Toronto Raptors VS Boston Celtics: Friday March 28th 2014 7:00 PM ET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    First off... statements like "flipping him to someone else for anything" drive me absolutely bananas.
    Its such a ridiculous thing to say that I'm not even going to put any more effort into addressing it.

As for the rest of it, Demar shot 44.4% for the Game, and much higher than that in the 4th. The team shot 46.5% for the game.
    And with Kyle going 4-13 (0/6 from 3) and Ross going 1/5 from 3, I don't really see what peoples problem is. I get the 27 shots is a lot, but its not like anyone else was looking to step up and win this game for us.
    I'm fine with DD taking 27 shots if it is within the flow of team game.... outside of obvious last second shot clock situations of course.

But I don't feel DD has been consistently playing within the game of late and has been looking for his at worst and forcing it at best.

The Rudy/Hero ball is my concern. I also realize I am biased and it might not be happening as often as I think.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I'm fine with DD taking 27 shots if it is within the flow of team game.... outside of obvious last second shot clock situations of course.

But I don't feel DD has been consistently playing within the game of late and has been looking for his at worst and forcing it at best.

The Rudy/Hero ball is my concern. I also realize I am biased and it might not be happening as often as I think.
      It's definitely been an issue, but I wouldn't put all the blame on him. When the offence is stagnant, he decides to take matters into his own hands. They have to find a way to keep the ball moving more consistently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Volume scoring has become one of the most underrated things in basketball over the past few years. Not saying DeRozan played particularly well yesterday, but I'm reading "trade him for anything" or suggestions that replacing him with role/system players would improve our team. It wouldn't.

Volume scoring is valuable because there actually aren't that many players that can score with average/slightly below average efficiency while taking a very large number of shots. Players like this are able to take pressure off their teammates, put pressure on the defense, and create scoring opportunities. Inserting a 3&D guy to replace a player like that is not going to create that same effect.

DeRozan is essentially scoring like Russell Westbrook did for the OKC team that went to the finals. His PPG and TS% are a point and 1% lower than Westbrook's, but his PPS is actually a nudge higher (1.26 compared to 1.23).

It's fun to pretend that you can just replace a volume-scorers shots with 18-20 shots from role players. But the reality is you're not going to get 18-20 wide open or clean looks a game so those guys are going to struggle without someone to take pressure off them. Tough shots need to be taken in basketball games, period.

The only thing I will say is that volume scorers are better suited as 2nd options, not alpha-dogs. Ideally you're best scorer is a guy who can score 25+ppg with 1.4/1.5+ PPS. Unfortunately, there are only 4 players in the league capable of doing that right now (Durant, Love, LeBron, Harden). Though, you do see some cases where a volume scorer can actually be the best scorer on the team. Exhibit A is Kobe Bryant, whose PPS in 2009 and 2010 were 1.28 and 1.26 respectively (around what DeRozan's is). I don't think DeMar is that type of player though.
        Last edited by imanshumpert; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
          It's definitely been an issue, but I wouldn't put all the blame on him. When the offence is stagnant, he decides to take matters into his own hands. They have to find a way to keep the ball moving more consistently

During the 4th quarter last night, I would argue that you have your cause and effect mixed up. Watching the game, I felt like DeRozan forcing the issue and playing hero-ball was precisely why the offense stagnated.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            During the 4th quarter last night, I would argue that you have your cause and effect mixed up. Watching the game, I felt like DeRozan forcing the issue and playing hero-ball was precisely why the offense stagnated.
            Yeah that's possible as well. Hard to tell which causes what, either way the coaching staff needs to work on limiting the frequency of those situations. Derozan can make some tough shots, but it would be better if it was through the offence, coming off a screen or something

Comment

• I would hate for DD to get traded but I won't be surprised if it does happen. Most Likely a draft day trade. Maybe a trade with Chicago to give us Sacramento's first round pick and probably like Tony Snell who can play behind Ross and Hinrich who can play both backup guard spots. It seem like a good trade for probably both teams. Our lineup could be like: Lowry, Ross, Draft pick (Rodney Hood), Johnson, Valanciunas. And Chicago would have a good lineup too with Rose, DD, Butler, Gibson or Boozer, Noah.

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
                I would hate for DD to get traded but I won't be surprised if it does happen. Most Likely a draft day trade. Maybe a trade with Chicago to give us Sacramento's first round pick and probably like Tony Snell who can play behind Ross and Hinrich who can play both backup guard spots. It seem like a good trade for probably both teams. Our lineup could be like: Lowry, Ross, Draft pick (Rodney Hood), Johnson, Valanciunas. And Chicago would have a good lineup too with Rose, DD, Butler, Gibson or Boozer, Noah.

