Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's going to be hard to let Casey walk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's going to be hard to let Casey walk

    At this moment Casey has the raptors 7 games over .500 with 26 games left. The raptors have to just win 16 of the 26 to have the all time best record in raptor history. If they make it pass the 1st round and compete in the second(which I think is very possible). You could easily argue that Casey had the best season of any raptor coach. Just like it was hard for Casey to trade Lowry after the season his had. It's going to be just as hard to not resign Casey.

    Personally his just as responsible for this season than any of the players. Casey has done what he was hired to do and that's change the culture. His brought a winning culture. The players except to win every time they step on the court. I hope his back in the fall with Lowry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  • #2
    I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • #3
      KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.
      How many times have you seen him embarrass Amir?
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

      -Superjudge, 7/23

      Hope you're wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        I credit Masai more for the culture. All the players have said there was a totally different atmosphere after that hiring.

        Casey has done ok. But I don't think it would be hard to let him walk. His lack of originality, mismanagement of timeouts, and strange substitution patterns have still persisted through the season.

        The measuring stick isn't "has this coach done better than any coach in Raps history?", it's "is this guy someone who can take us to the highest level?". First and second round appearances don't equal the highest level. Heck, that's one reason I despise the idea thrown around here occasionally of hiring George Karl.

        Not saying it would be easy to find an obviously better coach, because there are very few obviously great coaches. But I don't think any success he has this year should warrant an automatic re-hiring.

        And on top of that, it also depends the direction the team takes in free agency. If Lowry leaves, and the team expects to take a step back, Masai might want a different approach altogether.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not sure I get you guys.

          Last year, when this team saucked serious, and I mean MAJOR balls.... did you think it would be how it is now? Why the hell would you want to fix what isn't broke?

          it makes very little sense.

          Comment


          • #6
            Craig wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure I get you guys.

            Last year, when this team saucked serious, and I mean MAJOR balls.... did you think it would be how it is now? Why the hell would you want to fix what isn't broke?

            it makes very little sense.
            I think white men sounds more like he wants to strap rocket boosters to what isn't broke.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

            -Superjudge, 7/23

            Hope you're wrong.

            Comment


            • #7
              I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

              It makes zero sense really.

              So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.

              Comment


              • #8
                stooley wrote: View Post
                I think white men sounds more like he wants to strap rocket boosters to what isn't broke.
                Pretty much. It's nice to have a smooth riding bicycle, until you realize you're in a motorcycle race.

                Casey still has a lot to prove if he's going to be the "winning" coach we need if improving on this season is the goal going forward.

                And well, we already know there are potential issues in using him as a rebuilding/development coach. (*cough* Alan Anderson *cough*)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Craig wrote: View Post
                  I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

                  It makes zero sense really.

                  So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.
                  I completely agree.

                  The other post i commented about also just said to not "automatically extend" Casey.

                  I guess see who's on the market. Does SVG want in, or George Karl(?) or just some top coach? Which seems unlikely. If not, extend Casey.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

                  -Superjudge, 7/23

                  Hope you're wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Craig wrote: View Post
                    I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

                    It makes zero sense really.

                    So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.
                    The only 'evidence' I've seen of this is one Dave Berri article, and it's complete horseshit. I'd love to see another source if you have one.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think DC was totally to blame for the awfulness of last season and I don't think he's totally responsible for this current team's turnaround.

                      He has a solid group of players who are all dedicated to putting the team first and have committed to the defensive end. Team chemistry and the 'fit' of individual players is more the responsibility of the GM than the coach; I don't think anybody anticipated the Sac-4 players integrating as quickly or as positively as they have.

                      If a better option becomes available, I'd support the move without thinking twice about DC. I could see TL using his big-name luring abilities to find a proven coach who would instantly demand the respect of the players and grab the attention of the rest of the league, not to mention free agents.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Casey isn't MU's guy. Not saying Casey couldn't grow into it but MU is ultimately responsible for this team. My biggest question is, can Casey grow into a championship head coach. I'm not sure he can but I don't know all that much anyway.

                        I heard Phil Jackson loves Toronto.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          stooley wrote: View Post
                          I completely agree.

                          The other post i commented about also just said to not "automatically extend" Casey.

                          I guess see who's on the market. Does SVG want in, or George Karl(?) or just some top coach? Which seems unlikely. If not, extend Casey.
                          We, as fans, tend to focus on obvious choices a lot as well. What if someone new pops up? A random assistant who Masai feels would be a great coach? Or maybe a former player? Hornacek's doing a great job in PHX, after being an assistant under the dreadful Tyrone Corbin in Utah. Clearly his bball knowledge and coaching ability was not molded under Corbin. And I don't know if there are any, but what if an assistant in a quality system like the Spurs, Bulls, Heat, Pacers, OKC, or whatever, becomes available? Sometimes you have to gamble to win big. Just gotta hope Ujiri/Leiweke are the right guys to have rolling the dice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            stooley wrote: View Post
                            How many times have you seen him embarrass Amir?
                            Once, a couple of games ago..he just really comes across as the kind of guy who picks his battles. Hell, bargnani was "our guy", but valanciunas can do no right?
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.
                              What the hell are you talking about?

                              I agree w/ ChristianL, Casey has done what he was hired to do and that's change the culture. He's brought a winning culture here. Raps are now one of the BEST defensive teams in the league. They were one of the worst if not the worst defensive team before Casey.

                              Also, DeRozan has developed his game, became an all-star under Casey. I also like where the development of Ross and JV is going. Lowry has also excelled and became one of the best PG's in the league w/ Casey as the coach.

                              I think you bring Dwane Casey back. To me it's a no brainer.
                              Mamba Mentality

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X