No announcement yet.

2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fields played 10 min. a game. So in 10 min. increments = 2 points , 2 rebounds and .7 assists
    Salmons played 22 min. a game. So, in 10 min. increments = 2.25 pts, .9 rebounds and .9 assists.
    For perspective Ross played 26.7 min. a game. Per 10 min. = 4 points, 1.1 rebounds and .37 assists

Question 1. Of the three who plays better defense?
    Question 2. Why the hell did Salmons average 22 minutes a game?

I realize you can't do things exactly like this...and the argument would be "Well, opposing teams would just sag off Fields." so he is only good for layups, 3 foot chip shots, offensive rebounds, assists, boxing out, defensive rebounds, hustle plays and heads-up double teams and weak side help....hey...wait a minute....that's all the stuff the Raptors needed in the series against the Nets. And they didn't get it from Salmons.

Easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but I am sick and tired of people saying Fields has no game. And who gives a crap about his offensive scoring if he holds JJ in check.
    Last edited by Puffer; Tue May 6, 2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• I expect JV and TRoss to make large strides next year. I thin, especially for Ross, that the playoffs were a revelation. At JV's age, the natural increase in strength, and a little weight will be very important to his game. I don't think he will have much trouble getting his next year.

I think Masai makes one move to bring in a strong contender for the starting PF position. And I also think De Colo provides a surprise next year, just based on his obvious desire, his ability to defend, and the fact that at one year older, he is more likely to get his passing under control.

Comment

• IF Masai call and tell Vince, 'we want to bring you back in Toronto'. I'd be SURPRISED if Vince say no. I dont care how much money Cuban offers him.

Vince has a legacy in Toronto. He's the greatest player that ever played for this franchise. He'd have a chance(if he comes back) to re-established that legacy. It'd be pretty dumb of him to turn down that opprtunity.

Here's a quote from Vince the other day:

"The situation matters, the right situation," said Carter, the Mavs' third-leading scorer with 11.9 points per game this season. "I don't want to play for free, but other than that, the right situation is what it's all about. At this point in my career, I just want to play for teams that compete for a championship. I just want that opportunity, so that's what I'm looking for."

Forget about championship. Dallas is not making the playoffs next season. They barely made it this year. The West is loaded. On the other hand, i expect Toronto to be a top 4 team in the East next season. They're not winning the championship next year either but they're in much better shape than Dallas.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Dude, at least provide a spoiler alert so people can stop reading
          I thought about it but that was at least a season ago! Anyway, I don't consider that a spoiler.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            Fields played 10 min. a game. So in 10 min. increments = 2 points , 2 rebounds and .7 assists
            Salmons played 22 min. a game. So, in 10 min. increments = 2.25 pts, .9 rebounds and .9 assists.
            For perspective Ross played 26.7 min. a game. Per 10 min. = 4 points, 1.1 rebounds and .37 assists

I realize you can't do things exactly like this...and the argument would be "Well, opposing teams would just sag off Fields." so he is only good for layups, 3 foot chip shots, offensive rebounds, assists, boxing out, defensive rebounds, hustle plays and heads-up double teams and weak side help....hey...wait a minute....that's all the stuff the Raptors needed in the series against the Nets. And they didn't get it from Salmons.

Easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but I am sick and tired of people saying Fields has no game. And who gives a crap about his offensive scoring if he holds JJ in check.
            Fields has no game.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              Fields played 10 min. a game. So in 10 min. increments = 2 points , 2 rebounds and .7 assists

Fields has to be hurt. There's no other reason I could think of. He had that bad fall in Game 3 on a loose ball play involving Levingston. Maybe hurt his back/elbow, whatever.

Him being inserted on the dying minutes/seconds of Game 7 was out of desperation imo, which i think worked, as in the end it just came down to the final shot after being down by double digits midway to the 4th.

I get that his contract sucks but he's one that I would like to have on the team. Nice guy, great ball IQ, pretty much a terrible-shooting Shane Battier.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                Hayes is around 6 million, Fields is about 8.5, Camby a bit over 4 and Amir is around 7 million for a grand total of 25.5 million.

Google is your friend.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                MangoKid wrote: View Post
                But..you have to remember that the contracts of Vasquez and Patterson are up in addition to qualifying offers for Ross and Valanciunas as well as a possible extension of Lowry. So, with all that being said, that figure is gonna look a bit more south of that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                Valanciunas and Ross do not jump up until the year after (2016).

But with Lowry's extension, Patman and GV re-signing, same for de Colo, you're going to see a big cut into the cap space in 2015.

And google is not your friend. Fields only hits the cap for 6.25M. The Camby buyout is only 600k on the cap next year.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 2014 Offseason Raptors Roster Evaluation

Ok so the purpose of creating this thread was to evaluate our complete roster, but focus specifically on evaluation of our free agents and what their market value is and what that means for the team's salary in the future.

