• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +2
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      A lot of discussion in the game threads about how good JJ's defense is. Honestly I just don't see it, sure he occasionally makes a damn nice play when he locks in, but most of the time he is getting lifted on the perimeter and allowing penetration. Or he overhelps and ball watches and fails to track his man.

I just don't see the great defense, he is a poor fundamental team defender.

He has, however, at least been a decent option on the other end so far...
      I do see where you are going here, and I agree to some extent...but Johnson has the ability to recover and still make a play, and that is what sets him apart on our team as a good defender. AS a coach you need to live with one or two boneheaded plays to get the 3 or 4 very good plays, this can be said on both sides of the ball for Johnson. He may take a bad shot or two, but he will also make drive and dish play getting teammates easy scores.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
        I do see where you are going here, and I agree to some extent...but Johnson has the ability to recover and still make a play, and that is what sets him apart on our team as a good defender. AS a coach you need to live with one or two boneheaded plays to get the 3 or 4 very good plays, this can be said on both sides of the ball for Johnson. He may take a bad shot or two, but he will also make drive and dish play getting teammates easy scores.
        Johnson consistently (key word) lets players blow by him, which is forcing help, regardless of his ability to recover, and thats why I dont think he is as great a defender as many think here.

I specifically didnt post anything really relevant after the first few games just to make sure I wasnt talking out my ass. I didnt want to over react to one game...but now it has been several....

Dont get me wrong, he is still one of our best defenders...but I just dont see "the best"

I really like him defensively at PF. A Patterson+JJ bench big man unit would be really good.

Comment

Johnson
          Dont get me wrong, he is still one of our best defenders...but I just dont see "the best"
          Then whats the problem?

Comment

• Trying to temper some perceptions. Ppl are calling for him to be the starter savior jesus christ superstar on defense. The teams issues wont be fixed just by seeing more JJ...especially on the starting lineup.

I also dont see him as a SF at all. I would play him at PF and never let Hansborough see the floor.

Comment

Trying to temper some perceptions. Ppl are calling for him to be the starter savior jesus christ superstar on defense. The teams issues wont be fixed just by seeing more JJ...especially on the starting lineup.

I also dont see him as a SF at all. I would play him at PF and never let Hansborough see the floor.
              Part of me thinks you're just scared JJ will steal the starting SF position away from Ross....

I think JJ is more of a SF than Ross is....Ross appears to be undersized and more suited for the SG position. JJ has the length and strength required to defend SFs. Ross simply isn't strong enough at this point.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                Part of me thinks you're just scared JJ will steal the starting SF position away from Ross....

I think JJ is more of a SF than Ross is....Ross appears to be undersized and more suited for the SG position. JJ has the length and strength required to defend SFs. Ross simply isn't strong enough at this point.
                I dont really see a difference between SF and SG tbh so I'm not worried about that at all. The current NBA runs 3 ball handling wings, a mobile 4 and a center.

To me JJ is an interior guy on offense. And his defense against opposing PF's is insanely good. I just think he is better suited to that position. Doesnt have anything to do with Ross' position and everything to do with playing people to their strengths.

Comment

I dont really see a difference between SF and SG tbh so I'm not worried about that at all. The current NBA runs 3 ball handling wings, a mobile 4 and a center.

To me JJ is an interior guy on offense. And his defense against opposing PF's is insanely good. I just think he is better suited to that position. Doesnt have anything to do with Ross' position and everything to do with playing people to their strengths.
                  JJ falls under that description of ball handling wings. JJ has out played Ross for sure but I do agree that his a great weapon at PF. I would love for the coaching staff to try and mold him into Boris Diaw type of player. As a starter or of the bench doesn't matter. JJ should be seeing no less than 20 minutes a game from now on.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    JJ falls under that description of ball handling wings. JJ has out played Ross for sure but I do agree that his a great weapon at PF. I would love for the coaching staff to try and mold him into Boris Diaw type of player. As a starter or of the bench doesn't matter. JJ should be seeing no less than 20 minutes a game from now on.
                    Yeah I also love the way JJ sees the floor. He makes pretty good passes when he stays under control
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• If Patterson is starting, then I think JJ should start instead of Ross. So far, he has been pretty damn impressive overall IMO. Possible spacing issues are kinda nullified with Patterson's outside capability. Ross just doesn't seem comfortable...maybe he doesn't like to compete for minutes, but he's gotta get it together.

Comment

• James 'the bully' Johnson. Dude really just shoves guys aside on the way to rim. BULLY
                        "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

• buckets wrote: View Post
                          James 'the bully' Johnson. Dude really just shoves guys aside on the way to rim. BULLY
                          Ya, and? You're complaining cause of how the guy scores?

Only in Toronto...

Comment

• buckets wrote: View Post
                            James 'the bully' Johnson. Dude really just shoves guys aside on the way to rim. BULLY
                            Shoving? Did you know there are good bullies and bad bullies? Which do you think he is wearing a Raptors uni?
                            Last edited by Bendit; Thu Nov 6, 2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                              Ya, and? You're complaining cause of how the guy scores?

Only in Toronto...
                              Complaining? I love the way he is playing. Using it as compliment man

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                Shoving? Did you know there are good bullies and bad bullies? Which do you think he is wearing a Raptors uni?
                                I didn't think people would of thought calling him a bully was hating on him hahah his toughness is definitely something the raptors have been missing

Comment

Working...
                                X