Game #21: Denver Nuggets 107 - Toronto Raptors 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Didn't have an opportunity to watch yesterday's game, but your analysis of JV's struggles on the defensive end is spot on, in my opinion. He's isn't the most mobile big, as proven by how many plays he trails so far behind on (on offence), and as you mentioned his inability to recover after showing. Some of the ability to recover I think has to do with him just not recognizing what the offence is doing and should improve as his awareness grows, but mobility will always be a limitation as with every player.

My question is, should Casey construct a system to to take advantage of JV's strengths at the expense of slowing down the game and affecting the pace? JV's is essentialy a half courst system type of player right? Or continue to play to the strengths of the the rest of the roster and speed things up. I ask this question because Casey is given the roster and he must do with it what he can to win the most games.

As a side question Dan, what are your thoughts on Tyson Chandler and his fit on this roster? He's a player that I think would fit really well, but I know you have a lot more knowledge of stats, so just curious of your opinion.
    Coming into the NBA he was pretty mobile if I remember, but then he started putting on bulk. Ever since then he's been a lot slower and doesn't have the same lift when he jumps. Maybe it's just a matter of him getting used to this bigger body, I'm hoping he's not thinking of bulking up anymore during the offseason.

EDIT: And I completely forgot to say, that he has stopped running the floor as often as he used to. He's been doing it a bit more lately but he gets fatigued easily.
    OG is our king

Comment

• In 30 mins per game in December his averaging 7.0 rebs.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
        Well well, who's holding back Ross' development and ceiling now? Is it the casey, or is it his 'fans'?

Shooters like Kyle Korver, a player that Ross is compared to, were better playmakers at this stage of their careers.

When Ross shot isn't falling, he's the equivalent of Joey Graham. For the teams sake and for his own career, you better hope he sets the bar higher than jacking up threes.
        It's okay. You just don't know what you're looking at or talking about. Perhaps discuss something you do understand. Ross has tremendous upside. Nothing is holding Ross back except Ross. He needs to put on weight in the off season so he can handle larger 3's. But his defensive fundamentals are sound. His rebounding solid due to his athleticism and his shot mechanics very good. The problem with this team and its future potential is not Terrance Ross.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
          It's okay. You just don't know what you're looking at or talking about. Perhaps discuss something you do understand. Ross has tremendous upside. Nothing is holding Ross back except Ross. He needs to put on weight in the off season so he can handle larger 3's. But his defensive fundamentals are sound. His rebounding solid due to his athleticism and his shot mechanics very good. The problem with this team and its future potential is not Terrance Ross.
          Ross doesn't need to put on weight. His quickness was the only thing keeping him in front of guys. He needs to be the annoying skinny fuck who never stops moving on offense and defend guards. A fat slow SF with short arms isn't scaring anyone.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            In 30 mins per game in December his averaging 7.0 rebs.
            Gotcha.

You're drawing permanent conclusions on a 4 game sample size where everyone readily admits he screwed the pooch in a couple of those games?

I don't think that is rational thinking.

He is elite on the season.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              We need a big in the rotation that can rebound at an above average level.
              that is absolutely true. But who? We don't need our 4 to score. But we need him to defend and rebound. Biggest area of potential improvement imo. I love Amir. But on a championship calibre team, particularly one without a superstar, he should be a rotation player.

Comment

• Regarding the last play in regulation, yes it was a terrible play (if that was the actual intended play) but people act as if most end of regulation plays in the NBA end with beautiful shots. They don't, for whatever reason most crunch possessions just end in isolations. And look at the Clippers game winning shot from last night in overtime down 2; a contested Blake Griffin step back 3, that's a terrible shot and Doc Rivers is a great coach. Casey's not alone in the poor out of bounds play calling.

Comment

that is absolutely true. But who? We don't need our 4 to score. But we need him to defend and rebound. Biggest area of potential improvement imo. I love Amir. But on a championship calibre team, particularly one without a superstar, he should be a rotation player.
                  David Lee. He isn't a good defender but can hold the post and would work well defensively with Amir or JV. His rebounding and hustle would really help. In other words ship out Fields+ Hands+Steimsa and replace with Lee, keep Hayes for matchups.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    Didn't have an opportunity to watch yesterday's game, but your analysis of JV's struggles on the defensive end is spot on, in my opinion. He's isn't the most mobile big, as proven by how many plays he trails so far behind on (on offence), and as you mentioned his inability to recover after showing. Some of the ability to recover I think has to do with him just not recognizing what the offence is doing and should improve as his awareness grows, but mobility will always be a limitation as with every player.

My question is, should Casey construct a system to to take advantage of JV's strengths at the expense of slowing down the game and affecting the pace? JV's is essentialy a half courst system type of player right? Or continue to play to the strengths of the the rest of the roster and speed things up. I ask this question because Casey is given the roster and he must do with it what he can to win the most games.

