Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Raptors fans think we are better than Wizards and Hornets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note if Toronto runs the table on the division they win 24 games. Means going .500 against the rest means 53 wins. Getting to 50 wins shouldn't be difficult.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Note if Toronto runs the table on the division they win 24 games. Means going .500 against the rest means 53 wins. Getting to 50 wins shouldn't be difficult.
      Well, that's not true. You play 4 games against each division rival, 4 games against each of 6 other conference rivals, 3 games against each of the remaining 4 conference rivals, and 2 games against each out-of-conference team.

Sweeping the division would mean 16 wins. Going .500 outside of that means 49 wins.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Well, that's not true. You play 4 games against each division rival, 4 games against each of 6 other conference rivals, 3 games against each of the remaining 4 conference rivals, and 2 games against each out-of-conference team.

Sweeping the division would mean 16 wins. Going .500 outside of that means 49 wins.
        Sorry yeah 16 games in the division. Means .500 outside the division is 49 wins. Being in a weak division means at least 4th and 50 win floor if they play OK. Both Washington and the Hornets will have a much harder time getting to 50

Comment

Sorry yeah 16 games in the division. Means .500 outside the division is 49 wins. Being in a weak division means at least 4th and 50 win floor if they play OK. Both Washington and the Hornets will have a much harder time getting to 50
          Also depends on whether you think of records as the determining factor in who is better. West conference has proven for years that record doesn't really show who's better (when compared to east)
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

And let's be honest, what are the chances that the Raptors go 16-0 against the Atlantic Division next year? A team sweeping their entire division has never happened as far as I know.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
              And let's be honest, what are the chances that the Raptors go 16-0 against the Atlantic Division next year? A team sweeping their entire division has never happened as far as I know.
              Raptors went 11-5 last season with splits between BKN and NYK. Both are worse this season and Celtics and 76ers are as bad or worse. Not predicting a divisional sweep but the other divisions got better while Atlantic got worse with BKN losing Pierce and Livingston. Just saying that Toronto reaching 50+ win isn't a jump while Hornets and Wizards play against each other and in a tough division. If both split the division 8-8 and play .600 outside the division it means 47-48 wins.

Comment

Sweeping the division is asking A LOT. With that much familiarity and that many games it's hard enough to sweep just one of them but to sweep them all....I just don't see it happening.

Comment

The divisions don't really matter guys.

On average a team plays every team in it's own conference, but not in it's division, 3.6 times.

So being in the Atlantic gives the Raptors 1.6 more games against an easy opponent than the Hornets or the Wizards.... not much of an effect
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Each team have to play:

4 games against the other 4 division opponents, [4x4=16 games]

4 games against 6 (out-of-division) conference opponents, [4x6=24 games]

3 games against the remaining 4 conference teams,
                    [3x4=12 games]

2 games against teams in the opposing conference. [2x15=30 games]

16 in division 36 out of division 30 out of conference

The difference when comparing the weakest division to the strongest is a big difference, between Central and Southeast not much. Atlantic could have 4 worst teams in the NBA.

Comment

The difference when comparing the weakest division to the strongest is a big difference, between Central and Southeast not much. Atlantic could have 4 worst teams in the NBA.
                      This could not be more wrong. As I pointed out, the Raptors are only going to play 1.6 games more against the terrible Atlantic division than Washington or Charlotte will.

It's not like the conferences guys, divisions BARELY affect the schedule

edit:

And then, if we assume that the winning percentage of an average team is about .500 higher (which is probably way more than it is in reality) against the Atlantic division than against the rest of the East, playing in the Atlantic division equates to 0.8 wins more per year than playing in the Southeast or Central divisions.

tl;dr playing in the Atlantic division equates to 0.8 wins more per year than playing in the Southeast or Central divisions, and that's using generous assumptions.
                      Last edited by stooley; Wed Aug 6, 2014, 07:39 PM.
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        This could not be more wrong. As I pointed out, the Raptors are only going to play 1.6 games more against the terrible Atlantic division than Washington or Charlotte will.

It's not like the conferences guys, divisions BARELY affect the schedule
                        Chances are Washington and Charlotte draws Toronto to play 4 and 76ers 3 times. Wiz, Heat, Atlanta and Hornets will have to face each other 4 times. Toronto could also draw weaker teams next season like Indy and Miami for 4 games and play Cleveland 3 times.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                          PJ Hairston and Lance wing tandem will be good enough in terms of Spacing issues. Yes, PJ is rookie but be minded dude was playing in the D League last year and was tearing it apart. he is way ahead of other rookies when it comes to adjusting to the game speed and the NBA grind. But if PJ's knucklehead clashes with Lance's knucklehead, then there goes it all for the Hornets. LOL.

i think they will be a drama filled team to watch next season. much more drama than the INDIANA team from last year.
                          Instead of bubbleheads, they'll be handing out brass knuckles. LOL.

Comment

Chances are Washington and Charlotte draws Toronto to play 4 and 76ers 3 times. Wiz, Heat, Atlanta and Hornets will have to face each other 4 times. Toronto could also draw weaker teams next season like Indy and Miami for 4 games and play Cleveland 3 times.
                            Maybe, maybe not.
                            "Bruno?
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Al Jefferson has had better, or at the very least equal statistical seasons compared to what he did last year. It's not like he's come out of nowhere - he's been in the 20 & 10 realm for pretty much the past 8 seasons, the only difference was this past year in Charlotte he was the sole option down low unlike in Utah so he saw a small bump in both points and rebounds.

I find it quite intriguing to see how 'good' players from the Western Conference, such as Tyson Chandler (when he went from the Mavs to the Knicks), Al Jefferson, and Paul Milsap amongst others were able to thrive, and in Chandler's and Milsap's case, were able to become all stars after joining Eastern Conference teams.

Big Al was definitely a terrific player in Utah, but 10 years later, after one year on the 'Horncats', he is starting to receive some more acknowledgement for his talent level. Just goes to show how high the level of competition is in the West.

Heck, if Phoenix were to be an Eastern Conference team, they would be considered one of the best in the conference.
                              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Al Jefferson has had better, or at the very least equal statistical seasons compared to what he did last year. It's not like he's come out of nowhere - he's been in the 20 & 10 realm for pretty much the past 8 seasons, the only difference was this past year in Charlotte he was the sole option down low unlike in Utah so he saw a small bump in both points and rebounds.
                                Looking at Jefferson's Basketball Reference page confuses me greatly. All his offensive percentages went up (TS%, eFG%, USG, etc.), but his offensive rating dropped significantly. That leads to just around 3 WS offensively, and I have to think he was worth more than that last year. If that's up at a number that's more in line with the rest of his career (and I don't see how it's not higher, and by a fair amount), then Jefferson is a full win share above his previous career high. He had a pretty darn good year last year.

I'd say only 2007-2008 comes close, but he had a higher turnover percentage than assist percentage that year. And apparently he was playing lesser defense.

That said, Jefferson has been trending towards the player he became last year for a few years before, so it may be more sustainable than I previously gave credit for.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X