X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Masai is like I got this.
    Bobby is like anytime buddy.. Lol..
    Culture is dying ppl, it's on life support.
    This year its not coach not players its all on masai this year

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Chemistry, professionalism, good vibes. The team has always had good character, effort, camaraderie. Not last year
      I would say consistent effort and professionalism. For a good 7-8 year stretch it was pretty rare to see the Raps outworked and outhustled. It happened but it was unusual and really stood out. If you watch enough of other teams (in my case Portland), you see a fair number of nights where the effort isn't there and that wasn't the case in Raptorland. Started to change in Tampa and it was a huge problem this past season.

Comment

Chemistry, professionalism, good vibes. The team has always had good character, effort, camaraderie. Not last year
        OK so feel good stuff, not a winning culture.
        Good for selling tickets in a city with low expectations beyond competing, just happy to have a team, good for stock prices not to have players getting arrested or being too outspoken on woke issues, good spokespeople for peanut butter or Subway commercials.

"Good vibes" .... nothing about winning.

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

Good for selling tickets in a city with low expectations beyond competing, just happy to have a team, good for stock prices not to have players getting arrested or being too outspoken on woke issues, good spokespeople for peanut butter or Subway commercials.

Didnt we have the best overall record in the nba over past 8 seasons or something like that a year or two ago? And whats woke mean?

Comment

I just looked 2nd best winning percentage in the league past 10 years. What type of winning culture you looking for? Good vibes nothing about winning? Both

Comment

• You really believe that outside Toronto, the team culture that would come to mind for most is "winning"? Not a chance. If that was true, FA would be lining up.

I buy hard work, I buy good people, clean city, smooth waters, supporting all the right causes (maybe to the detriment of basketball operations), treats players well, excellent fan base. But Raptor basketball culture = winning? Come on.

We have one win in almost 30 years and it was a Cinderella run. If you're always top 10 and seldom win anything, you're known as a well run and profitable franchise. That's it.

Comment

You really believe that outside Toronto, the team culture that would come to mind for most is "winning"? Not a chance. If that was true, FA would be lining up.

I buy hard work, I buy good people, clean city, smooth waters, supporting all the right causes (maybe to the detriment of basketball operations), treats players well, excellent fan base. But Raptor basketball culture = winning? Come on.

We have one win in almost 30 years and it was a Cinderella run. If you're always top 10 and seldom win anything, you're known as a well run and profitable franchise. That's it.
                This is just insecurity and the Toronto sports inferiority complex. We’ve had a better 10 year stretch than about 25 other teams. Most teams would be desperate to be as successful as we are. One bad year. Good thing none of us are in charge.

Comment

You really believe that outside Toronto, the team culture that would come to mind for most is "winning"? Not a chance. If that was true, FA would be lining up.

I dont know what to say. I watch cuz they can beat anyone the last 10 years. Maybe even more success if we didnt keep running into one of the best players to ever play the game. Teams that did better you can count on one hand. I used to watch every leaf game until i was fed up and stopped watching them 28 years ago. I suggest you do the same with the Raptors why do you bother?

Comment

• Am i the only one with an ad covering half the screen that cant be deleted?

Comment

Am i the only one with an ad covering half the screen that cant be deleted?
                      You are not!
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

This is just insecurity and the Toronto sports inferiority complex. We’ve had a better 10 year stretch than about 25 other teams. Most teams would be desperate to be as successful as we are. One bad year. Good thing none of us are in charge.
                        Sorry it's not.
                        I have family and friends all over the US and do business in about 20 different States. In conversations about the Raps, I have heard things like, always there but seldom get over the top, nice team that doesn't do enough to win (ignoring the fact that FA don't necessarily want to come here) and perennial also-rans (ignoring 1 Chip).

Few people outside of Toronto (I have never heard it) say the Raptors are synonymous with winning. It's more likely fan insecurity, desperate for US fans to think highly of us.

