Media Day???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    You're reading way too much into it. Nothing about how he says it implies "we need Ross more than JV". It can be looked at as "we need Ross to make a leap more than we need it from JV".

JV was already more consistent than Ross last year, and we don't have a hole at his spot. Ross still needs to prove himself consistent enough, and a nice bump in production would be a bonus, to fill that gap at the wing. And the fact that he's a 2-way guy means that if he can do that, he'll fill that hole nicely and better than anyone else on the roster can. We have better depth, but JJ is a D-first player, and Lou an O-first player. DeMar and Greivis are similarly more offence-oriented players. Lowry is really our only other perimeter guy with a legit 2-way rep. So Ross' improvement, especially with consistency, would fill an area that is far more obviously lacking, and that complements the players on the team.

But thinking of what the team needs to become a better playoff team, perhaps nothing is more obvious as a choice than JV improving in the post. Arguably our biggest problem last season was that in the playoffs, it was really easy for BKL to focus their D on Lowry and DeMar. Ross' development probably wouldn't change that dynamic nearly as much as Jonas becoming a better post scorer would. Lowry even talked about that in one of his interviews...how they need JV to be better down low so that they can play inside-out ball and become a lot harder for teams to plan against.
    Exactly.

JV is already much farther along in his development. He doesn't need a big leap because he is essentially already there. As has already been discussed in another thread, JV is in pretty rare company for his development thus far. He is unlikely to become a superstar but an all-star is not out of the question and he fills the hardest position to acquire in basketball.

Comment

Maybe im the only one that thinks this but, I always thought that JV and Ross were pretty much on par. Neither really thought one was a head of the other.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        Couple of things leaped out at me. Both Greivis and Williams mentioned coming into camp 100% healthy this year. I think Vasquez said it was a first for him. That could be a significant factor in terms of gettign off on the right foot for both of them. I know what it is like to be less than 100% at the start of the season. You play catch-up for 3-4 months.

Ross mentioned that his main focus was working on improving his decision making. I don't know how you do that, but he has improved, that will be a significant improvement all by itself, forgetting the 15 pounds he said he added, while improving his speed.

Maybe even more important, JV worked with a football running coach to improve his running speed and efficiency, so is faster at the same time he has more energy in games.

That is four things that I hope are accurate, because each of them will be a big help.
        I heard when Greivis said he feels 100% going into training camp but where did you hear Lou Williams say that? I must have missed it
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
          I heard when Greivis said he feels 100% going into training camp but where did you hear Lou Williams say that? I must have missed it
          Now that you mention it, it might have been in the article on him in the TO Star. He clearly stated that this is the first time he finally feels 100% after his ACL surgery.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            The thing that really stands out as being different from past years is that there is no real "controversies" in regards to positions, starters, competitions, anything. Pretty sure our starting 5 is set in stone, and the bench guys know that. Everyone has their role, and accepts it 100%. LOVE that.
            On this front, the only "concern" for me is finding enough minutes to keep both Vasquez and Lou happy.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Maybe im the only one that thinks this but, I always thought that JV and Ross were pretty much on par. Neither really thought one was a head of the other.
              Yeah, I think you might be the only one who thinks that. JV posted a 15.6 PER and .127 WS/48 in his rookie year, and a 16.1 PER and .141 WS/48 his sophomore year. Ross posted a 10.4 PER and .034 WS/48 his rookie year, and a 12 PER and .094 WS/48 his sophomore year. JV had a combined -3.1 APM his rookie year (-4.9 offensive, +1.8 defensive) and a combined -3.4 his sophomore year (-3.8 Off, +0.4 Def). Ross had a combined -8.5 APM his rookie year (-3.5 Off, -5 Def) and a combined -3.0 his sophomore year (+0.4 Off, -3.4 Def).

