No announcement yet.

A Slightly Premature Conversation About Resigning Lou Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amir is still the defensive pillar for this team. The defense has not been great and that's mainly because of him in my opinion. So I don't really have a problem replacing him, but I would want a guy that can at least do what he does defensively.

Millsap is probably the only guy that I could think of that would fit this team well. However he's not going to be cheap and if Millsap goes somewhere else, then I'd rather just bring Amir back. Monroe's low post offense is intriguing but our defense would be a wreck.. so no thanks.

Also you can't discount the chemistry that Amir brings to this team. He, Lowry and DD are our warriors. Get rid of one and the team just isn't the same.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
      I would love Amir back but in a backup bench role which I think he could excel in.
      We already have PPat locked up long term in the bench backup role. Unless you want Amir as a backup C, which given his health and lack of C size doesn't really make sense.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
        We already have PPat locked up long term in the bench backup role. Unless you want Amir as a backup C, which given his health and lack of C size doesn't really make sense.
        I'd move Amir to Hansborough's spot in the rotation. Backup C/PF.

Comment

Yeah Pat is 1 solid backup big we need more than that. Amir could play Backup C along with Patty which has been effective for us.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Do you think Amir would accept that type of money?

When I project the C/PF depth chart for next season, here's where I'm at:

C: Valanciunas / ??? / Bebe
            PF: ??? / Patterson / ???

If Amir could be signed as the 2nd/3rd PF (4th big overall, especially with the trend for small-ball lineups) with a salary to match, I'd be thrilled. I just don't see Amir accepting MLE or less type money, despite his injury history and all the wear-and-tear on his still relatively young body. Of course, a guy like JJ could easily be the backup PF in a small-ball lineup, if a guy like Bruno works his way into the backup SF conversation (without even considering adding more wings via draft, free agency or trade).

I'd much rather focus on finding an upgraded traditional PF to start, along with an established rim-protecting backup C.

I do like bringing Lou back as a bench scorer, as long as he doesn't price himself out of the Raptors' range. With Patterson and Vasquez already making MLE+ money, the Raptors' depth is expensive.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I'd rather stop with the whole PF's masquerading as backup C's thing. If Amir wants to take Hansbrough money to come back ($4M per year), then I'm fine with it. That doesn't seem realistic though. DanH suggested 1 year $14M for Amir. I'd rather spend that money on a whole host of other options at PF/C before injury riddled Amir.

Comment

I'd rather stop with the whole PF's masquerading as backup C's thing. If Amir wants to take Hansbrough money to come back ($4M per year), then I'm fine with it. That doesn't seem realistic though. DanH suggested 1 year $14M for Amir. I'd rather spend that money on a whole host of other options at PF/C before injury riddled Amir.
                Amir at 4@36-40 is more likely with the 4th being a team option. Depending on health 4@32 might be on the table like Curry and his ankles. Amir will miss one season on any contract at least

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  Amir at 4@36-40 is more likely with the 4th being a team option. Depending on health 4@32 might be on the table like Curry and his ankles. Amir will miss one season on any contract at least
                  Anything longer than 1 year for Amir scares the crap out of me. You really wanna tie up all our cap space over 3-4 years in a guy who will most likely either miss large chunks of the season, or play through painful injuries?

Maybe he turns the corner somehow this season, but I think he's playing on sheer grit right now, and that won't work for 3-4 more years.

Comment

The reason you might consider overpaying Amir for a year is if you have lofty goals in 2016 - you want to tie up as little cap as possible that summer in that case. If the team were moving forward with this core or improving via trade rather than free agency, then I don't think the one year offer makes sense.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      The reason you might consider overpaying Amir for a year is if you have lofty goals in 2016 - you want to tie up as little cap as possible that summer in that case. If the team were moving forward with this core or improving via trade rather than free agency, then I don't think the one year offer makes sense.
                      If the cap space increases 8M is worth 4-5M in today's $. Having a 4/5 for that price is cheap even if he misses time for surgery. A dependable backup PF/C is 6M around 2Pats range.

Comment

I'm surprised so few people see it's time to move on from Amir this offseason. He can't stay healthy, and he's got so much mileage on him it's not going to get better, just worse, and likely dramatically so. Starting PF is our weakest spot, and we have backup PF locked up in a younger, healthier, stretchy-the-floorier Patrick Patterson. If we're going to offer someone a 1 year $14M offer I'd rather it be Millsap or Monroe.
                        Amir is the Raptors. You can't trade him.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          Amir is the Raptors. You can't trade him.
                          There really isn't any financial reason Toronto can't get Millsap and keep Amir and Lou.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            There really isn't any financial reason Toronto can't get Millsap and keep Amir and Lou.
                            Umm. How exactly do you propose they do it?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

S&T is the ONLY way to get Millsap we can not free up the necessary cash to make the necessary 12 - 15 million per year offer
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                S&T is the ONLY way to get Millsap we can not free up the necessary cash to make the necessary 12 - 15 million per year offer
                                Sure we can. Let Amir and Lou walk. Done.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X