DeRozan Injury & Raptors Gameplan Without Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    1. Demar Derozan Game Winning Buzzer Beater Vs Orlan…: http://youtu.be/jWCfMAVd7ck
    Who always wants to take those big free throws at the end of the game? DD and Lowry

2. Well if JV is the offensive power house that some believe he is than he'll receive the double coverage that DD was.

3. I want all players to succeed. I just don't feel that JV is as good as ppl think he is. I'm one who believes that Ross will actually have the better career than JV. Not cause I dont like JV but, cause of the always changing landscape of the game. I feel that C position is becoming less useful in this position less league. A dying breed but, that's just me.
    Making 1 game winner in your whole career doesn't mean you're clutch.

3. Loooool absolutely hilarious that you say you want everyone to succeed when every single time Jonas' name is brought up you trash him. Jonas is gonna be a good player in this league either on this team or another you cannot hold back talent like him.

You know why DD is shooting terrible %'s because teams make him take contested 2's in purpose every single person knows those are the lowest % shots in the game.

But hey I know it's gonna make you sick when Jonas dominates either here or somewhere else.

You're constant bashing of him hasn't gone unnoticed FYI.
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

1. Demar Derozan Game Winning Buzzer Beater Vs Orlan…: http://youtu.be/jWCfMAVd7ck
      Who always wants to take those big free throws at the end of the game? DD and Lowry

2. Well if JV is the offensive power house that some believe he is than he'll receive the double coverage that DD was.

3. I want all players to succeed. I just don't feel that JV is as good as ppl think he is. I'm one who believes that Ross will actually have the better career than JV. Not cause I dont like JV but, cause of the always changing landscape of the game. I feel that C position is becoming less useful in this position less league. A dying breed but, that's just me.
      Interesting perspective, because even one year ago, that's exactly the opinion people had of DD. In fact, most would say his reputation was trending down. In less than a year, the opinions have changed dramatically.

Demar has benefited from the work he has put in, but also from the development afforded to him in previous years, and an offensive system built around his and Lowry's specific strengths. Put both Lowry and DD in an offense that prioritizes ball movement and pick & roll, for example, and they would both be struggling.

JV has an excellent ORTG & PER, actually, so to say he's struggling offensively would be incorrect. It's really a credit to his skill level that he is performing well without a PG who is skilled at feeding the roller on PnR (JV's strength). Casey pulls JV because of defense. However, Casey's offense is de-emphasizing other players known strengths, like: GV, 2Pat, Amir & Ross, so this will be a great test of Casey's creativity and flexibility to adapt without a high usage dribble-drive guy like DD. A player like Lou Williams actually bails out Casey quite a bit - just give it to him and let him create off the dribble on ISOs. DD, Lowry and Lou are kind of like of crutch that Casey can fall back on, without having to call too many plays.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
        You're constant bashing of him hasn't gone unnoticed FYI.

Just saying.

Comment

• I would like to remind everyone that I said "might be humbling". I hope it's not.

It's not like I'm saying the season is over. I'm just saying it's not going to be as easy as some you make seem to be
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            Interesting perspective, because even one year ago, that's exactly the opinion people had of DD. In fact, most would say his reputation was trending down. In less than a year, the opinions have changed dramatically.

Demar has benefited from the work he has put in, but also from the development afforded to him in previous years, and an offensive system built around his and Lowry's specific strengths. Put both Lowry and DD in an offense that prioritizes ball movement and pick & roll, for example, and they would both be struggling.

JV has an excellent ORTG & PER, actually, so to say he's struggling offensively would be incorrect. It's really a credit to his skill level that he is performing well without a PG who is skilled at feeding the roller on PnR (JV's strength). Casey pulls JV because of defense. However, Casey's offense is de-emphasizing other players known strengths, like: GV, 2Pat, Amir & Ross, so this will be a great test of Casey's creativity and flexibility to adapt without a high usage dribble-drive guy like DD. A player like Lou Williams actually bails out Casey quite a bit - just give it to him and let him create off the dribble on ISOs. DD, Lowry and Lou are kind of like of crutch that Casey can fall back on, without having to call too many plays.
            All valid points. I'll take that in consideration.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Other teams have focused more on defending DD this year. This has opened things up for Ross --this is a huge loss.
              RAPtors Republic

Anyways, I'm hoping that Casey doesn't decide to just give more touches and minutes to guys like GV, Lou, and Lowry. Basically letting them have more ISO possessions that would normally be given to DeMar. Honestly, I'm afraid that Casey will just tell someone else on the team to assume DeMar's role to make up for his absence, rather than trying to mix up the offense more...
              OG is our king

Comment

I would like to remind everyone that I said "might be humbling". I hope it's not.

