We really need Greg Monroe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

salmon wrote: View Post
    Bell Curve, Chaos Theory? lmao. New words of the day for you? Suggest learning what they represent before misapplying them.

lol, gotta give you credit for determination, but picking your battles might be an idea to ponder. So you and Primer are so convinced that +/- is a valuable stat over a large sample size, hey. Okay tell me what your einsteinish analysis says about (for example):

This season to date:
    GSW- Iggy +13.6 (note: last year w/Nuggets +6.7)
    - Curry +8.6
    - Klay Thompson +7.6
    Heat- Lebron +6.6
    SAS- Duncan +5.1

- Iggy suddenly has become twice the player he's ever been, and is more valuable to GSW than Curry?
    - Iggy, Curry, Klay all better than LeBron & Duncan?

Whether by game or cumulative, still a useless stat for comparing players, but I'd love to hear what brilliant answers you have when comparing LeBron and Duncan to Klay, never mind Iggy.

-
    Are you sure that I am wrong????? +/- is a bell curve stat as it deals with AVERAGES over large sample sizes. [Chaos Theory is some weird stuff, and if anyone figured it out even in general, much less apply it to basketball that would be pretty cool.]

It is a valuable stat, but like all stats it needs context.

To compare across teams is difficult, and not the purpose of +/-, its more useful comparing different line-ups within a team.

The fact that all those players have a net positive point differential on the season is a good thing. It means that they outscore their opponents when they are on the floor. If you look on NBA.com (see link below) for the top +/- of players who play over 20mpg and greater than 20 games played, the top 50 players in that list are nearly all in the upper echelon of the league. There are some players that obviously aren't part of that "upper echelon" group, but on a general basis it is a useful stat

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGen...E*20**GP*GE*20

PS: Igoudala's +/- is 9.6...not 13.6 according to nba.com

Comment

I want to see Monroe in a Raptors uniform.

He is a terrific scorer in the post, and he runs the floor well. Obviously his defensive effort is questionable, but I think he would improve under Casey and his defensive schemes.

I would love to have Amir coming off of the bench. He brings great energy and hustle, especially on the defensive end. Amir is injured, and has apparently been playing injured for quite a while now. I don't question his effort or his heart. This is the same guy that volunteered to come off the bench.

Its not just that we need a quality starting PF, its also the fact that Greg Monroe is that perfect piece to the puzzle. He's only 23 or 24, and there is still plenty of upside to his game. Alongside JV, Derozan, Ross, and Lowry, that is a (potentially) strong line up. A bench consisting of Amir, Patterson, Vasquez, Salmons, and anyone who may be added (or removed) seems quite solid on paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b203i5AhgE
      Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Sat Feb 8, 2014, 10:53 PM.
      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

It would def be a 3 team trade, as we don't have too many assets that can help them in win now mode.
        However, our most tradeable assets are:

Amir, Novak, Hansbrough, 2014 first, Vasquez, Salmons and maybe Lowry

Comment

if we wait till the offseason we may be able to do a sign and trade. Perhaps use one of our 2016 draft picks, If Monroe expresses his desire to be in Toronto, Detroit may just try to get something of value out of it.

Comment

This is a parallel argument with the Lowry argument. For the same reason that no one is apparently willing to give us a first rounder for KL (even though hes balling like crazy) - we should not do the same for Monroe. WAY to risky as a potential rental. If you could sign him longer term, then great. If not, then not worth it.
            In the offseason, he would be at the top of my list .. and I think hes actually achievable for a semi reasonable price ($9-10mm/year).
            As much as people love Amir (although that love has faded recently as he has reverted to the mean .. albeit while dealing with injuries) - I think everyone can admit that Monroe is a significant upgrade over Amir.

Comment

Except Lowry is a UFA, Monroe is a RFA.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                It would def be a 3 team trade, as we don't have too many assets that can help them in win now mode.
                However, our most tradeable assets are:

Amir, Novak, Hansbrough, 2014 first, Vasquez, Salmons and maybe Lowry
                Which gives you an idea of how lousy, generally speaking, our assets really are.

Comment

I see Phoenix, Lakers (in FA) and Cleveland being players for Monroe.
                  Here was my proposed trade:

Lowry, Novak, Amir
                  for
                  Jennings, Monroe and Charlie V

Pistons get 3 point shooting, a real floor general and a great big off the bench
                  Raps get cap relief, a great PF with upside and a decent PG on a reasonable contract, who can exceed expectations if utilized correctly

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                    if we wait till the offseason we may be able to do a sign and trade. Perhaps use one of our 2016 draft picks, If Monroe expresses his desire to be in Toronto, Detroit may just try to get something of value out of it.
                    That's why the Phoenix connection is enticing for Detroit. They are natural trading partners IMHO. Having said that, a lot of people have criticized Monroe's lack of defence inside. I believe he'll play better in that area in a Casey system. As for his rebounding and scoring, it's much needed THIS SEASON as the team moves forward in the playoffs. Detroit will be asking for the moon though and sadly, Toronto may be out of that conversation. The swapping of the guards (Lowry - Jennings, the latter being a good friend of Demar) may happen but again, this depends on a lot of factors. Chemistry is a big issue in Detroit. I highly doubt KL is the "glue" that they need.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Kind of off topic but Pistons just fired Cheeks.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        Poor guy. So not his fault the team sucks.

Comment

That's now what? 5 different head coaches in 5 years??? maybe the coach is not the problem??

Just look at the team that Dumars assembled. Bunch of team killers. Smith, Jennings, Villanueva.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Poor guy. So not his fault the team sucks.
                            Well, he hasn't done anything good either, in my view. No balls coaching, IMO. It took Billups to get injured before he gave a chance to KCP. He didn't dare to end the Josh Smith at SF experiment. He could've found a way to give Smith mostly PF minutes, instead he stuck to that big frontline and then he had these stretches where none of Drummond/Monroe/Smith were on the floor. It's pretty silly, in my view. Essentially, I think he was scared to offend anyone and still lost the locker room.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Well, he hasn't done anything good either, in my view. No balls coaching, IMO. It took Billups to get injured before he gave a chance to KCP. He didn't dare to end the Josh Smith at SF experiment. He could've found a way to give Smith mostly PF minutes, instead he stuck to that big frontline and then he had these stretches where none of Drummond/Monroe/Smith were on the floor. It's pretty silly, in my view. Essentially, I think he was scared to offend anyone and still lost the locker room.
                              I don't think he was scared. In fact, there have been multiple stories of players being frustrated by his benchings (most notably Smith).

I think he was handcuffed by the roster. They have terrible wing players and no leadership. That's why he started with Billups in the starting lineup, and why he didn't want to take out Smith from SF. Their roster is very flawed.

And then throw in unknowns, like did Dumars give orders from on high to play his prized free agent? To not bench one of the big young guys (Monroe, Drummond)?

I really think Dumars has been the problem there. He gets a long leash because he played for Detroit and built that championship team. But even that team was a huge roll of the dice that worked out. His draft record has been pretty average (up and down with some success), and he basically hasn't made a good signing since....Billups?

Comment

Oh man I hope they hire Isaiah.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X