The Raptors and the 2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centres

Continuing our look at draft prospects. Most info from Draftexpress.

Robert Upshaw, 28, C
    Cliff Alexander, 29, PF/C
    Dakari Johnson, 31, C

Robert Upshaw, C, 21 years old, 30th in DX Top 100
    Measurements: 7'0", 258 lbs, 7'6" wingspan, no max vert data
    Scouting report:
    Athleticism: Terrific length and mobility for a C. Not a freakish jumper, but solid, and is quick up and down the floor. Very strong.
    Offence: Tremendous finisher close to the basket, hitting 75% of his attempts at the rim - gets up quick and high, hard for anyone to bother him close in. Post game is not great - can back down almost anyone, but he's got one move (main hand hook shot) and zero counters or off-hand moves. Also seems physically incapable of passing the ball, generating 1 assist for every 53 minutes of court time. Also completely useless if he's more than 3 feet from the rim - no jumper, 43% free throw shooter (which is a shame since he gets to the line a lot).
    Defence: Incredible rim protector. Opposing teams shot only 38% in the lane with him on the court - 50% when he sat. He blocks 7 shots per 40 - by far the best in college basketball. His defence needs work outside the paint, as even with his decent quickness, he tends to get a little lost and confused about where to be on perimeter coverages, though that could improve with experience. Very good post defender as well - tends to give ground a bit when being backed down, but not for lack of strength - he lets opponents get close, as he can contest the shot effectively with his length. Tremendous rebounder, one of the top nation wide overall rebounders. And doesn't do it with energy or motor like many rebounders - he is just huge, long and strong and opponents just can't get to rebounds with him around.
    Other: One red flag is that he was kicked off of two different college teams in the past few years. There seems to be an attitude issue or other off-court issues, as when on the court he's led his teams to top defences and great records (both of which dropped off dramatically once he was dismissed).

Cliff Alexander, PF/C, 19 years old, 46th in DX Top 100
    Measurements: 6'9", 239 lbs, 7'4" wingspan, no max vert data
    Scouting report:
    Athleticism: Very mobile for a C, if quite short. Very strong. Doesn't get off the floor well.
    Offence: Almost a non-existent offensive game. Scores predominantly off of offensive rebounds or cuts into the paint. Is a decent option in the PnR, sets hard screens and can finish well if he gets close enough to the basket. Improved his FT% to 67%, a not-terrible number, and has shown flashes of a mid-range game, but with no consistency yet, though his form is very good so there is potential there. Very good offensive rebounder. Weak post game - he bullied players in high school, but struggled against bigger college players, which does not bode well for the NBA. His fundamentals, footwork and post moves are all sub par, leading to terrible percentages in the post, and a lot of turnovers. Another terrible passer, generating an assist for every 41 minutes played.
    Defence: Performs well here due to his strength and defensive instincts, blocking shots in the paint and using his mobility well on the perimeter. But overall his fundamentals are very poor and could be exploited by NBA offences, as he gets lost a lot and has trouble in PnR coverage. Commits a lot of fouls and bites on fakes.
    Other: Another guy with a limited sample, as he was ruled ineligible midway through the season, though for him there aren't the character questions - it was one of those ridiculous NCAA rules, his mother took out a loan against his potential earnings in the NBA, which apparently is not allowed. Should be noted he was considered one of the top players in the country coming out of high school.

Dakari Johnson, C, 19 years old, 47th in DX Top 100
    Measurements: 7'0", 265 lbs, 7'2" wingspan, 25" max vert
    Scouting report:
    Athleticism: Slow-footed big. Compared to Aaron Gray. Very strong, but can't get off the ground much. Body fat seems a little high (has grown from 10% to 15% over the past year).
    Offence: Not much of a scouting report on him. Just the basics: very little usage (4 shots per game). Poor percentage for a C (50%). Poor but not terrible FT shooter (63%). OK offensive rebounder.
    Defence: Not a huge presence - although again his low minutes play a role here (16 MPG). Only 3 defensive rebounds and a block per game, which is OK, considering his minutes, but not standout by any stretch.
    Other: Yeah, no scouting report on DX, not much data due to his limited minutes, and frankly as soon as I read the name Aaron Gray I had zero interest.

Yeesh. Not much of a crop here. Upshaw seems the only one worth even looking at, and he's a huge risk with all the off-court stuff, let alone his complete inability to make a jump shot or free throw. I'll keep him as a candidate, but he'll be at the bottom of the list for me. Especially when you consider we have a C prospect on the roster, and a very young starting C already, unless a C prospect is a can't miss (say, the guys at the top of the draft), hard to justify bringing another in.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Love the write ups Dan! Thanks a Lot!

I like Wood for the pick cause I think he has the best upside of any prospect that will be available.

Comment

• Big Board at 20

So after culling the field, my picks are, in order of the amalgamated mock draft placement:

Devin Booker, 15, SG
        Jerian Grant, 16, PG
        Kevon Looney, 18, PF
        Cameron Payne, 20, PG
        Montrezl Harrell, 21, PF
        Christian Wood, 22, PF
        R.J. Hunter, 23, SG
        Justin Anderson, 26, SF
        Robert Upshaw, 28, C
        George Lucas Alves de Paula, 30, PG
        Rashad Vaughn, 30, SG

My top hopes would be Lucas, Wood, and Anderson. Back ups being Harrell, Payne, and Booker.