It's not like I'm saying the season is over. I'm just saying it's not going to be as easy as some you make seem to be
                Someone on the main page wrote this and it explains DD lack of passing and not making the defense pay when Double teamed

"I have a problem with this: "he’ll be missed in the offense because it’s the amount of attention he gets from the defense that the Raptors rely on." DeRozan gets the attention only when he catches the ball. At that moment, when he's double-teamed, he hasn't been able to make the numbers count often enough (2.8 assists per game)."

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Just saying.
                  Oh I know I'm guilty of this as well, doesn't mean I can't point it out

Comment

• You know who I think the DeRozan injury will be humbling for?

Raptor fans.

DeRozan isn't a perfect player but he kept the line-up balanced, could defend adequately when locked in, could handle ball pressure, and knew how to get to the line.

While the Raptors will continue to play well in his absence, I think we'll be surprised by how much uglier our teams looks without him.

If you think DD makes bad decisions with the ball, wait until we see JJ try to drive through traffic, or start jacking threes because defenses are purposefully sagging off him. Or maybe you think DD is a ball hog — well, I hate to break it to you, but Lou William does almost everything in ISO's, and he barely runs the teams sets. More YOLO threes from GV, anyone?

You can't just pull a guy that's been a starter in a coaches system for the past four years and not expect some hiccups.
                    Last edited by bryan colangelo; Sun Nov 30, 2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                      You know who I think the DeRozan injury will be humbling for?

Raptor fans.

DeRozan isn't a perfect player but he kept the line-up balanced, could defend adequately when locked, could handle ball pressure, and knew how to get to the line.

While the Raptors will continue to play well in his absence, I think we'll be surprised by how much uglier our teams looks without him.

If you think DD makes bad decisions with the ball, wait until we see JJ try to drive through traffic, or start jacking threes because defenses are purposefully sagging off him. Or maybe you think DD is a ball hog — well, I hate to break it to you, but Lou William does almost everything in ISO's, and he barely runs the teams sets. More YOLO threes from GV, anyone?

You can't just pull a guy that's been a starter in a coaches system for the past four years and not expect some hiccups.
                      GV will definitely go YOLO. Sometimes it'll pay off and sometimes not. Lou Will is gonna face some good old fashioned regression to the mean. JJ turnover fest.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

You know who I think the DeRozan injury will be humbling for?

Raptor fans.

DeRozan isn't a perfect player but he kept the line-up balanced, could defend adequately when locked, could handle ball pressure, and knew how to get to the line.

Thank you well put.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The reality is that DD is a big reason why the team functions as well as it does and have great depth.
                          Sorry to nitpick this one sentence out of this, but:

How do we know that DD is a big reason why this team functions so well?

Truth is, we have never played without him and this is just as much a measure of his impact on the team as it is a test for Ross, JV and Casey.

There are 2 thing I want to see from this injury:

1 - a shift in the balance of our offensive attack from guard to post play. The increased USG from all of our posts, whom are all highly efficient, should in theory be the best option. Specifically JV, who will put lots of pressure on opposing bigs in terms of fouls, which will open up rim attempts for our guards and suck in the D for the three.

2 - Lowry not being forced to put up 20+ shots a game. Casey has a habit of leaning hard on his leaders for scoring, and we may see Lowry being told to do so. Frankly, Lowry is not an efficient scorer at times and this could be bad. Also, with DD out, Lowry should be taking a larger role in terms of getting players easy shots, who normally aren't relied upon to create their own shot.

Also DD better not come back before he is 110%. None of this still playing injured crap that lingers into playoffs...get healthy man

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            This sucks.

Hope he's back soon.

This will be a good test for Casey - can he come up with an offence that works without a major cog like DD?

I think we should see a lot more offence run through JV - he's the only other guy (besides Lou, who I think is needed off the bench) who gets to the line consistently. Big tests coming up for JV (can he handle semi-primary option status?), JJ (can he handle starting?), and Ross (can he take on a bigger role with better wing defenders on him?).

If the team can pull through this, when DD comes back it could be like when Bosh went down in 06-07 - the team was much better afterwards. Here's hoping.
                            I have a feeling there are going to be more PnRs.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              How so?

His 4th quarter field goal percentage is 27% with an eFG% of 28%, TS% of 45%, all on a whopping 32% usage.

He has hit his free throws - 84% on 3 attempts.
                              Wait, how do you get 84% on 3 attempts?

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                                Wait, how do you get 84% on 3 attempts?
                                3 per game in Q4, average.

Comment

Working...
                                X