Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Coach

just doing some house cleaning
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      He may actually be doing that to help them develop though, that may explain the double standard. He's been on record numerous times saying how he's trying to protect JV's confidence by benching him when he's playing badly, and letting him play when he's succeeding.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, different mistakes may merit different treatments.
      I know this debate has been had several times throughout the season, and it really all comes down to personal preference, with regards to how to best develop/reward an individual (whether it's basketball or anything else in life).

Personally, my only issue with that approach is when the player isn't given a chance to prove that he's learned the lesson, within the same game. I've always said that I agree with every player having to earn minutes, whether he's a rookie or a grizzled veteran. If a player makes a mistake or fails to implement a key learning, I like the idea of benching him, as both negative reinforcement and an opportunity to explain what mistake was made (and to educate how to avoid repeating that mistake). I just believe that the player should be given an opportunity to show that he is listening and is understanding what is being coached, by being given another chance within the same game that the mistake was initially made in.

I get that there's no single perfect way to achieve what we all want achieved, and I have no reason to believe that DC doesn't want to achieve the same; to see Valanciunas & Ross blossom into all-star caliber players.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue May 6, 2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

He may actually be doing that to help them develop though, that may explain the double standard. He's been on record numerous times saying how he's trying to protect JV's confidence by benching him when he's playing badly, and letting him play when he's succeeding.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, different mistakes may merit different treatments.
        Here's what I know. Ross started to play a ton better when moved into the starting lineup and given 30 minutes a game. Had we not done that, I don't think we'd be talking about Ross as part of the future of this team. You've got to give young guys minutes and let them play through mistakes, it's the only way they'll learn. I don't think it's just coincidence that Ross best playoff games were the ones where he was given the most minutes.

Comment

• Hear MU say the core of the team is JV , Lowry, Patterson. Demar has probably reached his ceiling. I like Ross but has a lot of things to work on. With that said I don't expect changes unless the are upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
            Hear MU say the core of the team is JV , Lowry, Patterson. Demar has probably reached his ceiling. I like Ross but has a lot of things to work on. With that said I don't expect changes unless the are upgrades.

Wait, he said this?
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Wait, he said this?
              I don't remember hearing that.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                He said the core is Lowry DeRozan Ross JV Patterson Amir and gravy he started to say nando but he stopped himself
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                  Hear MU say the core of the team is JV , Lowry, Patterson. Demar has probably reached his ceiling. I like Ross but has a lot of things to work on. With that said I don't expect changes unless the are upgrades.

When are people going to stop saying DeMar has reached his ceiling? He's 24. Lebron hasn't reached his ceiling and he's 29. And of course I'm not comparing DeMar and Lebron the point is if the best player in the world can improve at 29 or whatever he is, why can't a 1st time 24 year old all star? DeMar is going to work on his post game with Hakeem this summer and is also supposed to work on strengthening his lower body to help on defence and in the post and he's working on improving his handle. But you're right he's probably reached his ceiling.
                  Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                    He said the core is Lowry DeRozan Ross JV Patterson Amir and gravy he started to say nando but he stopped himself
                    Yeah, I heard that. Basically the core is every player who was fairly young and played a role. Not specifically JV, Lowry and Patterson alone.

Comment

• you know what...

the people that have serious questions about some of Casey's decisions have valid points.

the people that believe he is the right coach and has done a good job have valid points.

I don't really think anyone is wrong here, and frankly I'm kinda torn myself. I'm not unhappy about him coming back. I am pleased that there may be some semblence of consistency for the first time in a long time.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        you know what...

the people that have serious questions about some of Casey's decisions have valid points.

the people that believe he is the right coach and has done a good job have valid points.

I don't really think anyone is wrong here, and frankly I'm kinda torn myself. I'm not unhappy about him coming back. I am pleased that there may be some semblence of consistency for the first time in a long time.
                        Consistency seems to be a recurring theme coming from the players and it makes sense. Who could perform well at their job if their boss kept on changing along with the expectations of them. Might as well give this a shot.
                        Because its 2015

Comment

• Vásquez_Valančiūnas wrote: View Post
                          I know Dwayne Casey just got resigned and I'm happy for him and all but knowing Marc Jackson just got fired it's fun to wonder what might of been if we waited a little while before committing to Casey. that said I think that not resigning Casey might have sent the wrong message to to our player, especially our free agents, like Kyle Lowry. BTW I'm not saying that we should go back on our deal with Casey.
                          Well, considering Jackson sucked at all the things Casey critics complain about, but also had an ego that clashed with management and the rest of his coaching staff, I'm not sad at all he won't be an option.

People tend to overrate coaches of other successful teams. Even a guy like George Karl.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Damn! *runs and hides*
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Sometimes, but I don't think an extra five minutes per game is that critical.

You look at a guy like Miles Plumlee, killing it in Phoenix who played 5 mpg last year and 25 mpg this year.

I think giving a guy 5 extra minutes per night to work through a mistake and pulling them to tell them what went wrong, before putting them back out are different but equivalent methods of developing a player.

If you've got an hour of practice per day, does it matter if you spend 45 practicing, and 15 being taught, or 40 practicing and 20 being taught? *or does it matter more who's doing the teaching and who's doing the practicing?
                              Averages are one thing but consistency is another.

Look at the wild fluctuations in playing time for Ross and JV.

Comment

• something that struck me during the press conference was that he was sending Mermuys to LA to help work with the player development in the offseason. That convinced me that we need to keep consistent with not only the head coach but also the coaching staff. At least for another year to see if we can go even higher (50 plus win season + second round in playoffs + contender status).

Comment

Working...
                                X