No announcement yet.

2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are some more ideas, smaller in scope, specifically addressing Ujiri's "big wing" and "shot blocker" comments. I think it will be tough finding what we want through free agency. Here are a few ideas for little deals that could get us a useful contributor that's rotting away elsewhere.

OKC 2nd 2014 + TPE for Hasheem Thabeet
    TPE for Joel Anthony (he'd need to pick up his option)
    Hansbrough for Kosta Koufos (would MEM be interested? He doesn't get a lot of minutes there.)

Novak for Jared Dudley (same contract length, Novak makes less and Dudley's fallen out of favour in LA)
    TPE or Hansbrough for Chris Copeland (no minutes in Indy, can shoot, cap relief for them)

All of the above (except Dudley) are expiring after next season, so don't eat into our 2015 cap space. Swapping Dudley for Novak eats up about 1M of our 2015 cap space, but it's potentially a big upgrade if Dudley can return to form.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Backup Centre:
      - Spencer Hawes?
      - Jermaine O'Neal?
      - Jordan Hill?
      - Jason Smith?
      - Emeka Okafor?

Backup Small Forward:
      - Shawn Marion?
      - Vince Carter?
      - Danny Granger?
      - Andrei Kirilenko?
      - Marvin Williams?
      - Shane Battier?
      - Richard Jefferson?

Not sure what kind of salaries to expect with any of these guys, but I'm fairly confident in saying they'd provide more than Hayes and Salmons.

Comment

• Why does Toronto always end up with a player that is just so bad at basketball but yet is given so many minutes? Salmons, Butler, Bargnani, Kapono, Pietrus, Uzoh, etc.

It would be nice to have a rotation player that is actually pretty decent for once.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Backup Centre:
          - Spencer Hawes?
          - Jermaine O'Neal?
          - Jordan Hill?
          - Jason Smith?
          - Emeka Okafor?

Backup Small Forward:
          - Shawn Marion?
          - Vince Carter?
          - Danny Granger?
          - Andrei Kirilenko?
          - Marvin Williams?
          - Shane Battier?
          - Richard Jefferson?

Not sure what kind of salaries to expect with any of these guys, but I'm fairly confident in saying they'd provide more than Hayes and Salmons.
          Damn the centre crop blows for backups.

As for wings, a lot of those guys don't seem like the best options.

-Marion: Hates playing in the cold. Will not come back here, and will be too expensive.
          -Granger: No legs left. 4th wing material at best now. Will go ringchasing somewhere, possibly staying in LAC.
          -Kirilenko: A longer Fields at this point. Teams are giving him tons of space because he's ineffective on O.
          -Battier: I heard somewhere that he might be retiring after this year (??), but if not, he'll probably just go back to MIA or another contender.
          -Jefferson: No thanks. He's lost a lot of athleticism and doesn't have much game left.

Carter is maybe a decent choice depending on what else we do. I think Williams could be an intriguing option as well. And I would add...

-PJ Tucker: Just came off a minimum deal in PHX. Don't know what his cost would be, but he's physical, strong defensively and has enough O to knock down shots. PHX probably wants to keep him, but if they go star chasing, may not be able to offer him much money.
          -Al-Farouq Aminu: If we're going to get a long guy with no shot, might as well get a young one with fresh legs instead of kicking the tires on AK47 or Marion.
          -Jodie Meeks: To be the 4th wing and a designated shooter off the bench.

I used to have interest in Ariza, but now I'm convinced the cost will be too high and the risk high as well since he seems to mostly perform at a high level in contract year.

Comment

• Ariza's had exactly two good years in the last decade. They were both contract years. I would avoid him like the plague.

Comment

• Sonny weems was named all euroleague first team bring him home!

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

-Marion: Hates playing in the cold. Will not come back here, and will be too expensive.
                -Granger: No legs left. 4th wing material at best now. Will go ringchasing somewhere, possibly staying in LAC.
                -Kirilenko: A longer Fields at this point. Teams are giving him tons of space because he's ineffective on O.
                -Battier: I heard somewhere that he might be retiring after this year (??), but if not, he'll probably just go back to MIA or another contender.
                -Jefferson: No thanks. He's lost a lot of athleticism and doesn't have much game left.

Carter is maybe a decent choice depending on what else we do. I think Williams could be an intriguing option as well. And I would add...

-PJ Tucker: Just came off a minimum deal in PHX. Don't know what his cost would be, but he's physical, strong defensively and has enough O to knock down shots. PHX probably wants to keep him, but if they go star chasing, may not be able to offer him much money.
                -Al-Farouq Aminu: If we're going to get a long guy with no shot, might as well get a young one with fresh legs instead of kicking the tires on AK47 or Marion.

I used to have interest in Ariza, but now I'm convinced the cost will be too high and the risk high as well since he seems to mostly perform at a high level in contract year.
                Part of my reasoning with those old(er) guys is the confidence in them knowing their roles. Unlike a Tucker, or Aminu, who might look at Toronto and say to themselves, "here's my chance to get a ton of minutes", some of the older vets would come here to play defense, be a coach on the floor, and mentor Ross.

Comment

Part of my reasoning with those old(er) guys is the confidence in them knowing their roles. Unlike a Tucker, or Aminu, who might look at Toronto and say to themselves, "here's my chance to get a ton of minutes", some of the older vets would come here to play defense, be a coach on the floor, and mentor Ross.
                  My concern is a lot of them might not have interest, or worse may not have ability to do what you hope.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                    Sonny weems was named all euroleague first team bring him home!
                    I'd actually be down for that, weeks also won the slam dunk championship in the euro league
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      I'd actually be down for that, weeks also won the slam dunk championship in the euro league
                      What's it take to win the Slam Dunk championship in Europe, a one handed dunk?

Comment

• Wonder what it would take to get Wilson Chandler out of Denver. 2 years left on his contract but his last year is only $2M guaranteed.

Versatile SF that could come off the bench and be able to defend both smaller and bigger players. Denver has to resign Faried so they may want some cap space back. Salmons and a future pick (protected 2016 pick maybe) for Chandler?

Comment

• I'd be down for Chandler.
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Also, it's not like there will be limited minutes available. There should be at least 20+ minutes per game up for grabs, and if the guy has good size, he could see some minutes as a small ball PF as well, so 25 minutes give or take every night...

That would be right around what Aminu has averaged for the last 3 years, and probably the right amount for a guy like that.

Tucker averaged 30 last year, but I would say there's no guarantee he gets those minutes even staying in PHX, and he averaged 24 the year before that.

Marvin Williams averaged 25 last year and seems to have stabilized in that range over the last 3 years.

Carter has also been in that 25 mpg area for Dallas the last 3 years.

I don't see any of these guys really bitching about playing time or being chemistry problems because they're averaging 25 instead of 30 minutes. Think it would be fairly easy to define roles for all that would satisfy them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Wonder what it would take to get Wilson Chandler out of Denver. 2 years left on his contract but his last year is only $2M guaranteed.

Versatile SF that could come off the bench and be able to defend both smaller and bigger players. Denver has to resign Faried so they may want some cap space back. Salmons and a future pick (protected 2016 pick maybe) for Chandler?
                              I'd be good with Chandler, but I don't give up a 1st round pick for him. Cap relief and 2 2nd rounders. He's had injury issues and we're getting him to be a role player. That's not 1st round pick worthy to me. And if that's their asking price, move on.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Aminu is the guy I was going to ask about. He occasionally has a big game. Impressive defense, what looks like an improving mid range shot, but no 3 ball. Also, he has ties to Africa (so Masai likely already has a relationship with him). Anyone watch more than a handful of Pelli games?

Comment

Working...
                                X