• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you know the Lakers would trade their pick for Derozan in a heartbeat

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I voted for #10 in the poll, for a straight-up value (per the OP).

I don't think he's worth more, at market value. In my mind, the #10 and other assets (ie: #20) could help move up even further and/or target a specific player in the top-10, if that's the end goal.
      So you would trade DeRozan for a pick that has a 75% chance of never making the all-star game, interesting.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post

Depends where the pick is, if it's outside the top 5 I think they might consider it.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post

I sure hope so.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            Depends where the pick is, if it's outside the top 5 I think they might consider it.
            Not much chance of it being worse than 6th or 7th. 75% chance it's one of those two spots, 21% chance top 3.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I would say top 3 pick only parker, wiggins, embiid

Comment

I voted #2 because the only thing the Raptors truly want out of this draft that's worth trading DeMar would be either Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Embiid is amazing but he has back issues and positional clash with Jonas. Dante Exum is potentially phenomenal, but risky, and point guard is still the deepest position in the league. None of the lottery power forwards (Randle, Vonleh, etc.) are exciting enough to justify trading DeMar.

You might be able to get Wiggins or Parker with the #3 pick (if somebody drafts Embiid 1-2, certainly possible) or maybe even the #4 (if Exum goes high, much less likely but still could happen). But realistically I think you need the first or second pick to get them.

If Masai is looking at getting Wiggins (and you know he's at least exploring options there) he's probably looking at assembling a package by agreeing to take on salary for additional first-round picks. Say he trades Salmons, Hansbrough and Novak to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, Chicago's #16 pick (the Charlotte pick) and a future draft pick of some type (a first-rounder, a second, whatever) because Chicago wants to lose Boozer's salary so they can go after Melo. Or trade Salmons and Hansbrough to OKC for Kendrick Perkins, the Dallas pick (#21) and a future second-rounder because OKC needs to free up money to pursue those good mid-price-range veterans they don't have.

Then turn to whoever can draft Wiggins and offer them a fleet of picks - Toronto's #20 pick, the additional first-rounder this year and whatever additional future pick they get by assuming the junk salary, New York's 2016 first-rounder, Toronto's 2017 first-rounder - plus probably Terrence Ross and Dwight Buycks and the rights to Tomislav Zubcic (because why not). That might get it done and if I'm Masai that's the route I'm looking to take in a Wiggins quest.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                  So you would trade DeRozan for a pick that has a 75% chance of never making the all-star game, interesting.
                  Read my first post in this thread, where I said if I was the GM, I'd only trade DeRozan for a specific player (ie: Wiggans).

The response you quoted was me playing along with the OP. I qualified it as being based on my expectation of true market value (just a guess), as well as by saying that doing so was contingent on having subsequent moves agreed upon, to be in the position to draft the specific player I'm targeting.

And please, quit spouting those stats as if they're set in stone. We're not talking about an unknown draft, with unknown players at an unknown time. We know the players who are going to be in the 2014 draft, so the average stats should be appropriately adjusted based on the true talent/potential level players available.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    I voted #2 because the only thing the Raptors truly want out of this draft that's worth trading DeMar would be either Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Embiid is amazing but he has back issues and positional clash with Jonas. Dante Exum is potentially phenomenal, but risky, and point guard is still the deepest position in the league. None of the lottery power forwards (Randle, Vonleh, etc.) are exciting enough to justify trading DeMar.

You might be able to get Wiggins or Parker with the #3 pick (if somebody drafts Embiid 1-2, certainly possible) or maybe even the #4 (if Exum goes high, much less likely but still could happen). But realistically I think you need the first or second pick to get them.

If Masai is looking at getting Wiggins (and you know he's at least exploring options there) he's probably looking at assembling a package by agreeing to take on salary for additional first-round picks. Say he trades Salmons, Hansbrough and Novak to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, Chicago's #16 pick (the Charlotte pick) and a future draft pick of some type (a first-rounder, a second, whatever) because Chicago wants to lose Boozer's salary so they can go after Melo. Or trade Salmons and Hansbrough to OKC for Kendrick Perkins, the Dallas pick (#21) and a future second-rounder because OKC needs to free up money to pursue those good mid-price-range veterans they don't have.

Then turn to whoever can draft Wiggins and offer them a fleet of picks - Toronto's #20 pick, the additional first-rounder this year and whatever additional future pick they get by assuming the junk salary, New York's 2016 first-rounder, Toronto's 2017 first-rounder - plus probably Terrence Ross and Dwight Buycks and the rights to Tomislav Zubcic (because why not). That might get it done and if I'm Masai that's the route I'm looking to take in a Wiggins quest.
                    That's an interesting proposal, and maybe any other year it'd be possible, but with all the hype of this years draft class and the potential franchise altering talents to be had in the top 3 spots (mind you I think Jabari will have a tough transition into the NBA, where he'll no longer be a man amongst boys - a big reason he dominated in college), I think it'll be a tough sell to get a team with one of those top three picks to trade them, especially after submitting their franchise to so much losing with the promise of getting a stud in the draft. A team like Philly will completely alienate it's fan base if it were to trade it's draft pick.

The only way I see it happening is if a team like Minnesota, Denver, Detroit gets the 3rd pick somehow, and even then I think it'd be tough.
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      The only way I see it happening is if a team like Minnesota, Denver, Detroit gets the 3rd pick somehow, and even then I think it'd be tough.
                      I don't disagree (and I'd add Phoenix to that list; they have so many picks this year they can trade themselves back into the 7-12 area of the lottery quite easily, they don't particularly need the top-three pick and if they get a top-three pick they'll also end up getting Minnesota's). But I think in order to pull Wiggins it's either that game plan or it's trading DeMar and a similar raft of picks. Because, really, when we're talking about trading into the lottery like this, we're only talking about Wiggins.

Comment

#1...Wiggins or Bust

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

That's VERY much my thought process, except that Wiggins probably goes 1st overall, so you need a high profile asset to move that pick.

Which is where DeRozan comes in. A package of DeRozan, #20, second 1st rounder via trade, and NYK 2016, taking back some ~10M salary the top picking team doesn't want, might be enough to pry him away.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            That's VERY much my thought process, except that Wiggins probably goes 1st overall, so you need a high profile asset to move that pick.

Which is where DeRozan comes in. A package of DeRozan, #20, second 1st rounder via trade, and NYK 2016, taking back some ~10M salary the top picking team doesn't want, might be enough to pry him away.
                            The Bucks have 3 contracts they want to move Mayo ($8M), Ilyasova ($8M) & Zaza ($5.2M)...now I know in reality the Buck will never be trading the #1 pick in the most hyped draft class since 03...but just for arguments sake, you would think we would have to take at least 2 or all 3 of those contracts back for them to even consider it.

Comment

Saw the title and immediately thought

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Liked this by accident.

Comment

Working...
                                X