Looking at that list, and assuming the top 14 I left out at the start go in the top 19 picks as I assumed, that leaves 5 of those guys gone by 20, which should leave at least one of the six guys I listed available.

So that's my big board. I imagine yours differ, but I hope this exercise at least provided a jumping off point for more in depth discussion of that 20 pick.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I just read this on ESPN by Chad Ford today:

Kaba was the big surprise in workouts over the weekend. He drew a ton of buzz from scouts -- by far the most of any guy I saw. Very few in the gym had ever seen him play, but they came away impressed.
          For those who aren't familiar with Kaba, he's an 18-year-old, 6-foot-10 big man from France with a 7-foot-3 wingspan who had scouts whispering "Clint Capela" to each other. He's big, super long and moves well for a player his size. He can play the pick-and-pop game, and his shot looked very solid in the workouts.

However, he's the definition of raw. He's extremely foul prone. He played in just eight games for Pau-Orthez in France this season, averaging four minutes per game. But he averaged 13 PPG and 8 RPG in the European Under-18 championships last year, and in a draft where there are few international players worth taking a risk on in the late first or early second round, Kaba is definitely good a draft-and-stash type of prospect.

The word among scouts is that Kaba is willing to stay in the draft if he can get a promise from a team.

"He's going to get one," one NBA scout told me after the workout. "He's the perfect draft-and-stash pick. Lots of upside there if he continues to develop in Europe. He'll end up going in the late first or somewhere early in the second round."

Sound familiar?

Ford also says that Vaughn is looking really good in workouts. He is in great condition and is hitting a lot of his shots. Apparently Looney had an injury which prevented him from training prior to the season so this explains his lack of conditioning and flexibility for the season.
          Last edited by DogeLover1234; Tue May 26, 2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            So after culling the field, my picks are, in order of the amalgamated mock draft placement:

Devin Booker, 15, SG
            Jerian Grant, 16, PG
            Kevon Looney, 18, PF
            Cameron Payne, 20, PG
            Montrezl Harrell, 21, PF
            Christian Wood, 22, PF
            R.J. Hunter, 23, SG
            Justin Anderson, 26, SF
            Robert Upshaw, 28, C
            Rashad Vaughn, 30, SG

My top hopes would be Lucas, Wood, and Anderson. Back ups being Harrell, Payne, and Booker.

Looking at that list, and assuming the top 14 I left out at the start go in the top 19 picks as I assumed, that leaves 5 of those guys gone by 20, which should leave at least one of the six guys I listed available.

So that's my big board. I imagine yours differ, but I hope this exercise at least provided a jumping off point for more in depth discussion of that 20 pick.
            great stuff Dan, I agree with your board, chances of Booker, Grant & Looney available are low. I initially wanted Harell as my top choice but the tweener size is a big concern although i'd still take him just cause he's someone ready to contribute now, #1 choice though is the potential that Wood holds and he's developing at an advanced rate. at only 19 he could be the steal of the draft with a couple years of NBA development and once he grows into his frame, plus just the thought of Bruno & Wood on the floor at the same time (if they both develop to their potential) is too intriguing to pass. June 25 cannot come fast enough.

Comment

• Only read this guy's chat because it was posted in the DeMar thread and while he didn't say anything specific about Upshaw's history it didn't sound comforting.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...e-kyler-52615/

There is some really crazy stuff coming out about Upshaw that might make him undraftable. I am not going to be the one to put it out there, but I am sure at some point his complete story will get out and some of it, if true, is a little messed up.
              Based on what I have heard after the Combine, there is no scenario in which I’d consider him.....there is stuff about him that would seriously steer me clear
              To me that sounds like it's a little more serious than smoking some weed. Though it is all rumours so who knows.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Kaba is 19.5 years old, I believe.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                  Only read this guy's chat because it was posted in the DeMar thread and while he didn't say anything specific about Upshaw's history it didn't sound comforting.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...e-kyler-52615/

To me that sounds like it's a little more serious than smoking some weed. Though it is all rumours so who knows.
                  Geezus ... wonder what the hell he did?!

Comment

• And from Chad Ford's latest chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Re: Upshaw

But the off-the-court issues are serious. More serious than teams initially thought. Everyone is pulling for him to get his life turned around, but I think there are some serious reservations from NBA teams about drafting him in the first round.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Well done DanH. My top hopes would be Grant, Harrel, or Anderson. As far as backups are concerned I wouldn't really be mad at anyone outside of RJ Hunter (what defense?) and Upshaw (too problematic).

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Devin Booker, 15, SG
                        Jerian Grant, 16, PG
                        Kevon Looney, 18, PF
                        Cameron Payne, 20, PG
                        Montrezl Harrell, 21, PF
                        Christian Wood, 22, PF
                        R.J. Hunter, 23, SG
                        Justin Anderson, 26, SF
                        Robert Upshaw, 28, C
                        Rashad Vaughn, 30, SG

hold on am i reading this right? you'd take Lucas at #20 over Booker?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• what do people think of Looney as a 3?
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I don't think Looney has the speed or stamina to play the 3.

And Booker looks like a low ceiling prospect, but he's right there in my top 6, and I'd be fine with any of them depending on how they fit with Masai's long term plans.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• That said, yes, I skew to defensive players who can learn offence, rather than the other way around. So Booker loses points for me in that category.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Really eh? huh. i really like Booker. he's an efficient, lights out shooter who's got good size and is still really young. see's the court very well and isn't completely useless on D. if he was there at #20 i'd be all over that.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X