The East is going to be much stronger this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    Can anyone name a single team with a first year coach, that jumped 20 wins, went from no playoffs to top of the conference, by adding one all star player?
    No.. but none of them had just signed the best player in the league and of this generation of players in his prime. Sign me up to be shamed as well if the Cavs implode and finish 8th.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Can anyone name a single team with a first year coach, that jumped 20 wins, went from no playoffs to top of the conference, by adding one all star player?
      Spurs with Popovich and Duncan

*EDIT - they didn't end up as the best team in the conference (ended up 5th best) so I fail.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I knew someone would say that...doesn't count because Robinson was already there and record was a reflection of his injury
        Last edited by thead; Wed Jul 16, 2014, 01:25 PM.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Granted this whole thing falls to shit if they pull a Love like trade.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

*EDIT - they didn't end up as the best team in the conference (ended up 5th best) so I fail.
            And Pop was in his second year while being GM previously and Spurs were injured not terrible they won 59 games the previous year AFAIK.

Comment

It's hard to meet all those conditions, but it's also hard for everyone to remember every jump ever made by a team and factors involved.

The most recent example of something close to this is Chicago, except they made the playoffs....But from 09-10 to 10-11, they went from 41 wins and barely a playoff team to 62 wins and the top of the conference, by adding Carlos Boozer and Tom Thibodeau.

Comment

• If anyone can make it happen it's Lebron...I just see them being two years and trade away from being in the battle for top of the conference.

I think teams like Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Toronto, Washington, and maybe even Charlotte and most of the western conference will
                beat up that all rookie team quite nicely this year.

Comment

The Phoenix Suns in 2004-05 added Steve Nash and went from a 29 win team to a 62 win team with Mike D'Antoni in his first full year as Suns coach.

The Boston Celtics in 1979-80 added Larry Bird and went from 28 wins to 60 wins in Bill Fitch's first year as coach of the Celtics.

The Denver Nuggets in 2003-04 added Carmelo Anthony and went from 17 wins to 43 wins in Jeff Bzdelik's second year as coach of the Nuggets.

Normally I would agree with your premise, except:
                  1. Lebron James isn't just an all star, he's a top 10 player of all time.
                  2. The Cavs have a lot of young players who will undergo natural improvement. Bennett already looks like a completely different (and better) player.
                  3. The Cavs are adding a number 1 pick in Wiggins (who may be flipped for an even more win-now asset in Love).
                  4. The Cavs are going from literally one of the worst coaches in the league to a coach who has been hailed as one of the sport's best. Even if he needs time to adjust to the NBA, Blatt is very smart and has been a winner everywhere he's coached.

Barring injuries I have a very tough time seeing them win less than 45 wins. My guess is 48-49, and if they fire on all cylinders, 53-57.

Comment

• Raps will finish higher than the Cavs.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      The Phoenix Suns in 2004-05 added Steve Nash and went from a 29 win team to a 62 win team with Mike D'Antoni in his first full year as Suns coach.

The Boston Celtics in 1979-80 added Larry Bird and went from 28 wins to 60 wins in Bill Fitch's first year as coach of the Celtics.

The Denver Nuggets in 2003-04 added Carmelo Anthony and went from 17 wins to 43 wins in Jeff Bzdelik's second year as coach of the Nuggets.

Normally I would agree with your premise, except:
                      1. Lebron James isn't just an all star, he's a top 10 player of all time.
                      2. The Cavs have a lot of young players who will undergo natural improvement. Bennett already looks like a completely different (and better) player.
                      3. The Cavs are adding a number 1 pick in Wiggins (who may be flipped for an even more win-now asset in Love).
                      4. The Cavs are going from literally one of the worst coaches in the league to a coach who has been hailed as one of the sport's best. Even if he needs time to adjust to the NBA, Blatt is very smart and has been a winner everywhere he's coached.

Barring injuries I have a very tough time seeing them win less than 45 wins. My guess is 48-49, and if they fire on all cylinders, 53-57.
                      45-49 sound about right which is a huge step for Cleveland since nobody except Varejao knows whats its like to win in the NBA. But I think they will fight for a playoff spot since there are 9 teams that will win just as many and Chicago or Indy will win the division.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        45-49 sound about right which is a huge step for Cleveland since nobody except Varejao knows whats its like to win in the NBA. But I think they will fight for a playoff spot since there are 9 teams that will win just as many and Chicago or Indy will win the division.
                        Not so sure Indy can really compete for the division. Losing Stephenson is huge despite his knuckleheadedness. They don't have a lot of offensive talent in the backcourt, and Stephenson was by far the best guy they had to initiate offence from the perimeter. Scoring was already a problem for the team, and it is likely to just get worse now.

**Oh, and their D might get worse as well...we'll see what CJ Miles brings, but I doubt he's as good as Lance there.

**To have any chance of winning the division, they'll probably need a career season from George Hill across the board.

Think the division is Chicago's if they're healthy enough. And if they're not, then Cleveland really does have a very legit chance to win it.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 16, 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Spoelstra

you could argue they added 2 all stars but i'm arguing the cavs have better talent already than the heat did
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Granted this whole thing falls to shit if they pull a Love like trade.
                            then where will your precious lists be THEN WHAT
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Not so sure Indy can really compete for the division. Losing Stephenson is huge despite his knuckleheadedness. They don't have a lot of offensive talent in the backcourt, and Stephenson was by far the best guy they had to initiate offence from the perimeter. Scoring was already a problem for the team, and it is likely to just get worse now.

**Oh, and their D might get worse as well...we'll see what CJ Miles brings, but I doubt he's as good as Lance there.

**To have any chance of winning the division, they'll probably need a career season from George Hill across the board.

Think the division is Chicago's if they're healthy enough. And if they're not, then Cleveland really does have a very legit chance to win it.
                              Indy is the favorite just because they were #1 and won it last season. Chicago is second and Cleveland can't be given anything based on performance on paper. Indy is weaker but they won 56 games so they get the benefit of the doubt. Most likely Chicago.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                then where will your precious lists be THEN WHAT
                                I've been quite clear that the issue is chemistry not talent. If Cleveland trades for pieces that fit I will gladly do away my list...but until then I think we should just all agree to disagree...and also agree that I'm right

Comment

Working...
                                X