No announcement yet.

2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good teams need a few heady veterans sprinkled throughout the roster. And no, I'm not talking about Hayes. I'm talking about guys who actually contribute on the floor. Carter isn't the only option available, but he'd certainly be an upgrade to what we have now.

And in terms of Ross' development, I think Carter could pay huge dividends, teaching how to use his natural ability to his advantage. Carter's been in the league for 16 freakin' years. He's got a lot of advice to pass along to a young team.

How the fans react should be the last thing to consider. Fans will cheer for winning basketball, period (regardless of who's on the floor).
    Last edited by Nilanka; Tue May 6, 2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      And in terms of Ross' development, I think Carter could pay huge dividends, teaching how to use his natural ability to his advantage. Carter's been in the league for 16 freakin' years. He's got a lot of advice to pass along to a young team.
      Ross pretends to be injured then demands mid-season trade!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        I say avoid Al Horford (and his faulty boob) like the Plague.
        As much as I think he'd be an ideal fit next to Valanciunas, I really worry that his injury is the type that could become chronic.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
          Noooooooooooooo!
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
            "Jumper's Knee" is a difficult skill to master

Comment

• I just want this team to make a deep playoff run. I could care less about Vince's legacy being reestablished in Toronto. That said, if Vince is willing to come off the bench behind T-Ross, accept his role, focus on defense, and not bitch and whine when he doesn't get his way, then I am all for it!

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                had to google "al horford faulty boob"
                That must have taken you to the weird part of the internet.

Comment

• The East Is Going To Be Much Stronger...standing still is not an option

Chicago Bulls - will have a healthy Derrick Rose back, as well as likely bringing over Mirotic.
                  Wizards - Their starting lineup does not have a single liability. Wall and Beal are dynamic and exciting
                  Pacers - Odd mid season stumble aside as long as they have Paul George expect big things from them
                  Atlanta - You saw what they did without their best player...now add Horford back in and playoff experience from Teague
                  Heat - Are the Heat
                  Detroit - is one well executed move away from being in the 40 win conversation
                  Cleveland - is one trade away from the 40 win conversation
                  Nets - with the billionaire behind them they will always be in the mix
                  Knicks - seem hamstrung, but I would not bet against Phil Jackson.
                  Boston - has the assets currently to make big moves and you could do worse then building around Rondo and Green.
                  Charlotte - appears to be on the upswing

Bucks - Philly - Magic are all solidly on the outside looking in

The Raptors cannot be content with just bringing back Casey, Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson. We need some more help (beyond the growth of young players)
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    The Raptors cannot be content with just bringing back Casey, Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson. We need some more help (beyond the growth of young players)
                    Pick #20, yo...

But yes I agree. As much as I love Amir, we need a more consistent presense at the 4.

Amir and #20 for Paul Milsap.

Comment

• You're right. Although I'm not necessarily sold on the Bulls getting much better. I have to think the 5 game loss was a blow to their confidence, and I'm not sure Rose can necessarily perform much better than DJ Augustin after he cut that deal with the devil.

Wizards - Nene is always hurt, and he's been their mvp so far, although Wall and Beal will get better, they're a real threat. oh, they may not be able to bring Ariza back though.

Pacers - god knows. they might actually suck and just overperformed for a couple months

Atlanta - Horford might also have some chronic issues, but no doubt they'll be closer to the Hawks of 2013, not 2014.

Detroit - one well executed move away from being good, so we should have absolutely nothing to worry about ( )

Cleveland - not too worried

Nets - only getting worse for the next 2-3 years before they can spend their way back into the conversation

Knicks - not worried

Boston - still rebuilding I think, but will be a threat in a few years

Charlotte - on the upswing so long as Big Al gets healthy

I think if the Raptors bring in a solid SF ( for ~ 5 mill) and a half decent backup C, and we don't see any unexpected regression, then I think we're still looking at home court advantage.