All Boston teams are seen as synonymous with winning
                        No Toronto teams are, it's just factual

Comment

Try ublock origin, also subscribe to the site to compensate this amazing site for the lost earnings.

Comment

Sorry it's not.
                            I have family and friends all over the US and do business in about 20 different States. In conversations about the Raps, I have heard things like, always there but seldom get over the top, nice team that doesn't do enough to win (ignoring the fact that FA don't necessarily want to come here) and perennial also-rans (ignoring 1 Chip).

Few people outside of Toronto (I have never heard it) say the Raptors are synonymous with winning. It's more likely fan insecurity, desperate for US fans to think highly of us.

All Boston teams are seen as synonymous with winning
                            No Toronto teams are, it's just factual
                            The Boston Celtics have 1 title in the last 37 years. The Bruins have 1 Stanley Cup in 50 years. The Red Sox have won 4 times in 20 years. Prior to that, their last World Series was 1918 and they were considered cursed. The Patriots were a joke of a franchise for 35 years before Tom Brady and since he left they have missed the playoffs twice and haven't won a playoff game. By your standard the only one of those teams worthy of being called a 'winning team' is the 2010s Patriots (and now they suck by your standard).

Other than the odd franchise like the Yankees (and even they haven't won in 15 years!), there are no sports teams in North America that routinely win championships. In the NBA, a third of the league has never won a title and 2/3 of the league hasn't won in the modern era (Magic-Bird forward). Those teams that do have lots of titles are all tied to one player (Bulls-Jordan, SA-Duncan, GSW-Curry, Heat-Lebron, Lakers-Magic, Kobe/Shaq) and once those guys are gone the team is back to the middle or worse.

If your expectation is that the Raptors are going to be Barcelona or Bayern Munich then you're always going to be disappointed because that doesn't exist in North American pro sports.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The Boston Celtics have 1 title in the last 37 years. The Bruins have 1 Stanley Cup in 50 years. The Red Sox have won 4 times in 20 years. Prior to that, their last World Series was 1918 and they were considered cursed. The Patriots were a joke of a franchise for 35 years before Tom Brady and since he left they have missed the playoffs twice and haven't won a playoff game. By your standard the only one of those teams worthy of being called a 'winning team' is the 2010s Patriots (and now they suck by your standard).

Other than the odd franchise like the Yankees (and even they haven't won in 15 years!), there are no sports teams in North America that routinely win championships. In the NBA, a third of the league has never won a title and 2/3 of the league hasn't won in the modern era (Magic-Bird forward). Those teams that do have lots of titles are all tied to one player (Bulls-Jordan, SA-Duncan, GSW-Curry, Heat-Lebron, Lakers-Magic, Kobe/Shaq) and once those guys are gone the team is back to the middle or worse.

If your expectation is that the Raptors are going to be Barcelona or Bayern Munich then you're always going to be disappointed because that doesn't exist in North American pro sports.
                              Thanks for all the facts but what you're doing is pointing out exactly what I'm saying. Boston area teams are "seen" (the word I actually used) or have the reputation as winners, true or not.
                              You think the Patriots don't have a reputation as winner just because they haven't won since Brady left?
                              The Red Sox have won 4X in 20 years vs the Jays back to back. You don't think they're seen as a more winning franchise? It's the one I might call a draw.
                              Bruins have only one Cup but have been near the top forever and set a world franchise record for making the playoffs in consecutive years.

What we're talking about is perception as well and clearly, Boston is seen as a winning city with winning franchises.

This started as a discussion of what Toronto's "culture" was. I just submit that winning is not the first word that springs to mind for fans outside of Toronto. And it's not.

People get so dam sensitive around here
                              Last edited by G____Deane; Fri Jun 9, 2023, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I recommend using Brave as your mobile browser. It's built to be secure and helps block ads and trackers. Of course RR likely wants to get paid for our use here, so they might not want you to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X