That Sacramento pick is top 10-12 protected through the next several years. After that, if is hasn't be conveyed as a mid-late (somehow) first round pick, it becomes a second round pick. If we are giving up DeRozan, I am confident that we can get a better haul than what you are suggesting.

I could easily see DeRozan get the Jrue Holiday treatment this summer. A young All-Star guard, who has yet to enter the prime of their career, and with a contract that has been "out-grown" by the player. There are plenty of teams that will be looking for a SG/SF (depending on the teams make-up) and would have intriguing assets.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                  That Sacramento pick is top 10-12 protected through the next several years. After that, if is hasn't be conveyed as a mid-late (somehow) first round pick, it becomes a second round pick. If we are giving up DeRozan, I am confident that we can get a better haul than what you are suggesting.

I could easily see DeRozan get the Jrue Holiday treatment this summer. A young All-Star guard, who has yet to enter the prime of their career, and with a contract that has been "out-grown" by the player. There are plenty of teams that will be looking for a SG/SF (depending on the teams make-up) and would have intriguing assets.
                  Big difference between holiday and DeRozan is contract length.

Holiday was signed for 4 more years.
                  Dd can opt out after 2 more seasons.

Does that make a difference? I'm not sure.

But I would like to raps sell high on DD *shock* mainly because I like Ross' game so much at SG

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    . I get the 27 shots is a lot, but its not like anyone else was looking to step up and win this game for us.
                    No one had the chance.

The offense was great all night, it stagnated because he "stepped up" and played Hero Ball.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                      No one had the chance.

The offense was great all night, it stagnated because he "stepped up" and played Hero Ball.
                      Hero ball?
                      I think its called Rudy Ball
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        Hero ball?
                        I think its called Rudy Ball
                        If: Hero Ball = Rudy Ball

Does that mean Rudy is a hero?
                        OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                          If: Hero Ball = Rudy Ball

Does that mean Rudy is a hero?
                          Technically yes but he's not the hero you want on a basketball team
                          38% from the field?
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Big difference between holiday and DeRozan is contract length.

Holiday was signed for 4 more years.
                            Dd can opt out after 2 more seasons.

Does that make a difference? I'm not sure.

But I would like to raps sell high on DD *shock* mainly because I like Ross' game so much at SG
                            That is a big difference, for both positive and negative reasons. Some teams may find it hard to take on a contract with the length of Holiday's. 4 years and 44 million remaining is huge money. DeRozan also makes $1.5mil less annually, which although that isn't much in NBA terms, it still is something.

I would also argue that if a team such as the Lakers makes a move for DeRozan, it is with the plan to compete in year 1.

Two first round picks with no money coming back...not going to happen. But depending on what Ujiri is willing to bring back with picks/prospects, could balance the years remaining on contracts.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Great pic

https://mobile.twitter.com/PrimeSN59...252800/photo/1

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                                Volume scoring has become one of the most underrated things in basketball over the past few years. Not saying DeRozan played particularly well yesterday, but I'm reading "trade him for anything" or suggestions that replacing him with role/system players would improve our team. It wouldn't.

Volume scoring is valuable because there actually aren't that many players that can score with average/slightly below average efficiency while taking a very large number of shots. Players like this are able to take pressure off their teammates, put pressure on the defense, and create scoring opportunities. Inserting a 3&D guy to replace a player like that is not going to create that same effect.

DeRozan is essentially scoring like Russell Westbrook did for the OKC team that went to the finals. His PPG and TS% are a point and 1% lower than Westbrook's, but his PPS is actually a nudge higher (1.26 compared to 1.23).

It's fun to pretend that you can just replace a volume-scorers shots with 18-20 shots from role players. But the reality is you're not going to get 18-20 wide open or clean looks a game so those guys are going to struggle without someone to take pressure off them. Tough shots need to be taken in basketball games, period.

The only thing I will say is that volume scorers are better suited as 2nd options, not alpha-dogs. Ideally you're best scorer is a guy who can score 25+ppg with 1.4/1.5+ PPS. Unfortunately, there are only 4 players in the league capable of doing that right now (Durant, Love, LeBron, Harden). Though, you do see some cases where a volume scorer can actually be the best scorer on the team. Exhibit A is Kobe Bryant, whose PPS in 2009 and 2010 were 1.28 and 1.26 respectively (around what DeRozan's is). I don't think DeMar is that type of player though.
                                Very good analysis.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X