Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    NBA opening day rosters have 13 Canucks on them by my count: Powell, Olynyk, Dalembert, Joseph, Thompson, Anthony, Wiggins, Bennett, Stauskas, Ennis, Nicholson, Sacre, and Nash (still collecting a pay cheque but not playing).

Without research, I believe that is the biggest total yet for Canadians. Looking at the list more closely, that's a lot of part time players and scrubs, not one average NBA regular, stats wise, in the whole list. Of the current group, I think Stauskas and Wiggins could someday be average NBA starters.
    I think you're selling the list a little short.

Nash is done. Dalembert's done in a couple years.
    Sacre and Anthony are certified scrubs.
    Powell will probably be a scrub, but we can't say for sure yet.

Nicholson is likely a bench player at best. Not sure what's there in Joseph but signs aren't that positive.

Ennis is a question mark but probably has the talent to be a starter four-five years down the road.

Stauskas has looked great in preseason and although we don't know how that will carry over to the regular season, he definitely has the tools to be an average NBA starter.

Thompson is definitely already an average NBA starter. League averages for players who started 40 or more games (145 players total) were 14ppg, 5.6rpg, 3.1apg. Thompson put up a near double-double. He's already there.

Bennett could fulfill his Larry Johnson-like potential. He already looks leaps and bounds better than he did last year.

Olynyk put up 15.6/9.4/2.8 per 36 last year and is the starting C, his numbers are only going to get better. I bet he passes league averages this year.

Wiggins should have an opportunity to be average this year, but I bet by his sophomore season he's there too.

So Stauskas, Thompson, Olynyk and Wiggins, and possibly Bennett and Ennis could be average or better NBA starters. That's a good group to start with, and we've got more guys coming in the pipes.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I think you're selling the list a little short.

Nash is done. Dalembert's done in a couple years.
      Sacre and Anthony are certified scrubs.
      Powell will probably be a scrub, but we can't say for sure yet.

Nicholson is likely a bench player at best. Not sure what's there in Joseph but signs aren't that positive.

Ennis is a question mark but probably has the talent to be a starter four-five years down the road.

Stauskas has looked great in preseason and although we don't know how that will carry over to the regular season, he definitely has the tools to be an average NBA starter.

Thompson is definitely already an average NBA starter. League averages for players who started 40 or more games (145 players total) were 14ppg, 5.6rpg, 3.1apg. Thompson put up a near double-double. He's already there.

Bennett could fulfill his Larry Johnson-like potential. He already looks leaps and bounds better than he did last year.

Olynyk put up 15.6/9.4/2.8 per 36 last year and is the starting C, his numbers are only going to get better. I bet he passes league averages this year.

Wiggins should have an opportunity to be average this year, but I bet by his sophomore season he's there too.

So Stauskas, Thompson, Olynyk and Wiggins, and possibly Bennett and Ennis could be average or better NBA starters. That's a good group to start with, and we've got more guys coming in the pipes.
      Thompson is a below average as a starting NBA power forward. Among power forwards, Tristan is 23rd in scoring, 10th in rebounding, 20th in field goal percentage, 20th in free throw percentage, 41st in assists, 37th in steals, 41st in blocks, 21st in turnovers, and 5th in double doubles.

Of all those stats, TT is above average in rebounding, turnovers, and double doubles. He lags behind considerably in every other statistical category.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...power-forwards

Thompson minutes are likely going drop this season as Lebron and Love play power forward and Tristan will be coming off the bench as a back up center mostly.
      Last edited by stretch; Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• bbdoolittle Bradford Doolittle
        #NBA has record 101 international players on rosters for 2014-15. The leaders: Canada 12, France 10, Australia 8, Brazil 7, Spain 5.

Comment

• Andrew Nicholson DNP last night ... His stock has gone down since Rookie year

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
            Andrew Nicholson DNP last night ... His stock has gone down since Rookie year
            Andrew Nicholson's status as an NBA player is tenuous. I think he would thrive in a Euro league. Next year this time there will likely be less Canadians in the NBA with this being Anthony's last year of his contract plus Sacre and Nicholson are currently on shaky ground, NBA career wise.

Comment

• Orlando has the worst head coach in the league -- don't take his lack of play as flaws on his end, or, an indication how the rest of the league sees him.

Comment

NBA opening day rosters have 13 Canucks on them by my count: Powell, Olynyk, Dalembert, Joseph, Thompson, Anthony, Wiggins, Bennett, Stauskas, Ennis, Nicholson, Sacre, and Nash (still collecting a pay cheque but not playing).

Without research, I believe that is the biggest total yet for Canadians. Looking at the list more closely, that's a lot of part time players and scrubs, not one average NBA regular, stats wise, in the whole list. Of the current group, I think Stauskas and Wiggins could someday be average NBA starters.
                That's because half the guys you listed have either never played a game or just one season lol. And youre definitely selling them short, you think wiggins was drafted ahead of Parker to be an average nba starter? The guy leaps tall buildings ina single bound i think his FLOOR is average nba starter and the sky is the limit (t mac? )

Stauskas started as Amazing spot.up shooter nothing more, and improved insanely at Michigan. Projects as a poor mans Steph curry. How poor remains to be seen.

That's two potential stars which is already enough for a medal, and i believe olynyk, Ennis and bennet all will turn into guys that would either start or come off the bench as the fiest backup in their.position on any nba team.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Great news is NBA league pass is free for first two weeks or something like that ... I watched Wolves game and although I have high hopes for Wiggins , I didn't notice him when he was out there ... He reminds me of McGrady in his first year with the Raptors cause as a fan I saw alot of athleticism but didn't know how that translated to NBA star yet ... Then in his last half of second year and then 3rd year you said wow !!

Comment

• The Cleveland Cavaliers are nearing agreement with Anderson Varejao on a three-year, $30 million extension.

Is there going to be enough cap space to give Tristan what he will want in his next contract ?

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                      The Cleveland Cavaliers are nearing agreement with Anderson Varejao on a three-year, $30 million extension.

Is there going to be enough cap space to give Tristan what he will want in his next contract ?
                      Theres gonna be enough cap space for pretty much everything the next few years.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I believe tonight is the deadline for contract extensions for those on rookie contracts like Thompson. No deal means that he'll be a restricted free agent in July.

Comment

I believe tonight is the deadline for contract extensions for those on rookie contracts like Thompson. No deal means that he'll be a restricted free agent in July.
                          Tristan 12 offensive boards last night ..

Comment

• Tristan Thompson is not getting the credit he deserves in the press from his efforts last night. He was the difference.

Comment

• NBA.com Article on Canada Basketball

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/feature...=iref:nbahpt6c

Not a ton of new stuff but some good perspectives. Worth a read

Comment

• Kelly Olynyk 13 pts 5 boards off to a good start and so has Tristian Thompson ... Andrew Wiggins just getting his feet wet ...

Comment

Working...
                                X