The wizards, bulls could pass us. Equally as likely though that the Pacers fall behind us.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I'm hoping they find a way to get Tony Allen. What about a trade for Zach Randolph and Tony Allen? I doubt Memphis would do this, but if they were upset with Randolph for the suspension, and saw Tony Allen as a long contract (they have young players being blocked by both of these guys), then they may be willing to do something like Hansborough, Landry, Camby (if you can trade a buyout), Novak, the 2016 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd rounder.

Comment

• I'd rather see us sign Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza, but those guys are probably too expensive. I think a solid free agent small forward that would fit in with this team and DC's defensive system is Thabo Sefolosha.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            Chicago Bulls - will have a healthy Derrick Rose back, as well as likely bringing over Mirotic.
                            Wizards - Their starting lineup does not have a single liability. Wall and Beal are dynamic and exciting
                            Pacers - Odd mid season stumble aside as long as they have Paul George expect big things from them
                            Atlanta - You saw what they did without their best player...now add Horford back in and playoff experience from Teague
                            Heat - Are the Heat
                            Detroit - is one well executed move away from being in the 40 win conversation
                            Cleveland - is one trade away from the 40 win conversation
                            Nets - with the billionaire behind them they will always be in the mix
                            Knicks - seem hamstrung, but I would not bet against Phil Jackson.
                            Boston - has the assets currently to make big moves and you could do worse then building around Rondo and Green.
                            Charlotte - appears to be on the upswing

Bucks - Philly - Magic are all solidly on the outside looking in

Counter for each team:
                            Chicago - We have no idea how dependable Derrick Rose is, and without him the team can't score
                            Pacers - Odd midseason stumble? More like continual end of season collapse that hasn't ended yet.
                            Atlanta - I take what the did without Horford with a grain of salt because who knows with the Pacers. This was a team that was terrible to end the season. But yes, having Horford back makes this team a contender for a top 2 spot
                            Heat - Are the Heat, indeed. But hey, Wade's not getting better at this point.
                            Pistons - I think you are right about the Pistons, but man that was a disaster this year. They have a long way to go.
                            Nets- Another year older for an old team
                            Cleveland - That one trade was supposed to be the Luol Deng trade. There's something wrong with this team as currently constructed, and one trade isn't fixing it.
                            Knicks- This is actually a scarier team than you give them credit for, because Carmelo. But you really think Phil Jackson, operating from LA in a role that is not coach, is going to be the answer?
                            Celtics - Still a couple of years away.
                            Charlotte - Not on the upswing. This year, which was mediocre to begin with, only happened because of an unexpected renaissance from Al Jefferson. He's not suddenly going to play better next year, and he probably won't even be as good.

I think 2nd in the East next year is possible if Lowry is resigned. I would take a long look at Livingston, or another suitable small forward, but I wouldn't make any big splashes. I think this core has a lot of potential. Another year development for Valanciunas and Ross for a team that was 42-22 with their current construction is something to be reckoned with.

EDIT: Missed the Wizards. Yeah, they are sort of scary, but they were quite a bit worse than the Raptors during the season, and I think the further growth of Beal and Wall can be matched with the growth of Ross and Valanciunas. (I don't mean Ross and Valanciunas will be as good as Beal and Wall, I mean that they will be equally as improved as Beal and Wall).
                            Last edited by Other Scott; Tue May 6, 2014, 11:05 AM.
                            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• JDDJ wrote: View Post
                              I'm hoping they find a way to get Tony Allen. What about a trade for Zach Randolph and Tony Allen? I doubt Memphis would do this, but if they were upset with Randolph for the suspension, and saw Tony Allen as a long contract (they have young players being blocked by both of these guys), then they may be willing to do something like Hansborough, Landry, Camby (if you can trade a buyout), Novak, the 2016 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd rounder.
                              Well that trade is LUDICROUS.

But those guys might be available. They'll probably take a couple of first rounders, Amir and maybe some filler at the absolute, absolute minimum.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                Well that trade is LUDICROUS.

But those guys might be available. They'll probably take a couple of first rounders, Amir and maybe some filler at the absolute, absolute minimum.
                                No more trades with Memphis. Unless we get Bayless, Ed Davis and James Johnson back.

Nevermind, forget Bayless got traded to Bostonia.

Comment

Working...
                                X