Everything Chris Boucher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
    Boucher was always fun. I like energy guys who dunk and block shots. It mostly felt like he'd try to do 20 minutes of work in 10 minutes of play time. Ended with a lot of jacked shots that were ill-advised. Cool when he'd make them runs going the other way when he didn't.

This year though. Wow. The game slowed down. He isn't jacking shots. There are even moments when he forgets and is about to let a bad shot fly and then stops and plays within the offense.

And the decision making is so improved. He seems like he can make jumpers at the elbow or play make from there. He has great hands and a nose for the net. Some of those finishes through contact are really great. Something I'd like to see Siakam do more of.

He's on a hot streak, but what a big improvement. Really enjoy the offense when he's out there.
    This is it. I don't know if his shooting will stay as hot as it is, but it should continue to be career-best because he's playing much differently and much better with the ball in his hands. Like you say, good decisions and good shots. That gets you better efficiency.

Can Norm and Stanley also just decide to start making the right decisions and just do it?
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

A lot of good attributes but my favourite is his confidence. Chris shows no fear. I think he dropped a three his first possession in the league. Hes the type you want come playoff time. Why did we sign him to only two? Fawk!

ya AD just needs reps. Hes probably the most natural shooter on the team after matt. This nurse stuff about D being an issue with td and matt i dont get. I think we’re 19 in points against. Blur your eyes when td is on the court and you can pik td out because hes the fastest one on the court. Just a little too hype if anything but I’ll take it. I thought nurse had a talk with td moments after we got knocked out telling td hes a special player?

I feel bad for Matt. Id bench Nurse for a game or two so he can see how it feels. 3-8 whats nurses penalty? Smarten tf up nurse

Comment

His shot is freaking ugly but
        like they were saying on the broadcast it’s consistent. He shot the ball really well in his Gleague season. I think he can continue shooting it well.

His weight will always be the issue, but Camby seemed to get it done even in a more physical NBA game. Boucher will be a serviceable rotation player, which is all we need him to be.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          His shot is freaking ugly but
          like they were saying on the broadcast it’s consistent. He shot the ball really well in his Gleague season. I think he can continue shooting it well.

His weight will always be the issue, but Camby seemed to get it done even in a more physical NBA game. Boucher will be a serviceable rotation player, which is all we need him to be.
          he's shooting 48% from 3 lol

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Im saying that I see the difference in Bouchers game, and I dont in TDs as much. Im not going to act like Im an expert, you dont have to believe me.

Bouchers understanding of finding open pockets, his timing, and especially vision is much improved. In my opinion the best thing you can do on offense or defense is play quick. The classic example is the Spurs .5 rule - never hold the ball for more than .5 seconds before doing something. Boucher has really improved at his decision making in that split second on receiving the ball. Last year I thought both he and TD were good at attacking quick when that was open but either took too long to find the next pass or forced the action if the defense rotated well. Hence when they were on, they got hot and when they werent Nurse subbed them out quickly. I think net ratinn can be a bit deceiving in this case cause the situational guys get extended run when they are on.

This isnt to say TD is bad, hes definitely improved but playing in the league is tough. He should be getting more run because I think he could fit really well into some of these lineups, but hes still more potential than production to me. The problem is you dont know in a given game what hes going to give you. Until he becomes undeniable Nurse is going to give Norm the longer leash, for better or worse. Like as bad as Baynes and Len have been, the only reason we can afford to bench them is because Boucher, Stanley and Yuta have shown theyll bust their ass on defense to defend whoever, fly out to shooters or the rim, rotate on time and go for every loose ball.
            With Boucher, his success this year is mostly due to consistent extended minutes (> 20 MPG) and lack of other options by Nurse. When role players have guaranteed minutes without fear of being benched... they make better decisions. They don't feel the need to force things and "make stuff happen" in the 5 minute audition they get. Playing with that gun to your head leads to turnovers, bad shots and gambles on defense, instead of playing patiently, within the flow of game.

Boucher's first 3 games were a continuation of last season, getting his minutes yanked around in where Nurse played him :14min, 28min, 4min & 24min, in his first 4 games, with our good buddy T-Rex predictably saying "he's not an NBA player" and "why TF did we pay him $7M". And then he only got 15mins vs. PHX. After that he got consistent minutes and started this run of great games. Boucher didn't suddenly become a better decision-maker after 4-7 games... he just got a longer audition period, and that allows more opportunity to see the positive things he brings to the game, which is mostly heart, hustle and freakish physical tools. If Marc and Serge were still here, or if Baynes and Len weren't complete train wrecks, Boucher would be firmly nailed to the bench. His 3P shooting will obviously regress, but the positive impact hustle stuff he does was already apparent last year, and that should be sustainable.

Terence Davis has the same statistical profile as Boucher last year, which is why I predicted he would breakout this year. When TD plays more minutes... he plays better, maintains his efficiency with higher USG, and has a bigger impact on winning. Just have to live though the mistakes.

Comment

Dude, boucher's success isnt mostly due to extended playing time or a lack of options. Maybe he is lucky to be getting more playing time due to our other bigs being shit, but its up to the player to make the most of it. You can make bad decisions in an extended run as well as a short stint. Youre doing boucher a terrible disservice by chaulking it up to mostly playing time. Not every player can or will make the most of extra time on the court. He's playing well, shooting great, blocking shots and making better decisions. Hes not doing that just cause he plays more, hes doing it cause he has improved and understands the game more and his role within it.