As a side question Dan, what are your thoughts on Tyson Chandler and his fit on this roster? He's a player that I think would fit really well, but I know you have a lot more knowledge of stats, so just curious of your opinion.
                    There's no way going after Chandler wouldn't cost something good, possibly even Jonas, and that's a horribly short-sighted move. Tyson is 32 years old, and his game could decline at any moment, especially since his value depends largely on his mobility on D. The Raptors are not in a go all-in situation. And as Dan points out, part of Jonas' struggles on D have to do with a system that expects PF-like mobility from a C. Really there are probably around a handful of starting Cs in the league that would fit well in the system, and tons that wouldn't. And frankly, I'm really trying to figure out who the system is good for, because our wings/PGs don't look very good in it either.

People really need to be more patient. Or, here, I'll let Masai lay it out....

But now that the Raptors have a suddenly slim one-game lead in the race for the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference, the question facing Ujiri is what next?

There is plenty of flexibility. Ujiri has six players on expiring contracts worth a total of $30 million. Of those only Amir Johnson and Lou Williams could be defined as core assets.

But Ujiri is unhurried.

“We’ve got young players,” he said. “When you take a job, you have to assess the guys you need and the guys you don’t. Some of that we did right away and some of it we waited.

“But now we’re at the stage where we let the players grow. You need to let your players grow. We will continue to look at our team, but the key is we have young players and they players will hopefully continue to get better and continue to grow.”

There are signs. Ross, 23, has averaged 14.6 points in five games since DeRozan got injured. He had 16 last night but was a painful 0-for-7 from the 3-point line, including four straight in the fourth as the Raptors were trying to reel Denver back in, though he redeemed himself with triple in overtime. Figuring out how not to shrink at money time will be part of his growth.

Jonas Valancuinas, 22, battled for 18 points and 12 rebounds but had to leave early as he picked up his fifth foul – his fourth being a needless one 90 feet from his basket. He can learn from that, too.

But learning takes time. And Ujiri sounds prepared for some downs after an early season – well most of a year really – that has been nothing but ups.
                    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ter-gay-trade/

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Ross doesn't need to put on weight. His quickness was the only thing keeping him in front of guys. He needs to be the annoying skinny fuck who never stops moving on offense and defend guards. A fat slow SF with short arms isn't scaring anyone.
                      Because that's exactly what I' m suggesting... How about if I said he needs to get stronger? Done right, weight training should improve strength and not impede quickness, lateral or otherwise. In fact in some cases it can enhance it. It would also help him attack the lane. Ross has good defensive fundementals, vs. Say Demar. He needs to put time in the gym like demar did. It will help his game a lot.

Comment

Because that's exactly what I' m suggesting... How about if I said he needs to get stronger? Done right, weight training should improve strength and not impede quickness, lateral or otherwise. In fact in some cases it can enhance it. It would also help him attack the lane. Ross has good defensive fundementals, vs. Say Demar. He needs to put time in the gym like demar did. It will help his game a lot.
                        He needs to going on a treadmill and run. They should strap him to a chair and play Ray Allen videos like A Clockwork Orange spraying his eyeballs with water.

Comment

• But people don't see the true issue here. Ross is not a 3. He's a stretch 2. Do I like him as a player? Yes. Do I like him as our 3? No, I don't.

I've said it many times: I feel a stretch 4 that can play the 3 is what we truly need. A guy that rebound, has speed and the ability to shoot the 3. We get that, and we are a superstar team. I know some guys want a 4/5.... but guys with speed and a good 3 ball are hard to find.. except perhaps Kelly Olynyk.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            There's no way going after Chandler wouldn't cost something good, possibly even Jonas, and that's a horribly short-sighted move. Tyson is 32 years old, and his game could decline at any moment, especially since his value depends largely on his mobility on D. The Raptors are not in a go all-in situation. And as Dan points out, part of Jonas' struggles on D have to do with a system that expects PF-like mobility from a C. Really there are probably around a handful of starting Cs in the league that would fit well in the system, and tons that wouldn't. And frankly, I'm really trying to figure out who the system is good for, because our wings/PGs don't look very good in it either.

People really need to be more patient. Or, here, I'll let Masai lay it out....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ter-gay-trade/
                            I wasn't saying that we should trade JV for Tyson Chandler. Just asking how well Tyson would fit on our team. He seems to me like a perfect fit right now. Reality is that JV doesn't fit well into the Raptors system on seemingly either end of the floor (though averaging a near double/double). Still too much potential to trade away and certainly not for an aging player who isn't part of the future of this team.

Lowry, DD, and Lou are all putting up great numbers, so I would say the system is good for them. Even Ross' numbers are up across the board though it certainly doesn't seem like it on most nights.

Comment

• Agree with everything. When JV is locked in on a game, he makes a massive impact, with or without the ball.

Comment

• Joey make the thread for the Cavs game tonight - lets make sure the streak continues!!!!!!!! Lets beat that douchebag crybaby LBJ!

Comment

Working...
                                X