Preseason and Training Camp 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chico wrote: View Post
    Not the least bit concerned, nor do I understand why anybody should be.

1. Why would that schedule write-off a day or two more than going the day sooner, or a week later. If travel creates write-off, it will any time.
    2. The coaches, who know about both running an NBA camp, and the obstacles of traveling to the west coast, know well in advance what the schedule is and will plan the workouts and training around it.
    3. The coaches likely had some say in the schedule to begin with, so are just fine with it
    4. Maybe the coaches even have a specific plan that makes sense to be in Toronto on that first day of camp, even though unofficial camp will have started weeks before hand.

Nothing to fret about.
    Training camp is often considered the best time to get real work in between coaches and players.

The current plan means that if they practice hard the first day, they then fly out on legs that are relatively out of shape and tired, and flying is bad for tired legs (tired anything really).

I'm not saying it's the difference between success or failure on the season, but it doesn't seem ideal. Seems at least possible that the coaches might be playing catchup right off the bat if they're struggling to implement things as quickly as hoped because guys are somewhat exhausted.

Again, could've even been much simpler just by traveling immediately after media commitments on media day. Legs wouldn't be tired yet. On top of that I'd rather have guys riding first day adrenaline after flying out, rather than using it up before flying out.

Yes, I am just nitpicking, doesn't mean that what I'm saying should be completely dismissed. Coaches themselves have been quoted as saying things like they wish camp was longer and preseason schedule shorter to get more high quality practice time in. So I'd prefer the training camp schedule accommodate trying to get the most good practice in for the team.

The biggest thing working in the Raps' favour for avoiding any setbacks due to the weird schedule is probably continuity, so it's not like camp is a "start from scratch" instance.

***And to go over your points one at a time.

1. Travel always creates a "write-off" possibility....it does during the season. How many times do coaches complain about lack of time to practice because of the busy, travel-filled schedule? So why risk wasting days as write-offs at the only time when the team decides the schedule for itself?

2. and 3. Coaches will do their best to plan around the travel, but their input is probably limited. Of course they can structure the camp days basically however they want. But where they go and when they travel is probably largely out of their hands. After all, the biggest reason they get sent to places is to help their brand in different markets. I mean, even if they did want to travel somewhere for "bonding" and such, they'd probably want to limit travel and distractions.

4. Unofficial camp is pretty much undisciplined, and coaches are literally not allowed to run team practices or implement any of their stuff. It's basically somewhat supervised pick up games and individual workouts.

***I also realize it is possible this was a collective decision, where maybe they figured their legs would be kind of dead for the 2nd day anyway, so maybe try and get a harder 1st day in, and then do light activity after traveling. I still think it wouldn't be bad to not have to deal with the travel factor at all in the middle of camp.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Sep 20, 2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
      Team 1
      Vasquez
      DeRozan
      JJ
      Amir
      Steimsma
      Bench- Caboclo, Hansbrough

Team 2
      Lowry
      Williams
      Ross
      Patterson
      Jonas
      Bench- Fields, Hayes
      The compositions are intriguing but, Kyle & DeMar are like chocolate & peanut butter. Meaning, they're virtually inseperable. I'd like to see whether Williams-Vasquez can re-create a similar chemistry for the second unit. Terrence & DeRozan going @ each other would also produce a lot of hilights too. JJ (Denzel) vs. Bruno (Ethan Hawke)? Damn. Training Day Part 2

Comment

All In, boys?

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

All In, boys?
          Sick. How come I don't see Dwane Casey or any of the assistant coaches though
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
            Sick. How come I don't see Dwane Casey or any of the assistant coaches though
            There's another pic of Dwayne on Instagram at the event. Maybe it's that you can't really tell who anyone is in the pic?
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              There's another pic of Dwayne on Instagram at the event. Maybe it's that you can't really tell who anyone is in the pic?
              Yea that's probably it. On whose instagram did you see the pic of Casey?
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

anybody notice john townsend is no longer raptors shooting coach

GLF wrote: View Post
                Yea that's probably it. On whose instagram did you see the pic of Casey?
                any idea who is replacing him?

Comment

cdxv3 wrote: View Post
                  any idea who is replacing him?
                  How do you know he's no longer Raps shooting coach?

Comment

LinkedIn, not Director of Player Development and Shooting Coach for the Grizz

Comment

sorry, now at the Grizz

Comment

Comment

Concerned by that injury stat going into this year.. law of averages might play a role. I know we have Alex but DD and JV both played in the Worlds.. Amir didn't have his surgery and Lowry is one year older.

Comment

Preseason starts next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 days until Raps vs Kings.

asdkjasdklja;sldkja;skdj

Comment

Hope no one gets hurt this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X