FA Evaluation and Market Value (stats from basketball-reference.com [Toronto Split] and NBA.com for player comparison):

Lowry:
                  • Production -
                    Pts FG% 3FG% FTA FT% TS% RBD REB% AST AST% TOV% STL% USG% PER ORAT WS/48
                    17.9 42.3 38.0 4.9 81.3 56.7 4.7 7.5 7.4 34.7 13.4 2.2 22.9 20.1 118 .197
                  • League Comparisons at Position
                    -John Wall - 13.7/14.7/15.6/16.8/17.8 mil = 78.6
                    -Jeff Teague - 8/8/8/8 = 32
                    -Steph Curry - 10/10.6/11.4/12.1 = 44.1
                    -Kemba Walker - Rookie scale deal
                    -Goran Dragic - 7.5 mil, 7.5 mil, 7.5 mil = 22.5
                    -Ty Lawson - 10.8 mil, 11.6 mil, 12.4 mil, 13.2 mil = 48
                  • Market Value
                    -Between 44 and 54 million
                  • Evaluation
                    -He's the man
                    -Front loaded 4 year 47.5 mil (13/12.2/11.5/10.8 - 6% decrease)

Vasquez:
                  • Production -
                    9.5 41.7 38.9 1.2 85.5 53.7 2.3 6.2 3.7 29.5 15.7 1.0 22.2 14.2 107 .096
                    -Nate Robinson - 1.7 mil, 1.8 mil
                    -Mo Williams - 2.7 mil, 2.8 mil
                    -Jerryd Bayless - 3.1 mil
                    -Gary Neal - 3.25 mil, 3.25 mil
                    -Martel Webster - 5.1 mil, 5.4 mil, 5.7 mil, 5.8 mil
                  • Market Value
                    -Between 3.5-4.5 million
                  • Evaluation
                    -Good size, wants to be in TO, great competitor, good ball handling/passing skills, more of a scorer though, is played at PG though think he is best when on the floor with another PG who runs the team. Personally have him slotted as a 6th man SG because he is a better match defensively and is better used offensively as such
                    -3 year, 12.9 million deal - 4.1. mil scaling at 5% (4.1/4.3/4.5 = 12.3)
                    -contract gives good flexibility for team. Fair contract value. Will probably end up being more.

Patterson:
                  • Production -
                    Pts FG% 3FG% FTA FT% TS% RBD REB% AST AST% TOV% BLK% STL% USG% PER ORAT WS/48
                    9.1 47.7 41.1 1.1 74.5 55.9 5.1 12.7 1.3 11.1 9.5 2.4 2.0 17.9 16.2 113 .147
                  • Production Comparisons at Position
                    -Mike Scott - Contact: 788k
                    -Boris Diaw - Contract: 4.7 mil
                    -Marcus Morris - Contract: 2.1 mil, 3.1 mil, 4.3 mil - rookie scale
                    -Mirza Teletovic - Contract: 3.2 mil, 3.3 mil
                    -Lois Scola - Contract 4.5 mil, 4.5 mil
                  • Market Value
                    -Between 3.7-4.5 mil
                  • Evaluation
                    -Second tier bench PF role player (Top tier = Taj Gibson, Markieff Morris)
                    -Stretch 4, intelligent, great locker room guy, high motor
                    -3 year, 12.3 million. 3.9 mil scaling at 5% (3.9/4.1/4.3 = 12.3)

De Colo:
                  • Production - In only 9.2 MPG
                    3.1 36.7 36.4 0.6 100 49.5 1.3 8.5 1.6 26.9 17.6 1.9 18.8 12.9 105 .098
                    -Corey Joseph - 1.2 mil, 2.1 mil, 3.2 mil - rookie scale
                    -Will Barton - 800k, 910k, 1.1 mil - rookie scale
                  • Market Value
                    - Between 1-2 million
                  • Evaluation
                    -High IQ player, high motor, good passer, two way player, fast, brings intangibles, good backup PG (runs sets well), capable but inconsistent shooter, good handles
                    -De Colo's Qualifying Offer is $1,828,750.00, which I think is approximate to his market value. Very good contract for him and TO
                    -2 year 3.7 mil (1.8/1.87)

So in total to keep all the guys at fair market value would add up to:

-22.8 in 2014/2015
                  -22.4 in 2015/2016
                  -20.3 in 2016/2017

Are these deals fair for both parties? Do these deal make sense for the Raptors? The player evaluations are short and the comparisons are not as in-depth as they should be...feel free to add

Comment

• Great thread idea, and I think you've got some pretty realistic contract numbers there.

Trying to think of something to add, but I can't. I'd say that's right in my comfort zone. I can see us going over your estimates on one of those guys probably.
                    Last edited by stooley; Tue May 6, 2014, 03:11 PM.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Fair comparisons for Greivis Vasquez are not Jerryd Bayless, Gary Neal, Nate Robinson. More like Jarrett Jack, Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry.

I'd start at 5
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Mike Scott, a rookie deal? Diaw's ring chasing deal? are not fair comparisons.... Taj Gibson 7.5m, Ersan Ilyasova 7.9m are more the range...

I'd start at 6
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• you also picked rookie scale deals, which are in essense sweetheart deals...although De Colo is in the 1.5 to 3.0 range

Comment

• Lowry is bang on

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              Fair comparisons for Greivis Vasquez are not Jerryd Bayless, Gary Neal, Nate Robinson. More like Jarrett Jack, Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry.

I'd start at 5
                              Other than Jarrett Jack, those guys are elite 6th men though. On the other hand, GV CAN also play the facilitator's role if he's surrounded by the right players, so maybe that's reasonable.

thead wrote: View Post
                              Mike Scott, a rookie deal? Diaw's ring chasing deal? are not fair comparisons.... Taj Gibson 7.5m, Ersan Ilyasova 7.9m are more the range...

I'd start at 6
                              Taj is elite defensively though, and Ilyasova was supposed to be elite defensively (I think... I actually barely know anything about Ilyasova).
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Pick #20, yo...

But yes I agree. As much as I love Amir, we need a more consistent presense at the 4.

Amir and #20 for Paul Milsap.
                                That would be nice wouldn't it? lol
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X