Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

of course i get that argument, but i also get a counter-argument that those guys might not be happy with or receptive to the role they'll be asked to play as end of bench guys.

which i think is a non-issue with nembhard, who i think would and should be part of the rotation.
    Team USA has star players riding the end of the bench.

We need to start thinking like Team USA.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

This is where a select team could be utilized during training camp. Be around the main guys and coaching staff and play the senior team in a couple tube up games.
      Select team would be great too. I'd still want the guys that are established good NBA players and clearly among the 12 best Canadian players in the world to be on the proper mens squad.

There is a lot of Canadian talent in the NCAA to fill out a select squad.

Comment

i agree with this in general and it's why i wouldn't be looking to add a mathurin or sharpe or guys that might think their job is to just come in and gun.

i don't think nembhard is that type of player, and he's at the top of my list of guys i want on this team that didn't play in the world's, aside from murray. he can come in and defend at a high level, play on or off ball, and hit open shots at a decent clip. he's a perfect 8th/9th man along with NAW (with dort and powell (purely for size) ahead of them in the rotation).

i think there's still room for joseph on the last three roster spots, but if the question is joseph or nembhard then i don't understand how it's a question.
        The reality is that if NAW, Dort and Powell are all available they will be the bench. Wiggins is the wild card in all this but not sure he's in a position to dictate to the team so I tend to think he won't be there. You could add any number of other guys but they aren't going to play much, if at all.

Based on worlds, the two biggest issues were 3-pt shooting and depth at the 4/5. Since we cna't fix the latter, I'd be inclined to add the former.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Team USA has star players riding the end of the bench.

We need to start thinking like Team USA.
          well i imagine it's easier for those guys to accept when they see who was left off team USA, but they still made a few executive decisions to prioritize roster balance over just adding the most talent.

and i'm curious to see how it's gonna go with them. like, will edwards come off the bench? and how would he take that? he didn't take it well when kerr wanted to bring him off the bench last summer, and although he's way better now, the olympic team is loaded and i can't see kerr starting him over curry/lebron/durant (davis and embiid would be my guess at the other two spots but maybe they go small and start edwards or kawhi).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The reality is that if NAW, Dort and Powell are all available they will be the bench. Wiggins is the wild card in all this but not sure he's in a position to dictate to the team so I tend to think he won't be there. You could add any number of other guys but they aren't going to play much, if at all.

Based on worlds, the two biggest issues were 3-pt shooting and depth at the 4/5. Since we cna't fix the latter, I'd be inclined to add the former.
            again i basically agree with this but i'm just not as certain as you that NAW would have that 8th spot locked up if nembhard were on the team.

i also assume wiggins won't be playing

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Select team would be great too. I'd still want the guys that are established good NBA players and clearly among the 12 best Canadian players in the world to be on the proper mens squad.

There is a lot of Canadian talent in the NCAA to fill out a select squad.
              Also we have guys like Banton, Prosper, Lawson, Wiggington, Brissett, Houston, Omoruyi, and Miller to bolster a select team.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Edey is a lock to make the team right? he's a big. We need bigs.

Clarke and Sharpe I'm curious about especially Clarke. I think he could really help this team.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                  Edey is a lock to make the team right? he's a big. We need bigs.

Clarke and Sharpe I'm curious about especially Clarke. I think he could really help this team.
                  Clarke would be great. And then there's always NeedTristanThompson
                  Last edited by golden; Tue May 21, 2024, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Things are looking encouraging. Thanks for the Draft Combine clips of Edey.

Comment

• The team has to look at the two losses at the Worlds and even close game against Spain and to see what their weakness were in those games ..

I think with Jamal Murray and Wiggins it will really help with depth in scoring .. With Murray's body issue don't you think he could
                      be better served for Canada and himself to take on the role of being the lead of the second unit ? We will have to look at our
                      Group to see what our the strengths in our opponents ..

Comment

well i imagine it's easier for those guys to accept when they see who was left off team USA, but they still made a few executive decisions to prioritize roster balance over just adding the most talent.

and i'm curious to see how it's gonna go with them. like, will edwards come off the bench? and how would he take that? he didn't take it well when kerr wanted to bring him off the bench last summer, and although he's way better now, the olympic team is loaded and i can't see kerr starting him over curry/lebron/durant (davis and embiid would be my guess at the other two spots but maybe they go small and start edwards or kawhi).
                        I think they have to start Ant. This year is the changing of the guard. My guess is

Curry, Ant, Lebron, KD, Embiid

Comment

• "Drew Nembhard, I believe, is going to be with Team Canada," Pacers head coach Rick Carlisle said after the Eastern Conference Finals.

Carlisle's assertion would confirm a sourced report from Sportsnet's Michael Grange.

Canada Olympic basketball roster tracker: Projected roster
                          Position Player Team
                          G Nickeil Alexander-Walker Timberwolves
                          F RJ Barrett Raptors
                          F Dillon Brooks Rockets
                          G Luguentz Dort Thunder
                          G Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Thunder
                          G Jamal Murray Nuggets
                          G Andrew Nembhard Pacers
                          F Kelly Olynyk Raptors
                          C Dwight Powell Mavericks
                          F Andrew Wiggins Warriors

Comment

• Lyles and Edey would be my last two picks. Actually would like Tristan Thompson over Lyles but that's unlikely.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                              "Drew Nembhard, I believe, is going to be with Team Canada," Pacers head coach Rick Carlisle said after the Eastern Conference Finals.

Carlisle's assertion would confirm a sourced report from Sportsnet's Michael Grange.

Position Player Team
                              F RJ Barrett Raptors
                              F Dillon Brooks Rockets
                              G Luguentz Dort Thunder
                              G Jamal Murray Nuggets
                              G Andrew Nembhard Pacers
                              F Kelly Olynyk Raptors
                              Your... 2027 Toronto Raptors!

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                                "Drew Nembhard, I believe, is going to be with Team Canada," Pacers head coach Rick Carlisle said after the Eastern Conference Finals.

Position Player Team
                                F RJ Barrett Raptors
                                F Dillon Brooks Rockets
                                G Luguentz Dort Thunder
                                G Jamal Murray Nuggets
                                G Andrew Nembhard Pacers
                                F Kelly Olynyk Raptors
                                This is what I was hoping to see. All good NBA talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X