for nothing, only if it's a good return. I think thy can play together, but as I said, you need to distribute the ball more evenly between the two. Btw, I mean for next season, because I'm well aware that Ross isn't close to ready to be a focal point of an offence.
              No doubt, you meant the near future and not now -- I guess we see the maturation of their games differently. I honestly see DeMar scoring less and passing more as things move on. I disagree with the idea that he's ballhogging. Last night, and his ongoing increase in assists would be my evidence (I don't know, maybe usage rates counter my argument but I'm sticking with it).

              Comment


              • #22
                Unlike DD and Gay, DD and Ross's games seem to work well together. Ross can stretch the D better and has become quite good at moving without the ball (a vastly under-rated skill in the NBA). DD has improved his passing (although he needs to still work on it, he jumps too often without a clear plan, and then is able to bail himself out with the pass only because of his leaping ability) and they could become a very good wing duo.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                Comment


                • #23
                  blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                  No doubt, you meant the near future and not now -- I guess we see the maturation of their games differently. I honestly see DeMar scoring less and passing more as things move on. I disagree with the idea that he's ballhogging. Last night, and his ongoing increase in assists would be my evidence (I don't know, maybe usage rates counter my argument but I'm sticking with it).
                  I agree. My belief is that as JV and Ross continue to develop then I would expect Derozan's usage and FGA's to drop slightly, while both Ross's and JV's would increase. In theory, this should knock off a few of Derozan's less desirable FGA's, hopefully redistributing those shots to better looks for JV and Ross. That's what I'm hoping for next season if this roster remains largely intact.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I think Ross' ceiling is a T-Mac or Ray Allen lite right now. If he can somehow morph into a combination of both, he'll be lethal. One of the biggest problems I had with Ross is that I wanted to see him drive more often but even that criticism seemed to arise more from his role on the team, rather than a lack of ability on Ross' part. I also really think that Ross' has all the tools to just be that clutch shooter for the team RIGHT now, especially given that Demar and Lowry would attract more defensive attention.

                    I also disagree with the idea of trading DD for Ross to flourish. Their games mesh so incredibly well and I really think they can be one of the highest level wing combinations in the NBA one day. I think the biggest problem that will arise from the two is a lack of size but a decently sized back up SF would more than cover that. Not to mention that I think with time, an improved Ross (and JV for that matter) will help lower the overall amount of usage of DD which I think will make him much more efficient than he currently is as those two will soak up more shots.

                    I know this is a minor change or even relatively useless, but I'd rather Ross at the SG and Demar at the SF.

                    I also really like the Paul George comparison (in regards to their growth). It really would be quite the surprise if the star we were looking happened to be the guy we got because of a lost coin toss or who should have been Drummond.
                    Last edited by Just Is; Mon Feb 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Just Is wrote: View Post
                      I think Ross' ceiling is a T-Mac or Ray Allen lite right now. If he can somehow morph into a combination of both, he'll be lethal. One of the biggest problems I had with Ross is that I wanted to see him drive more often but even that criticism seemed to arise more from his role on the team, rather than a lack of ability on Ross' part. I also really think that Ross' has all the tools to just be that clutch shooter for the team RIGHT now, especially given that Demar and Lowry would attract more defensive attention.

                      I also disagree with the idea of trading DD for Ross to flourish. Their games mesh so incredibly well and I really think they can be one of the highest level wing combinations in the NBA one day. I think the biggest problem that will arise from the two is a lack of size but a decently sized back up SF would more than cover that.

                      I know this is a minor change or even relatively useless, but I'd rather Ross at the SG and Demar at the SF.
                      I don't buy the size thing. His athleticism is usually enough to make up for his height and/or weight, and this concern is usually limited to post ups anyways. It's worked pretty well for us so far, and little reason to believe it won't actually get better with time.

