We're not there yet; what do we need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey wrote: View Post
    Just because we lost this one doesn't mean we're not capable of beating Top Tier Teams.

I think we're perfectly capable, when we are playing our game, and have everyone firing on the same page.
    I just think this team runs too many isolation sets and DD is the main reason for it. Casey also saying he has no post option on this team is also less than ideal and crushing for JV (even if it's true).

That style won't work in the play offs.

Also, where is the ball movement from last year??
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

Tell me exactly what is wrong with Greg Monroe....
      No Raptor fan likes this guy, but he's putting way better stats than most people think

Comment

"what do we need?"

Simple answer: more than 9 games of a 82 game schedule. There's along way to go, and 7-2 isn't the end of the world.

Interesting though that DeMar is getting shit on all over the place for a SG's 3/17 game against the Bulls, while so many drool over Horford, who had a 3/13 game against the effing Knicks. and 4/10 with 4 RBs against the vaunted Jazz. Neither game defines the player, but Horford hardly seems like the player of 2 years ago at this point.

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
          "what do we need?"

Simple answer: more than 9 games of a 82 game schedule. There's along way to go, and 7-2 isn't the end of the world.

Interesting though that DeMar is getting shit on all over the place for a SG's 3/17 game against the Bulls, while so many drool over Horford, who had a 3/13 game against the effing Knicks. and 4/10 with 4 RBs against the vaunted Jazz. Neither game defines the player, but Horford hardly seems like the player of 2 years ago at this point.
          We don't need to wait longer to realize that this roster needs an offensive upgrade in the front court. Neither Amir or Jonas can turn into Pau Gasol during the coming months. This was an issue raised last year too. No further evaluation is needed. It's simply an identified weakness of the roster.

As for Horford, yeah, he hasn't been playing too well, but he gets a pass due to his broken tit.
          Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Nov 14, 2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
            Tell me exactly what is wrong with Greg Monroe....
            No Raptor fan likes this guy, but he's putting way better stats than most people think
            Because he's not been a good enough C or PF defensively. It's mostly for reasons on that side of the court that many of us are skeptical about the net impact of his addition. He's just an awkward fit in the league as it is today. He's kind of a living relic. He'd be a great PF for 15-20 years ago.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              I just think this team runs too many isolation sets and DD is the main reason for it. Casey also saying he has no post option on this team is also less than ideal and crushing for JV (even if it's true).

That style won't work in the play offs.

Also, where is the ball movement from last year??
              Don't disagree. So the team as constructed is fine. Just how they play needs an adjustment.

Comment

"what do we need?"

Yes DD for Horford would be a bad trade there is a big age difference and a history of injury with al.

Comment

Same weakness as last year, the post. JV needs someone to tutor him and back him up not named Chuck Hayes. A guy like Al Horford would be perfect but if we could get a good PF like Derrick Favors somehow or even a vet like David West (If Indiana tanks) and then move Amir to backup C we'd be laughing. Masai's got Hayes and Fields coming off the books plus he can throw in say a Handsbro to give us some options. Hopefully the right situation presents itself..

Comment

We can't punish teams for going small. That's a big issue.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

In terms of differences between the Bulls and Raps....the Bulls mentally truly think of themselves as title contenders...anyone thinking the Raps do/are would be delusional. Even though early in the season the Bulls wanted to put an end to all the talk they were hearing about being mentioned in the same tones. Nothing wrong with thi....I dont think Masai or anyone having an unbiased comparison of the 2 rosters would truly put both teams on equal footing.

Now this is not to say that on any given night during the season the Raptors are incapable of beating this Bulls team or any other top tier team (we did so last year). The true measure should really me a playoff series...and I shall just use DD as an example here....what he was faced with will occur every game and shall only change when he & the coaching/team adjusts. Post play and rim protection are other elements needed which the Bulls also have. Yes, we have another 73 games to go but so do the Bulls and the Cavs (I fear the Bulls more). The trade deadline period will be a good time to have further reflection on whether we can truly be held to par with the other 2 mentioned in the East....injuries excluded of course.

One last point, while Casey is a good communicator with his team (in terms of roles and expectations) and the media, I have doubts that he can be coach of a championship team. But what do I know?

Comment

"what do we need?"

Agreed that 9 games is obviously a very small sample size, but the early results are not encouraging. We have beat up on lottery teams (at times, playing like shit and barely pulling out the W) and have lost to the 2 best teams that we have faced so far. Miami is better than a Beal-less Wizards squad.

In his last 2 games, Demar is shooting 7/32 or just under 22%. So far this season, he has had a 4/16 game, 4/12, 9/25 and his 2 most recent doozies at 4/15 and 3/17. The worst part is that he has been so awful on defense. So far this season, the guy just doesn't seem to get it. His pre and post game comments are annoying as shit. Just filled with "Im gonna keep playing my game" "Nah, nothing's gonna change" "It just happens". It's like he doesn't even realize what things he needs to work on or cut out of his game entirely.

Comment

What needs to change? Demar derozan. His head can't even fit through the door anymore because he played 8 minutes a game on a team usa b team.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

An interesting scenario would be Masai going back to Denver to grab McGee or Mozgov if the Nugs are dead in the water come the deadline..

Comment

"what do we need?"

On any other team, this would be valid statement, but this group was together last year and was specifically signed in the off-season to stay together and grow together. Including the coach. We know a lot about their strengths, weaknesses and tendencies to a least have some opinions on that. It's not simply based on a 9 game sample size.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                We can't punish teams for going small. That's a big issue.
                                And when we can, DC doesn't run plays to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X