JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Hmm this is a strange circumstance. I've never heard of someone being charged with drunk driving after the fact like this.
    Not strange at all. It happens all the time, calls coming from bar owners and etc.

Also, if there's no CCTV footage of JV driving car around witness "reported time" then his legal team may have a case. ( Of course, if he's not admitted to this offence already. If he admitted it to officers then it's done. )

Comment

C'mon JV get your shit together..
      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

if convicted with a DUI and traveling to the US:

"A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S; however, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States. "

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses

looks like as long as he doesn't do it again, he can still cross the US border. although i don't know if he'll get charged with any other misdemeanor offenses besides DUI.

Comment

Apparently the court date is set for April 22nd, which could be a Road Game date... but according Rotoworld, he's unlikely to be suspended this season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1832

Comment

"A visitor to Canada faces possible deportation upon conviction for impaired driving, drive over 80 mgs., or refuse breath sample. A person who has committed a comparable offence abroad could be denied entry to Canada.

Visitor includes anyone lawfully in Canada as a tourist, or on a work or student visa. It also includes a person who has approval in principle for landing on humanitarian and compassionate grounds."

work visa is different from self-employed visa, right?!?!?!

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
              Not strange at all. It happens all the time, calls coming from bar owners and etc.

Also, if there's no CCTV footage of JV driving car around witness "reported time" then his legal team may have a case. ( Of course, if he's not admitted to this offence already. If he admitted it to officers then it's done. )
              Seems like he has admitted already...going by some tweets up top in the thread....canned statement purportedly from him released & written probably by MLSE....expressing sorrow blah blah. ANyway its done now...hope he doesnt have a chronic problem and learns from this.

Comment

"A visitor to Canada faces possible deportation upon conviction for impaired driving, drive over 80 mgs., or refuse breath sample. A person who has committed a comparable offence abroad could be denied entry to Canada.

Visitor includes anyone lawfully in Canada as a tourist, or on a work or student visa. It also includes a person who has approval in principle for landing on humanitarian and compassionate grounds."

Dude, they won't deport him. That would destroy all professional sports in Canada.

Comment

Would they be able to postpone that court date?
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

"Possible" being the key word. He's worth too much to deport.
                    If he was some bum on the street, then ya, but I can't imagine he has anything to worry about.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Dude, they won't deport him. That would destroy all professional sports in Canada.
                      Yup, it's easy to throw away DUI convictions in immigration court if you're an athlete, but still.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        "Possible" being the key word. He's worth too much to deport.
                        If he was some bum on the street, then ya, but I can't imagine he has anything to worry about.
                        And can you imagine Americans and Europeans then all being susceptible to this? No agent would let their client sign with a Canadian team for anything. Every team across NHL, NBA and MLB would be fucked, as well as even CFL (which has ample Americans).

**Although Americans wouldn't really care probably. And it's not necessarily going to destroy anybody's career....but it would just complicate things so much.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Apr 7, 2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Just thought about something ...

The bottles very well could have been his "friends", who just didn't inform JV of the law pertaining to open bottles in the car...?

I'm stretching, but he just seems like such a good guy!

Comment

The bottles very well could have been his "friends", who just didn't inform JV of the law pertaining to open bottles in the car...?

Maybe. But him drinking and driving doesn't make him a bad guy. He just made a HUGE mistake and I trust he will learn from it.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                              Maybe. But him drinking and driving doesn't make him a bad guy. He just made a HUGE mistake and I trust he will learn from it.
                              Huge mistake? I lost close family member because of drunk driver. You think this guy also made a huge mistake? No, because he committed a crime same like JV did.. just without killing someone.

Comment

Oh Joey, that sounds suspiciously like the oft refrain by some of the bros down south found with the stash in the glove compartment and the defense is "my friend forgot to take it"...or "I was just holdingit for a friend". Not to worry, Leiweke and papa Tanenbaum already have the best legal beagles on the job. The "system" will work.

Comment

Working...
                                X