                      I also agree with your 2nd paragraph, their games work well together. However, I think some are thinking that maybe Ross can surpass DD and would be better served if DD was traded, giving him the room and responsibility to grow his game. I'm not sure this is the case, but I think Ross can continue to develop alongside Demar...it's not like he's playing next to Gay.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        I don't buy the size thing. His athleticism is usually enough to make up for his height and/or weight, and this concern is usually limited to post ups anyways. It's worked pretty well for us so far, and little reason to believe it won't actually get better with time.

                        I also agree with your 2nd paragraph, their games work well together. However, I think some are thinking that maybe Ross can surpass DD and would be better served if DD was traded, giving him the room and responsibility to grow his game. I'm not sure this is the case, but I think Ross can continue to develop alongside Demar...it's not like he's playing next to Gay.
                        I don't agree with the size thing either. It was just the biggest issue I've read in regards to starting both Demar and Ross. Ross is such a strong defender that size differences are almost entirely erased (outside of post ups). Which you brought up, but I haven't seen players really post up on Ross outside of one Joe Johnson play.

                        I firmly believe that Ross will help Demar's growth more than people think. Like you said, he's not Rudy (nothing against Rudy but he is who he is while Demar is still young enough to not be set in his ways yet, even if he does have bad habits).
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Just Is wrote: View Post
                          I don't agree with the size thing either. It was just the biggest issue I've read in regards to starting both Demar and Ross. Ross is such a strong defender that size differences are almost entirely erased (outside of post ups). Which you brought up, but I haven't seen players really post up on Ross outside of one Joe Johnson play.

                          I firmly believe that Ross will help Demar's growth more than people think. Like you said, he's not Rudy (nothing against Rudy but he is who he is while Demar is still young enough to not be set in his ways yet, even if he does have bad habits).
                          I haven't really considered that idea. I tend to view Demar as basically being static in terms of his present skillset. I don't expect him to improve a lot going forward in terms of basic skills. His 3pt shooting and handles may improve marginally, but what I expect out of Demar going forward is more with IQ and court awareness and recognizing when to shoot or pass. I would call it improvement via situational awareness or something like that. I think his decision making will continue to get better as he continues to work in his present role. Better recognition of how the defence is playing, when best to drive, how to draw the defence away from shooters when he is the ball handler, better work in the PnR and things like that. He's done a much better job this season of not forcing his game, and I would only expect that to get better.

                          However, I never really thought about how Ross could make Demar better. If he improves, I guess it's easy to see how Demar's game could also improve, at least making it easier for Demar to execute the types of things listed above. Furthermore, if defences have to start paying more attention to TRoss, than that only opens up the floor for Demar and others. I think Demar shot better when Rudy was here, at least from distance, so it may have a similar effect if Ross gets better and becomes a larger focus of the opponents defence.

                          All I know is that if TRoss continues to improve, especially offensively, and we can keep Lowry, than a Lowry/DD/Ross guard/wing combo will look pretty scary to opposing teams.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I made the Ross/George comparison last year, and I still think it's a great fit. Ross is a gifter shooter that can defend, has excellent athletecism and size for his position, same as George. And much like George, Ross hasn't come out of the gates and dominated. Once Ross tightens up his handles and can breakdown guys off the dribble I think their games will be asidentical, as it gets.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              I made the Ross/George comparison last year, and I still think it's a great fit. Ross is a gifter shooter that can defend, has excellent athletecism and size for his position, same as George. And much like George, Ross hasn't come out of the gates and dominated. Once Ross tightens up his handles and can breakdown guys off the dribble I think their games will be asidentical, as it gets.
                              Let's be realistic.

                              Jason Terry but a bit taller.

                              Ray Allen, but a bit more athletic.

                              Ross has the potential to be a nice piece on a good team. He is upside is a Jason Allen, or a Ray Terry.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Pele wrote: View Post
                                Let's be realistic.

                                Jason Terry but a bit taller.

                                Ray Allen, but a bit more athletic.

                                Ross has the potential to be a nice piece on a good team. He is upside is a Jason Allen, or a Ray Terry.
                                His pre-draft comparison was Jason Richardson, which I think is still fair (J-Rich in his prime, not the old man we've seen the last few years).
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X