Vasquez says that KD will come to Toronto to win championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    I'm just wondering why Durant would come here with no DeRozan...?
    One word: YOLO

Or is that four words?

Comment

I'm just wondering why Durant would come here with no DeRozan...? I'd assume he wants to team up with star talent?
      Why would DeRozan qualify as star talent?

Why would Durant want to team up with a guy who uses so much of the offense?
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

24 years old (26 when Durant is a FA), could potentially have made 3 straight all-star games by that point (has already made one), one of the top scorers in the league, has a great reputation for his talent and attitude amongst players and coaches.

That's why.

And if you trade DeRozan for a draft pick, unless that guy turns into a superstar in 2 seasons we're 100% not getting Durant. Especially since Lowry would be G-O-N-E if that happened.

Comment

24 years old (26 when Durant is a FA), could potentially have made 3 straight all-star games by that point (has already made one), one of the top scorers in the league, has a great reputation for his talent and attitude amongst players and coaches.

That's why.

And if you trade DeRozan for a draft pick, unless that guy turns into a superstar in 2 seasons we're 100% not getting Durant. Especially since Lowry would be G-O-N-E if that happened.
          I think what DanH was asking, why would Durant want to play with someone whose game doesn't mesh well (individual accomplishments be damned)?

Comment

Gonna leave this here as well.
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Ever watch an OKC game? You don't think KD is a ball-dominant player? That was the extent of my comparison.

My point was that DeRozan has never excelled as an off-the-ball player and doesn't play the style of game that is conducive to being successful without the ball in his hands.

If KD is interested in coming here, you roll out the red carpet and cash-in DeRozan, to further improve the supporting cast. Easy solution.
            This might be because Derozan has always been the best player on the Raptors except for his rookie season. You think he'll still command the same amount of shots if he was playing was playing with Durant?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              This might be because Derozan has always been the best player on the Raptors except for his rookie season. You think he'll still command the same amount of shots if he was playing was playing with Durant?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
              Perhaps not, but DD's main benefit to the team is being able to be moderately efficient while carrying a heavy usage. If he's not getting that high usage, his inefficiency becomes a big problem.

Does Durant have any reason to believe DD would decrease his shot attempts? As it stands, Lowry is a better player, and has low usage compared to DD.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Because he is one of the most aggressive players in teh NBA getting to the hoop and drawing fouls, causing the defence to collapse and opening up shots for the 134 guys

You think Ross, salmons, GV and novac hitting those wide open jumpers against brooklyn woulda helped???

Think Durant is gonna miss those looks?

Comment

That's why.

Could potentially have made 3 all star games. Yeah, except he won't. He made this year's because a) coaches don't recognize that Lowry was the better player on the team, b) loads of injury woes for other Eastern Conference teams and c) he had a big jump in raw point productivity on a team winning against the odds. Next year, I'd bet he doesn't make the all-star game.

Just so we're clear, you think a viable option is to let Ross walk, let Vasquez and Patterson walk, let Amir walk and let DD go to unrestricted free agency on the hope that a) you can re-sign him and b) you can sign Durant to play with him, with only JV and Lowry and several late first rounders as a reason for either to sign here? And you think this option is feasible?
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Because he is one of the most aggressive players in teh NBA getting to the hoop and drawing fouls, causing the defence to collapse and opening up shots for the 134 guys

You think Ross, salmons, GV and novac hitting those wide open jumpers against brooklyn woulda helped???

Think Durant is gonna miss those looks?

You think defenses sag against Durant like they do against Salmons? Nice try.

Durant standing in the corner as DeMar dominates the ball is not exactly an ideal situation.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Could potentially have made 3 all star games. Yeah, except he won't. He made this year's because a) coaches don't recognize that Lowry was the better player on the team, b) loads of injury woes for other Eastern Conference teams and c) he had a big jump in raw point productivity on a team winning against the odds. Next year, I'd bet he doesn't make the all-star game.

Just so we're clear, you think a viable option is to let Ross walk, let Vasquez and Patterson walk, let Amir walk and let DD go to unrestricted free agency on the hope that a) you can re-sign him and b) you can sign Durant to play with him, with only JV and Lowry and several late first rounders as a reason for either to sign here? And you think this option is feasible?
                      Umm no you don't have to let any of those guys walk right now.

What you do is you sign Amir, Vasquez and Patterson to 3 year deals with the 3rd year being a team option. If it looks like we have no chance of getting Durant in 2016, then you just opt into the 3rd year and look for another way to improve. If during the 2015/16 campaign, KD actually looks like a viable option, you don't pick up their team options and denounce their bird rights to reduce the cap hold.

It's not rocket science.

As for DeRozan, I'm not sure he'll make it the next two years, but don't try to discredit him for this one. It's not DeRozan's fault Lowry wasn't on the all-star team, it's the coaches'. Lowry should've been there instead of Joe Johnson.

DeRozan didn't just have a jump in point productivity, he basically improved in every single statistical and non-statistical category except for his field goal percentage (but his efficiency in TS% and PPS increased). Not every player can handle an increase in scoring responsibility and actually increase their scoring efficiency, have a look at Gordon Hayward over in Utah and what happened to his percentages now that Millsap and Al Jeff are gone.

Comment

Wow, I'm starting to wonder how every thread turns into a DeRozan argument, pretty interesting.
                        Myself (March 2014):
                        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Umm no you don't have to let any of those guys walk right now.

What you do is you sign Amir, Vasquez and Patterson to 3 year deals with the 3rd year being a team option. If it looks like we have no chance of getting Durant in 2016, then you just opt into the 3rd year and look for another way to improve. If during the 2015/16 campaign, KD actually looks like a viable option, you don't pick up their team options and denounce their bird rights to reduce the cap hold.

It's not rocket science.
                          Yeah, I'm sure their agents will be head over heels. And my point was not that we have to let them walk now. We'd still need to let them walk that summer to unrestricted free agency just to take a shot at DD and Durant, who could both sign elsewhere, and now we don't have Ross or GV or Patterson or Amir.

As for DeRozan, I'm not sure he'll make it the next two years, but don't try to discredit him for this one. It's not DeRozan's fault Lowry wasn't on the all-star team, it's the coaches'. Lowry should've been there instead of Joe Johnson.

DeRozan didn't just have a jump in point productivity, he basically improved in every single statistical and non-statistical category except for his field goal percentage (but his efficiency in TS% and PPS increased). Not every player can handle an increase in scoring responsibility and actually increase their scoring efficiency, have a look at Gordon Hayward over in Utah and what happened to his percentages now that Millsap and Al Jeff are gone.
                          Agreed. Of course that had nothing to do with his all-star selection and you know that. He won't see a similar jump in point production next year, and sadly that's what gets the attention when it comes to all-star selections.

Lowry should indeed have made it over Johnson. But if only 1 Raptor was going, it should not have been DD.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                            Wow, I'm starting to wonder how every thread turns into a DeRozan argument, pretty interesting.
                            The dynamic of the argument has changed.

Many past arguments have been proven false.

The new arguments revolve around his value it seems and whether the team should keep him moving forward or not.

I don't think anyone can say he doesn't have value anymore, er, I think.

Comment

do people seriously think we have a chance at landing Kevin Durant? I mean I don't want to be mean guys but I think we just assume that isn't happening
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                do people seriously think we have a chance at landing Kevin Durant? I mean I don't want to be mean guys but I think we just assume that isn't happening
                                it's a one in a million shot, but it's fun to talk about!

but also, I'd never really pull a knicks and build a team around KD when the odds are he isn't coming here!

I'd rather make our moves in 2015 anyways, that way we can resign JV/TRoss in 2016 freely.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X