JV comparable big man production in the modern NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
    I hate the PER 36 stat. It is so irrelevant and so misleading.
    Even if we aren't looking at PER 36 numbers, his raw stats show improvement from last year.

Again, more points, more blocks, BETTER FG%!!!!, and at par with his rebounding. All in less minutes.
    OG is our king

Comment

It's irrelevant if you play few minutes, like less than 20.
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

happy for you, but it isn't misleading. Like any stat, you need to view it in the proper context.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          While taking less shots at that.

The fact this guy can't get 30 minutes a night blows my mind.
          Can't, or isn't?

We all know what needs to be done.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• His defense still mostly blows (though he isn't the only one)

There does seem something crazy that he played less minutes this year than last year.

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
              His defense still mostly blows (though he isn't the only one)

There does seem something crazy that he played less minutes this year than last year.
              I think "blows" is a bit harsh, due to his position (rim protector) on a team with awful perimeter defence on the dribble. The scheme of help heavy also puts him in a hard position since he often has to close out on 3 point shooters in the corner.

Honestly, I'm happy with JVs defence so far. A 22 year old learning to play C, I think he's doing as well as can be expected.

Comment

• Interesting rim protection stats to play around with: http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Interesting rim protection stats to play around with: http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
                  Wow Kanter is an atrocious rim protector
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Totally crazy, especially considering he was our best player according to BR. Led the team in PER and WS for the season.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Wow Kanter is an atrocious rim protector
                      Defender in general. Dude is totally a 1-way player.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        I think "blows" is a bit harsh, due to his position (rim protector) on a team with awful perimeter defence on the dribble. The scheme of help heavy also puts him in a hard position since he often has to close out on 3 point shooters in the corner.

Honestly, I'm happy with JVs defence so far. A 22 year old learning to play C, I think he's doing as well as can be expected.
                        But the point is that defense is really important when you are a center. Being an offensive center is nice and fun but the way game seems to be going, you want defense first at that spot.

I think his defense has been pretty disappointing overall and is clearly the reason that Casey doesn't fully trust him. Regardless of what you think about that, if he was a top defensive big, he would be playing

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                          Totally crazy, especially considering he was our best player according to BR. Led the team in PER and WS for the season.
                          I do think the advanced stats overrate his play this season but yes he's done well enough to deserve more opportunity.

Comment

But the point is that defense is really important when you are a center...I think his defense has been pretty disappointing overall and is clearly the reason that Casey doesn't fully trust him...
                            As has been pointed out numerous times, His poor defense is significantly a result of how he is being used in Casey's defensive system. Casey suggests Tyson Chandler couldn't operate well in Casey's system. If Casey doesn't trust JV, it's because Casey hasn't designed a defensive system that can operate with a "stay at home big." JV does pretty well D'ing up one-on-one. He could probably step out closer to the 3 pt line to guard his man, but guards would have to keep their checks out of the paint. And that is not likely to happen. What kind of Defensive Scheme would operate well with the personnel that Casey has? I don't know...but then neither does Casey, obviously.

Comment

But the point is that defense is really important when you are a center. Being an offensive center is nice and fun but the way game seems to be going, you want defense first at that spot.

I think his defense has been pretty disappointing overall and is clearly the reason that Casey doesn't fully trust him. Regardless of what you think about that, if he was a top defensive big, he would be playing
                              If he was a top defensive big, and just 22, he'd be Anthony Davis. Unrealistic expectations. You can't blame a guy for not being elite at one aspect of his game, when he is developing nicely along an All-Star trajectory in other aspects, despite inconsistent minutes and touches.

If JV has been a disappointment, then I'd say your expectations were whack (or it's Casey's fault).

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                                As has been pointed out numerous times, His poor defense is significantly a result of how he is being used in Casey's defensive system. Casey suggests Tyson Chandler couldn't operate well in Casey's system. If Casey doesn't trust JV, it's because Casey hasn't designed a defensive system that can operate with a "stay at home big." JV does pretty well D'ing up one-on-one. He could probably step out closer to the 3 pt line to guard his man, but guards would have to keep their checks out of the paint. And that is not likely to happen. What kind of Defensive Scheme would operate well with the personnel that Casey has? I don't know...but then neither does Casey, obviously.
                                When he said the bolded bit, I almost lost my shit. What kind of coach are you, that if you're gifted a player like Tyson Chandler or JV, you don't attempt to adjust your system to accommodate them? Absolutely ridiculous. I understand his system is predicated on help defense, and therefore one needs to be mobile, but then you bossed around by other teams who just decide to go Small. Its a BAD system... as has been pointed out multiple times.. Haha

Comment

Working...
                                X