Comment

Boucher paid his dues. He did whole Gleague season, got limited time last year due to injuries now he's taking advantage of opportunity.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  Dude, boucher's success isnt mostly due to extended playing time or a lack of options. Maybe he is lucky to be getting more playing time due to our other bigs being shit, but its up to the player to make the most of it. You can make bad decisions in an extended run as well as a short stint. Youre doing boucher a terrible disservice by chaulking it up to mostly playing time. Not every player can or will make the most of extra time on the court. He's playing well, shooting great, blocking shots and making better decisions. Hes not doing that just cause he plays more, hes doing it cause he has improved and understands the game more and his role within it.
                  Disservice? Dude, you're completely twisting what I'm saying.

I'm possibly the biggest Boucher stan on this board... going back to last year. I'm trying to say that he was ready to contribute like this last year - the numbers showed that, and that we should have given him more minutes in the playoffs. I'm not surprised he's doing well, like everybody else. He was ready and I realized that earlier than most.
                  Last edited by golden; Sat Jan 16, 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

I'm possibly the biggest Boucher stan on this board... going back to last year. I'm trying to say that he was ready to contribute like this last year - the numbers showed that, and that we should have given him more minutes in the playoffs. I'm not surprised he's doing well, like everybody else. He was ready and I realized that earlier than most.
                    I would agree with jaws. Boucher put in a ton of work and its evident in his play, which sets him apart from 95% of guys who were in his position last year - by saying he was this guy the whole time is a disservice to the work he put in. There is something to be said for giving guys more minutes to get rhythm and confidence, totally agree there - I just dont think thats all there is. Boucher got a lot better at the little things, so even when his shot stops falling he’ll stay a good NBA player which separates him from a lot of guys.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

I would agree with jaws. Boucher put in a ton of work and its evident in his play, which sets him apart from 95% of guys who were in his position last year - by saying he was this guy the whole time is a disservice to the work he put in. There is something to be said for giving guys more minutes to get rhythm and confidence, totally agree there - I just dont think thats all there is. Boucher got a lot better at the little things, so even when his shot stops falling he’ll stay a good NBA player which separates him from a lot of guys.
                      Boucher put in a ton of work before the bubble, when there was more downtime and it showed in the pre-playoff games. Nurse just wouldn’t play him in the playoffs, because he was only rolling with the championship 7. The turnaround between the playoffs and the season was short. Sure, he could obviously improve there too, but he didn’t take this quantum leap between the bubble and this season. His numbers last year showed he could do this, if given more minutes with the security of not being benched too quick.

Comment

You're both (all?) right.
                        Boucher put in the time and effort to understand his game better and is putting it into action, feeling less pressure by receiving a regular role.

Everyone feeling better?

Comment

Tresboucher featured in an article for Rotoworld

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/ro...-chris-boucher

Comment

Well i agree with you to a certain extent. He deserves the minutes, but because of the way he is playing now than in the past. He is better this season than in the past, and its not just a result of more playing time, is all Im saying. And i get the sense you think that bouchers success is evidence that other guys, namely TD, deserve more playing time as well, because if get it they will be better. Thats not necessarily the case IMO. Like you, i do think davis should see the floor more, i just dont believe that it means he will make the most of it. Youre post i responded to suggested it was the increase in PT that was responsible for the improved play, but I think there is alot more to it than that. In any event, we are probably on the same page here and Im just picking on reason you suggested the better play was a result of.

Comment

I've seen enough.

Unloose the Bouche.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post

Well i agree with you to a certain extent. He deserves the minutes, but because of the way he is playing now than in the past. He is better this season than in the past, and its not just a result of more playing time, is all Im saying. And i get the sense you think that bouchers success is evidence that other guys, namely TD, deserve more playing time as well, because if get it they will be better. Thats not necessarily the case IMO. Like you, i do think davis should see the floor more, i just dont believe that it means he will make the most of it. Youre post i responded to suggested it was the increase in PT that was responsible for the improved play, but I think there is alot more to it than that. In any event, we are probably on the same page here and Im just picking on reason you suggested the better play was a result of.
                                Uh, no. Last year, when Boucher played more than 20 minutes (24.5 MPG) he put up 17/8.5, 44% 3P%, on a hyper-efficient 139 ORTG, with an excellent positive impact (+19.7 net rating). He's pretty much the same player as last year.

This year, Boucher is putting up 15.8/6.8, 47% on 3P%, in 23.5 MPG on a hyper-efficient 143 ORTG, with the best positive impact on the team (+6.1). He's doing almost exactly the same thing he did last year.... when he got more minutes. I mentioned this a number of times throughout the year, like below. TBH, his breakout was pretty easy to predict based on last year's numbers, since most of his production independent of scheme (e.g. hustle, physical tools).

I'd imagine both Serge and Boucher are high on the Rockets wish list: rim protection + rebounding + floor spacing.
                                You look at Boucher's overall 3P% and it's only 32%, but that's deceiving. The more minutes he got, the better he shot (44%, 3P) & played overall - just outstanding numbers and a positive impact on winning.

Boucher just needs the security of a defined role and consistent minutes and to be allowed to play through his mistakes... like FVV, but Nurse is pretty tough on his bench guys. Some team will probably pick him up for cheap and he'll breakout like Christian Wood.
                                https://www.basketball-reference.com...01/splits/2020
                                Davis has a similar profile to Boucher, based on his splits from last year. The more minutes he plays, the more efficient he is and the bigger winning impact (net rating):

https://www.basketball-reference.com...02/splits/2020

Davis isn't playing because he makes ugly defensive gaffes (like fouling 3-pt shooters), but even with those mistakes, he's still a positive impact player.... 2nd on the team behind Boucher, ironcially. So, IMO, it's worth giving TD guaranteed minutes to work through those mistakes and develop another 2-way player with offensive upside. Regardless, TD will end up breaking out for some team, and ideally that's the Raptors on a team friendly 3-yr deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X