Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bennett and Wiggins future of the 3 and 4 spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    It might not be a seven year plan. Minny is rebuilding and have LaVine and Wiggins both from the same draft year. It isn't inconceivable that Toronto might have better pieces over the next few years that makes a Wiggins trade beneficial for both teams.
    From my reading of news headlines and some articles, the last thing Minnesota front office and owner wants to do is rebuild. They have sucked for a very long time. They are trying to win at all costs.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      From my reading of news headlines and some articles, the last thing Minnesota front office and owner wants to do is rebuild. They have sucked for a very long time. They are trying to win at all costs.
      Bad sign. In the West with that Roster they are a couple of years away from the playoffs. They will be the Pels making dumb trades to become mediocre. At least the Pels have AD.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        Michael Grange has passed Doug Smith for me in bad Raptors reporting.
        That maybe a tad harsh...but he is climbing the ladder with his previous "major" effort at spearheading the pr to get Wince back in uniform here....yechhh.
        Last edited by Bendit; Fri Aug 8, 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

It might not be a seven year plan. Minny is rebuilding and have LaVine and Wiggins both from the same draft year. It isn't inconceivable that Toronto might have better pieces over the next few years that makes a Wiggins trade beneficial for both teams.
          That's even more speculative than signing him outright though. Plus I don't see why if they're rebuilding, they'd wait a couple seasons while their young guys develop and then ship them out as soon as they hit their stride.

Comment

The Raptors never had Nash play for them and he was once a free agent too. Can't really think about Wiggins in Toronto although I do think there is a better chance now that he's in Minny who will always struggle to put a contending team out there. With James/Cavs and a few trophies I can't see why Wiggins would give that up to go "home".

Bennett is a buy low type of player right now.. statistically may have been the worst first round pick ever (although he's only played one year).. some of that was due to injury/etc but still.. He has trimmed down and am looking forward to see how he rebounds this year. But Minny is not giving him up.. he's an asset they acquired from trading Kevin Fricken' Love. Not a guy you give up before he even suits up. Plus they have no depth at PF. So he comes at a position of need. Unless we give up Amir and a future first for him (which is too high of a price considering the Raptors are trying to win). I don't see him coming here in the short term.. as for getting him as a free agent.. well at this point I don't even know if he will be in the league after his rookie contract is up. He needs to earn that. If he does then we can speculate, but then it becomes the Wiggins situation again.

I can't believe Minny got two #1 picks and a future pick for their star who's a year away from becoming a free agent. Colangelo screwed this franchise over by not trading Bosh early.

Comment

Word is they are flipping Bennett for Thad Young, so I wouldn't say they are holding on to him too tightly.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Word is they are flipping Bennett for Thad Young, so I wouldn't say they are holding on to him too tightly.
                Haven't been paying too much attention to what's being written.. okay so it's turning into a 3 team trade then? Minny will most likely have to give up another asset. Young >>> Bennett despite him being a #1 pick. He was awful last year.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Haven't been paying too much attention to what's being written.. okay so it's turning into a 3 team trade then? Minny will most likely have to give up another asset. Young >>> Bennett despite him being a #1 pick. He was awful last year.
                  Rumor was Cleveland would flip the Miami pick + Bennett for Young. Toronto should try to get Bennett , 76ers want the pick not Bennett.

Comment

Rumor was Cleveland would flip the Miami pick + Bennett for Young. Toronto should try to get Bennett , 76ers want the pick not Bennett.
                    I think they will definitely hold on to him, he is a young talent with still a bunch of potential.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                      I think they will definitely hold on to him, he is a young talent with still a bunch of potential.
                      He isn't a pick and is able to play this season. He doesn't fit the 76ers game plan. At least MCW turns the ball over.

Comment

And play Bennett where? In Philly he'll get plenty of minutes on their tankfest. In Toronto, while maybe they could want him and maybe he'd want to play at home, he'd not get minutes. No way he plays over Amir and 2Pat at PF. He's not a natural SF and at best would be fighting JJ for backup minutes there.

Comment

If Philly can squeeze another first round pick in addition to getting Bennett, more power to them.

Bennett is ultimate buy low.

He is far more talented than he showed last season. He had a perfect storm of poor conditioning and injuries leading to a lack of preparation for NBA play.

I don't think he is going to be what one expects from a first overall pick but he shouldn't be a washout either.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            And play Bennett where? In Philly he'll get plenty of minutes on their tankfest. In Toronto, while maybe they could want him and maybe he'd want to play at home, he'd not get minutes. No way he plays over Amir and 2Pat at PF. He's not a natural SF and at best would be fighting JJ for backup minutes there.
                            Bennets #1 pick status is what hurts him. He isn't a starter. Letting him be the first scoring option off the bench causes a ton of mismatches at SF and PF. If 2Pats if used as a stretch 4 on the starting unit, then JJ+Bennett+Amir on the second unit if Amir starts at PF , Bennett plays the 3 with 2Pats and Bebe. Lou Will does the same against guards.

Comment

Bennets #1 pick status is what hurts him. He isn't a starter. Letting him be the first scoring option off the bench causes a ton of mismatches at SF and PF. If 2Pats if used as a stretch 4 on the starting unit, then JJ+Bennett+Amir on the second unit if Amir starts at PF , Bennett plays the 3 with 2Pats and Bebe. Lou Will does the same against guards.
                              You're forgetting we have a defensive coach, in addition to having ample scoring off the bench. So how will Bennett earn minutes under Casey? It's not like we're desperate for a scorer off the bench. And unless JJ loses his shit, Bennett will never play over him. He'd basically get Steve Novak type minutes.

I mean, if he costs very little...fine. There's obviously no harm on the Raps putting him in that situation and seeing if he can break out. But that low cost seems unlikely (Philly does want him, as they want to stockpile youth on top of tanking for another year or two), and thus it doesn't seem to make sense to make a deal to get a guy who they don't seem to have space to develop.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                You're forgetting we have a defensive coach, in addition to having ample scoring off the bench. So how will Bennett earn minutes under Casey? It's not like we're desperate for a scorer off the bench. And unless JJ loses his shit, Bennett will never play over him. He'd basically get Steve Novak type minutes.

I mean, if he costs very little...fine. There's obviously no harm on the Raps putting him in that situation and seeing if he can break out. But that low cost seems unlikely (Philly does want him, as they want to stockpile youth on top of tanking for another year or two), and thus it doesn't seem to make sense to make a deal to get a guy who they don't seem to have space to develop.
                                Our bench scoring is the reason we got Lou Will. Bennett replaces PsychoT as the energy big. His ability to grab offensive rebounds against slower PF and smaller SF on a three point shooting second unit helps alot. He is the tweener between JJ and 2Pats. Able to play both but worse defensively than either.

Comment

Working...
                                X