Duane Casey's coaching ability..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Casey has done everything he was brought in to do. Change the culture and improve the defence. He also did a great job developing young players. Take your pick Amir, DD, Ross and JV. All having career years. No coach is perfect. I don't think Casey is a finished product either. To me if he wins a series his the best coach in Raptor history. He has now 100 win as raptor coach. Only 3 other coaches have done that with the raptors Mitchell and Wilkins. This team is the fastest team to clinch a playoffs berth. Teams second ever Atlantic division title. I except this team to make it to the second round and if they do Masai going to have a hard time not re-upping on Casey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is so many things wrong with this post LMAO all I read is Im a homer because you just ignore all the bad

And no im not trying to argue with you because you clearly are not watching the same game were watching
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
      There is so many things wrong with this post LMAO all I read is Im a homer because you just ignore all the bad

And no im not trying to argue with you because you clearly are not watching the same game were watching
      thats true, he is ignoring all the bad.

but i still agree with most of what he said. all the negative aspects to me seem negligible, or hard to attribute credit for.

i think it would take a lot of bad to change my opinion of him based on all he's actually done right
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        Very true. This could, though, actually be beneficial, in that it actually makes us more objective; all we care about is seeing the best players on the floor, regardless of everything else.

I remember reading somewhere, in some stats-based paper, that the way in which coaches impact the game most is the degree to which they play their best players. It's a simple idea: the best coaches play their best players most frequently. Seems obvious, right? Well, many coaches actually don't do this very well, and these coaches lose more often.
        but there are times when that can hurt a team, such as with injured or old players.

i would argue that mental health, or state, is also a reasonable reason to pull a player. i think the reason we only hear of or measure the physical side is because there isn't really a reliable way to quantify the mental side of basketball

the difference between coaches on this matter is where to draw the line, not whether or not to have that line.
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Mack, you have the same amount of things wrong with you're posts, just stating the polar opposite viewpoint. You hate Casey and your disdain colours every comment you make about him, probably about 50 a week. There are a couple of others here with viewpoints similar to yours, but the majority of posters here do not share your absolutism.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            Right but so this has something to do with my point.

Was Vasquez in there to ease the load on Lowry, who had twisted his ankle earlier in the game?

Was he in there to try and add more ball handling to secure possessions or to try and overcome the lack of ball movement?
            This is very true. Kyle was really struggling down the stretch with his ankle and we still can't quite trust Terrence with the ball in his hands in late game situations so that might have been the reason.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Mack, you have the same amount of things wrong with you're posts, just stating the polar opposite viewpoint. You hate Casey and your disdain colours every comment you make about him, probably about 50 a week. There are a couple of others here with viewpoints similar to yours, but the majority of posters here do not share your absolutism.
              Im sure the majority of posters actual do share the same view as me albeit not as harsh ?

Comment

• One of the few problems with our record (and it also happened in 06-07) is that it ends up being a de facto shield against criticism. I want to post some excerpts from a Wolves blogger who was interviewed by a Sixers blogger when the Sixers were considering Casey for head coach. See if anything sounds familiar:

First off, Casey was nearly an epic fail at coaching X’s and O’s. At times, some of us Wolves fans wondered if he had any idea if he knew what he was doing at all. He was especially terrible coming out of timeouts.

It might not have been as bad as I am making it sound, but our playcalling/execution coming out of timeouts was absurd and horrendous. It seemed like we would never score, and most times it resulted in a turnover or terrible shot.

Again, it probably wasn’t *that bad*, but the fact that it is something I’ve never forgotten about the CCE has got to mean something. Casey’s substitutions were illogical and nonsensical. We fans were pulling our hairs out because his lineups and distribution of minutes made absolutely no sense.
                http://sixers4guidos.wordpress.com/2...e-casey-sucks/

Now, Casey did some good things there, like get the team to play top 10 defense, but ultimately we're seeing the same problems repeat themselves over and over again now. I think Casey makes for a great assistant coach, but as a head coach he is pretty much at his ceiling.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  This is very true. Kyle was really struggling down the stretch with his ankle and we still can't quite trust Terrence with the ball in his hands in late game situations so that might have been the reason.
                  That's all well and good but I have hard time believing anyone could come up with a reason why following a dead ball we have Vasquez not only in on a defensive play but also guarding one of the quickest players in the league. GV is notoriously bad on defense, that's not my opinion it's just a basic fact unfortunately.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    One of the few problems with our record (and it also happened in 06-07) is that it ends up being a de facto shield against criticism. I want to post some excerpts from a Wolves blogger who was interviewed by a Sixers blogger when the Sixers were considering Casey for head coach. See if anything sounds familiar:

Now, Casey did some good things there, like get the team to play top 10 defense, but ultimately we're seeing the same problems repeat themselves over and over again now. I think Casey makes for a great assistant coach, but as a head coach he is pretty much at his ceiling.
                    Sad. Yea he'll never learn. If he was doing that since he was in Minnesota and is STILL doing it we have no hope.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                      That's all well and good but I have hard time believing anyone could come up with a reason why following a dead ball we have Vasquez not only in on a defensive play but also guarding one of the quickest players in the league. GV is notoriously bad on defense, that's not my opinion it's just a basic fact unfortunately.
                      That is VERY true. Casey is just an idiot like I've been saying for a while now. Everytime I try to give him the benefit of the doubt he just fucks it up.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        One of the few problems with our record (and it also happened in 06-07) is that it ends up being a de facto shield against criticism. I want to post some excerpts from a Wolves blogger who was interviewed by a Sixers blogger when the Sixers were considering Casey for head coach. See if anything sounds familiar:

Then we have people on here saying
                        "But look Casey has coached us to 41-31, we are a top10 defense, everyone is having career high's under Casey"

Those were probably the same chumps who loved BC until he was finally let go LOOOL They just love to ignore the overwhelming bad this guy does on a nightly basis

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          but there are times when that can hurt a team, such as with injured or old players.

i would argue that mental health, or state, is also a reasonable reason to pull a player. i think the reason we only hear of or measure the physical side is because there isn't really a reliable way to quantify the mental side of basketball

the difference between coaches on this matter is where to draw the line, not whether or not to have that line.
                          LOL well, we know for certain that that isn't a problem with Casey

stooley wrote: View Post
                          i would argue that mental health, or state, is also a reasonable reason to pull a player.
                          I agree. However, you're talking about something very situation specific. In these rare instances, sure, you'll need to make adjustments.

They study I mentioned above, though, was talking about the long-haul. 'Bad' coaches, over time, tend play their best players less. Bad coaches are worse at finding the optimal rotation. I would argue that this year we've regularly seen minutes taken away from better players (Ross, Val, Psycho TDot, sometimes even Fields) and given to weaker players (Salmons, Hayes, Vasquez, Novak).
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Then we have people on here saying
                            "But look Casey has coached us to 41-31, we are a top10 defense, everyone is having career high's under Casey"

Those were probably the same chumps who loved BC until he was finally let go LOOOL They just love to ignore the overwhelming bad this guy does on a nightly basis
                            Are we ignoring the overwhelming bad or are you ignoring the overwhelming good? Last I checked, this team has no business being in 3rd place with this roster. There is no possible way that a team that overachieves this much has nothing to do with the coach. Just add a little perspective man, I'm not saying you're wrong, but you are ignoring the certain aspects. There are always positives and negatives with a coach, and there will always be different opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• He is incompetent at best.

Comment

• Let's put it this way, the coaches in the NBA right now that I would take over Casey:

Pops
                                Thibs
                                Doc

These are probably the only guys, who, if brought onto the team next year, would really improve the team.
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X