In terms of team impact, they were close this past year, but they weren't before that, and in terms of individual contributions JV is miles ahead of Ross.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I think you might be the only one who thinks that. JV posted a 15.6 PER and .127 WS/48 in his rookie year, and a 16.1 PER and .141 WS/48 his sophomore year. Ross posted a 10.4 PER and .034 WS/48 his rookie year, and a 12 PER and .094 WS/48 his sophomore year. JV had a combined -3.1 APM his rookie year (-4.9 offensive, +1.8 defensive) and a combined -3.4 his sophomore year (-3.8 Off, +0.4 Def). Ross had a combined -8.5 APM his rookie year (-3.5 Off, -5 Def) and a combined -3.0 his sophomore year (+0.4 Off, -3.4 Def).

In terms of team impact, they were close this past year, but they weren't before that, and in terms of individual contributions JV is miles ahead of Ross.
                Bring up great points. The fact that JV(like DeRozan) has started every game in his career and Ross has only been starting 3/4 of a season. Puts Ross behind number wise. From when they started together I'm sure the numbers reflect how evenly match they are in term of impact.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  On this front, the only "concern" for me is finding enough minutes to keep both Vasquez and Lou happy.
                  Ya I was thinking this as well, but then remembered Caseys penchant for small ball ... Vasquez at the 3?

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Bring up great points. The fact that JV(like DeRozan) has started every game in his career and Ross has only been starting 3/4 of a season. Puts Ross behind number wise. From when they started together I'm sure the numbers reflect how evenly match they are in term of impact.
                    Starting though won't impact those numbers - the impact numbers are isolated from the teammates they play with (that's the whole point) and per minute or per possessions stats won't be impacted by limited minutes. And Ross played most of last season as a starter logging significant minutes, and you can see his individual numbers improved, but nowhere near JV's.

I like Ross and think he'll be a key piece going forward, but he has NOT been at the same level or same trajectory as JV in their first two years. It would be great if Ross could make the leap up to where JV is now.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      Ya I was thinking this as well, but then remembered Caseys penchant for small ball ... Vasquez at the 3?
                      I think we'll see a lot of DD at the 3 for this reason - there's just not enough SG minutes for DD's usual 36, then GV and Lou. I have to think GV has his minutes cut a bit (so he mostly mans the 1, less GV-Lowry combo), Williams sees under 20 MPG, and DD shifts to SF for 12 minutes a game. That means with Ross' 28 MPG or so at SF, there's only 8 minutes for JJ there, so he slides to PF for a few minutes a game at least (can't see him under 12 MPG), meaning less time at PF for Amir, so he sees the backup C minutes.

Going to be a delicate balancing act to be sure.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        I think we'll see a lot of DD at the 3 for this reason - there's just not enough SG minutes for DD's usual 36, then GV and Lou. I have to think GV has his minutes cut a bit (so he mostly mans the 1, less GV-Lowry combo), Williams sees under 20 MPG, and DD shifts to SF for 12 minutes a game. That means with Ross' 28 MPG or so at SF, there's only 8 minutes for JJ there, so he slides to PF for a few minutes a game at least (can't see him under 12 MPG), meaning less time at PF for Amir, so he sees the backup C minutes.

Going to be a delicate balancing act to be sure.
                        Less minutes for Amir could be a blessing in disguise.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Less minutes for Amir could be a blessing in disguise.
                          To a degree, sure. But he drives a lot of the defense and winning on this team - got to play him. Can't be seeing 20 MPG.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            To a degree, sure. But he drives a lot of the defense and winning on this team - got to play him. Can't be seeing 20 MPG.
                            Agreed. But I meant in terms of keeping his wobbly ankles healthy.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Now that you mention it, it might have been in the article on him in the TO Star. He clearly stated that this is the first time he finally feels 100% after his ACL surgery.
                              Oooo I didn't read that. Well that's good to hear.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Seems like the worry beads are being given a workout re playtime for a few players. Nice problem to have I say. But aren't we discounting that the trade deadline (or even before) may solve some of these issues? MU as he is wont to do will be evaluating the team with it's additions and probably be making some decisions on best fits, play time, cap flexibility, draft pick acq. etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X