We really need Greg Monroe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I think Kaman would be a good pick up at this point. He's cheap and expiring and isn't playing much in LA. It'd be easy to match salaries and we'd actually get a center with some length. Give JV some support and better competition in practice (size wise)
    Kaman is actually a good idea. He is definitely available as dealing him would save LA a ton of money in luxury tax. We just so happen to have a TPE from the Rudy trade that we could swap straight up for Kaman. If LA is just looking to dump his salary I'd love to have him.

Comment

What we really need is to stop being so dramatic after every team loss.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

Everybody has bad games, but Amir is pretty consistent and does what we need him to do.
        That said, I think Monroe would be an improvement.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          Don't be so dramatic, the numbers clearly don't mean shit. If, according to you, +/- is only useful when comparing players on the same team, let's compare Monroe to Drummond and Smith.

On/Off +/-
          Monroe +5.9
          Drummond -6.5
          Smith +5.9

Monroe is right there with Smith, as they are clearly the best players on Detroit. Drummond is actually pretty freaking awful in the +/-, so either he must not be as good defensively as his block and rebound totals would make you think, or his lack of offense other than dunks and terrible FT% are too much to overcome.

And since you brought up Bargs, he is a -3.6.
          Good lord.

"Don't be so dramatic". Huh? No drama at all. With that statement, you're delivering drama though.

"the numbers clearly don't mean shit". Yes they do mean shit. It's the most useless individual stat in the game.

"If, according to you, +/- is only useful when comparing players on the same team". Perhaps you missed the "if that" part of my comment (was trying to give you some credit/leeway), so I'll now be a little more definitive: it's useless within team as well. Random examples:
          -game 1: Paul George -1, Stephenson -5, West +7, Hill +3. West & Hill are better than George & Stephenson?
          -game 2: same minutes, Hibbert -2, Mahinmi +2. Pacers are better off playing Mahinmi?
          -same game: Bosh +8, Andersen +7, DWade -3. Bosh/Andersojn are equal, and Wade is terrible to have a "-" in a win?
          -game 3: DWade +22, Andereen +13, Rashard Lewis +13, LeBron +1. What does +/- tell you that's close to a valid assessment?

Comment

+/- is a good stat with LARGE sample sizes. Using individual games doesn't work due to the scoring runs that happen during an NBA game

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
              Good lord.

"Don't be so dramatic". Huh? No drama at all. With that statement, you're delivering drama though.

"the numbers clearly don't mean shit". Yes they do mean shit. It's the most useless individual stat in the game.

"If, according to you, +/- is only useful when comparing players on the same team". Perhaps you missed the "if that" part of my comment (was trying to give you some credit/leeway), so I'll now be a little more definitive: it's useless within team as well. Random examples:
              -game 1: Paul George -1, Stephenson -5, West +7, Hill +3. West & Hill are better than George & Stephenson?
              -game 2: same minutes, Hibbert -2, Mahinmi +2. Pacers are better off playing Mahinmi?
              -same game: Bosh +8, Andersen +7, DWade -3. Bosh/Andersojn are equal, and Wade is terrible to have a "-" in a win?
              -game 3: DWade +22, Andereen +13, Rashard Lewis +13, LeBron +1. What does +/- tell you that's close to a valid assessment?
              Holy crap, the +/- stats are cumulative for the entire season, not game by game.

I've also used the eye test on Monroe and I just don't see this Bargs-esque black hole on defense that you claim to see. He's not a good defender yet, but his size and tools make me confident with the right coaching he would be pretty good on that end.

He also can effectively play the center position, something which Amir can't. Ultimately, I think Monroe will cost too much for us to acquire, but to act like he wouldn't be a big upgrade over our current PF's is a bit disingenuous.

Comment

Toronto out: Hansborough, Fields, 2014 1st round pick
                Toronto in: Greg Monroe, Charlie V

Greg Monroe can replace Amir as our starting PF while pushing Amir to be our backup C behind Val. Charlie V is an expiring and he could be our 3rd string PF or backup SF and move Salmons as our backup SG. I think this trade benefit both teams, although we have to give Pistons a 1st round pick either this year's or the next or the year after. Hansborough is a decent big who can come off the bench for the team. Fields may find his touch as a Pistons

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  +/- is a good stat with LARGE sample sizes. Using individual games doesn't work due to the scoring runs that happen during an NBA game
                  so, an accumulation of useless stats is useful. gotcha einstein

Comment

Everything I've read lately is the pistons don't want to move Monroe unless they got an amazing deal. They want to get rid of Smith.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                      so, an accumulation of useless stats is useful. gotcha einstein
                      Haha not quite. Over large sample sizes an average will appear that is pretty accurate. Basic Bell Curve/sigma stuff.

Or if you really want to do some heavy thinking look into the Chaos Theory.

Comment

Kevin Love would be my number one target. He is absolutely the perfect fit for the raptors right now. A true superstar and he plays a mid-long range game that fits with JV in the post. The only problem is that he's probably not available. I wonder if MU could use his magic and get Love for a couple of picks (this years and new yorks future pick) and Amir and cap filler. - this may be a bit of a stretch but at the same time It wouldn't be outrageous if it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          Haha not quite. Over large sample sizes an average will appear that is pretty accurate. Basic Bell Curve/sigma stuff.

Or if you really want to do some heavy thinking look into the Chaos Theory.
                          Bell Curve, Chaos Theory? lmao. New words of the day for you? Suggest learning what they represent before misapplying them.

lol, gotta give you credit for determination, but picking your battles might be an idea to ponder. So you and Primer are so convinced that +/- is a valuable stat over a large sample size, hey. Okay tell me what your einsteinish analysis says about (for example):

This season to date:
                          GSW- Iggy +13.6 (note: last year w/Nuggets +6.7)
                          - Curry +8.6
                          - Klay Thompson +7.6
                          Heat- Lebron +6.6
                          SAS- Duncan +5.1

- Iggy suddenly has become twice the player he's ever been, and is more valuable to GSW than Curry?
                          - Iggy, Curry, Klay all better than LeBron & Duncan?

Whether by game or cumulative, still a useless stat for comparing players, but I'd love to hear what brilliant answers you have when comparing LeBron and Duncan to Klay, never mind Iggy.

-

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Meh. I can see reasoning behind this particular thread.. Amir's been consistently bad for the majority of the season.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Amir's been bad for a while but it seems quite likely that Amir's been playing at 60 percent for most of this season, which would explain a lot.

Comment

I think the main idea behind this thread is that we don't have a contender quality starting PF on the roster, or a guy who could develop into one. PF is the only position on the team with that issue. Our draft pick might end up being our future PF, after all, Ujiri drafted Farried late in the 1st. Either way, it's something that needs to be addressed before we become a real contender.

Comment

Working...
                                X