Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have a huge inferiority complex that we somehow don't "deserve" masai. Look at all the top execs/ownership combos in the NBA, they never leave

San Antonio Buford/Pop - 27 years
    Miami Pat Riley - 26 years
    Boston Danny Ainge - 18 years
    OKC Sam Presti - 14 years
    Golden State Bob Myers - 9 years
    Some people think like that. Maybe its because the Raptors sucked for so long that when we have something good, they think it will be gone sooner rather than later. Masai might leave (I don't think he is going to be a president for another NBA team), but until he does, I'm going to continue to think he is staying.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

I love that we take pride in how Masai’s blackberry never leaks but we’re frustrated we haven’t heard about his contract negotiations which very logically could be at the end of the season. The decision is impactful but not knowing about it by now? Who does that impact other than us? (Who, make no mistake, are very important). Sure, our espn future power rankings took a hit today but I don’t think Masai is sweating that. But I guess he might be. Who knows? He doesn’t leak.
      It's hardly a leak to say (themselves) "we've mutually decided to wait to deal with Masai's contract until after the current season.
      Teams (and players) do it all the time and it cuts the legs out from under the needless speculation/potential disruption. Hell, they just gave heads up on Bobby's deal this season and before that Nurse's contracts.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

It's hardly a leak to say (themselves) "we've mutually decided to wait to deal with Masai's contract until after the current season.
        Teams (and players) do it all the time and it cuts the legs out from under the needless speculation/potential disruption. Hell, they just gave heads up on Bobby's deal this season and before that Nurse's contracts.
        Difference is coaches and players do press conferences/interviews basically every game, while front office folks you hear from maybe once or twice during the season. They have no reason to tell people because they don't do enough interviews to get pestered by those questions. Only people who do freak out are fans and journalists to get views.

Even then, I'm pretty sure Masai told reporters during the trade deadline press conference, he will negotiate his contract later or something along those lines.

Comment

• masai is back likely but on a short term deal. This up coming contract will be his last most likely. for the raptors. Take that how ever you will. I do think he won't leave for a number of reasons. I think he likely feels the job isn't done and he is leaving the team in a weird place for one. I also think because there isn't much other situations can offer him there are a few things that could sway him. Commissioner of the African league that they plan on starting in a few years is front and center of those but that isn't yet.

Comment

• I don't see why he would take care of all of his guys just so he could leave. Finding people you trust and who are competent is hard. Would've made sense if he left and then tried to grab his guys to new location.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Difference is coaches and players do press conferences/interviews basically every game, while front office folks you hear from maybe once or twice during the season. They have no reason to tell people because they don't do enough interviews to get pestered by those questions. Only people who do freak out are fans and journalists to get views.

Even then, I'm pretty sure Masai told reporters during the trade deadline press conference, he will negotiate his contract later or something along those lines.
              Ujiri's been saying different versions of dealing with it later/at the end of the season and "other things to take care of first" all along which, it appears, was all quite literally true - but people wanted to read into the statements and lack of additional info.

Simplest explanation is the likeliest - they're all telling the truth and they're all fine with dealing with this after the season. Maybe that's actually just what it is?

Masai is extremely professional, including in his approach to trades and transactions, and I expect he doesn't have a need to feel coddled by the organization. It's business.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Ujiri's been saying different versions of dealing with it later/at the end of the season and "other things to take care of first" all along which, it appears, was all quite literally true - but people wanted to read into the statements and lack of additional info.

Simplest explanation is the likeliest - they're all telling the truth and they're all fine with dealing with this after the season. Maybe that's actually just what it is?

Masai is extremely professional, including in his approach to trades and transactions, and I expect he doesn't have a need to feel coddled by the organization. It's business.
                My issue is more that, if you are the top guy, you should be getting ahead of something major like this earlier than later. You don't want to head into a draft and free agency period with uncertainty at the top. If we are trying to recruit a free agent, for example, I'm pretty sure one of the first questions they will ask Masai is: Are you staying? He's a big selling point for the franchise.... assuming he's committed. The optics are incredibly bad and perception matters if we're trying to get others to commit to our franchise.

If he stays, hopefully it was just a leverage play, but again, why couldn't those numbers be negotiated earlier? Sounds like MLSE has been ready and willing to talk turkey for months, maybe years. If he goes, it will simply reinforce the NBA narrative that "nobody wants to be in Toronto"... even the guy recruiting people there wanted out. Just get it resolved quickly, one way or another, would be the right thing to do. It never should have gotten to this eleventh hour.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

My issue is more that, if you are the top guy, you should be getting ahead of something major like this earlier than later. You don't want to head into a draft and free agency period with uncertainty at the top. If we are trying to recruit a free agent, for example, I'm pretty sure one of the first questions they will ask Masai is: Are you staying? He's a big selling point for the franchise.... assuming he's committed. The optics are incredibly bad and perception matters if we're trying to get others to commit to our franchise.

If he stays, hopefully it was just a leverage play, but again, why couldn't those numbers be negotiated earlier? Sounds like MLSE has been ready and willing to talk turkey for months, maybe years. If he goes, it will simply reinforce the NBA narrative that "nobody wants to be in Toronto"... even the guy recruiting people there wanted out. Just get it resolved quickly, one way or another, would be the right thing to do. It never should have gotten to this eleventh hour.
                  Well if the discussion is going to be after the season (like a week from now), and the draft is at the end of July... the issue is what exactly?
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Does this help anyone? The guy right below Masai isn't worrying.

Comment

Does this help anyone? The guy right below Masai isn't worrying.

I'm gonna sleep like a baby tonight

Comment

• Knicks performing well also killed those Masai to NY rumors

Comment

• Lol Golden is the only person who thinks Masai is leaving. Just relax, it's not happening.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                            Lol Golden is the only person who thinks Masai is leaving. Just relax, it's not happening.
                            Thanks, bros. I feel a lot better now.

Comment

Does this help anyone? The guy right below Masai isn't worrying.

At least that sounds promising

Comment

• Masai spoke to my company where I work.. it was an interview with him. The subject was diversity and inclusion. He's a great speaker. But when a Q&A session came up with the audience later in the session, the pressing one was if he was coming back. And it was phrased like, we hope he came back to Toronto.. and he answered with "I really hope so as well". This isn't a sign of a guy wanting to leave. It's more that a negotiation never started.

And that's on MLSE. If Tim was still their CEO the deal would have been done the day after the parade.

Who's the current MLSE CEO, because he's an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                                X