No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demar can opt out in 2016 free agency right? Wouldn't it be hard to sign a free agent with trying to sign DD on the side? I hope MU and TL asks him to opt in so we have a better chance of signing KD.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      in fact if Houston kept their current setup..and added Millsap at 10m kept Ariza at 8 and kept Beverley. That starting lineup would be both strong defensively, versatile offensively, and you could still afford a half decent bench with exceptions and rookies.
      But they wont. Millsap, Ariza arent big enough names. Boozer,Love or Gay would be their choices.

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
        Demar can opt out in 2016 free agency right? Wouldn't it be hard to sign a free agent with trying to sign DD on the side? I hope MU and TL asks him to opt in so we have a better chance of signing KD.

Lol, this is not how the NBA (or business of any sort) works.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          Lol, this is not how the NBA (or business of any sort) works.
          I know it's unlikely, but DeMar loves Toronto and wants to win, why would he jeopardize the chances of signing the best player in the world?

Comment

I know it's unlikely, but DeMar loves Toronto and wants to win, why would he jeopardize the chances of signing the best player in the world?

"Hey DeMar, we need you to be underpaid for another year and miss out on a guaranteed, potentially 14M+ per year contract so we can attempt to sign KD with no guarantees whatsoever!"

Comment

• D Wade is so not worth 15M per year..

Comment

Demar can opt out in 2016 free agency right? Wouldn't it be hard to sign a free agent with trying to sign DD on the side? I hope MU and TL asks him to opt in so we have a better chance of signing KD.

Assuming Demar is committed to the Raptors it will actually be a pretty good situation for us. We'll have Demar's bird rights, so we can go over the cap to resign him. His cap hold will be $14.25M, which I expect to be less than what his new deal will start at, so we can go out and sign someone like Durant before resigning Demar to a higher salary. If Demar really wants to help the team out he could play out the 2016 season at his $9.5M salary and then get his big payday the next year. That would give us an extra $5M in cap to go after Durant or whoever.

Comment

Depending on the situation Demar opting out or in helps. At 9.5M opting in helps land a big free agent since his cap hold would be much higher.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Assuming Demar is committed to the Raptors it will actually be a pretty good situation for us. We'll have Demar's bird rights, so we can go over the cap to resign him. His cap hold will be $14.25M, which I expect to be less than what his new deal will start at, so we can go out and sign someone like Durant before resigning Demar to a higher salary. If Demar really wants to help the team out he could play out the 2016 season at his $9.5M salary and then get his big payday the next year. That would give us an extra $5M in cap to go after Durant or whoever.
                    Yeah, no. We also have huge cap holds on JV and Ross that year, so we can't sign KD outright while keeping DD's rights unless we let one of them go. Would have to be a sign and trade using expirings (which we have plenty of that year - 2Pat, Vasquez, etc)

Comment

"Hey DeMar, we need you to be underpaid for another year and miss out on a guaranteed, potentially 14M+ per year contract so we can attempt to sign KD with no guarantees whatsoever!"
                      Or "Hey DeMar, can you opt in on this contract and allow us to pay you a 15M per year contract next year so we can sign a top notch player this off-season to potentially get to the Finals?"

Comment

Or "Hey DeMar, can you opt in on this contract and allow us to pay you a 15M per year contract next year so we can sign a top notch player this off-season to potentially get to the Finals?"

"Oh hey DeMar, can you opt in, pray to God you don't get injured next season so you can still get a big contract? Oh also, if KD comes your numbers will go down and you might get paid less, but hey, you gotta do it bro!"

Comment

Well, Masai could just give him his word that they will resign him to the max in 2017. That's basically what Riley did with Wade in Miami. Opt out to save us cap this year, and I promise I'll resign you long term for more money.

Comment

• Yeah 2016 is gonna be one hell of a free agency year

Right now we have..
                            Fields 8,500,000
                            Camby 4,200,000
                            Hayes 5,960,000
                            L.Williams 5,450,000
                            Hansbrough 3,330,000
                            Coming off the books by end of 2014-2015 season
                            And I think Amir who is owed 7,000,000 can take a pay cut
                            And maybe we don't sign GV back? Or sign back much cheaper?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              Well, Masai could just give him his word that they will resign him to the max in 2017. That's basically what Riley did with Wade in Miami. Opt out to save us cap this year, and I promise I'll resign you long term for more money.
                              Here's the difference. Wade isn't getting paid anywhere else, and he's also getting more guaranteed money in his new deal anyway.

Comment

"Oh hey DeMar, can you opt in, pray to God you don't get injured next season so you can still get a big contract? Oh also, if KD comes your numbers will go down and you might get paid less, but hey, you gotta do it bro!"
                                DeMar is really really durable I'm sure he wouldn't be too worried about an injury affecting his contract status.. And why would he care if his numbers go down if he's playing with the (arguably) best player in the world? Winning is what makes players take pay cuts, and allow their usage to go down, DeMar wants to win.

Comment

Working...
                                X