No announcement yet.

Raptors Now #1 Off Rtg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to note. Both Fields and JJ are smarter and more capable SF's than Ross. JJ can get inside and finish, and has far superior playmaking abilities than Ross, and Fields is just a master of off the ball movement and timely cuts. Once Vasquez was removed from the starting unit, both of those guys just stepped in like they had been in that role all along, and Lowry and others did a damn fine job of getting them the ball. And Ross is moved to his more natural position, and experimenting a little more with his shot selection with his increased usage, but still a big threat from 3 to help maintain the spacing. Lowry has also been playing at an MVP level, and Lou and Patterson have been lights out, so I'm not terribly surprised by the fact we did not drop off in offence, at least in hindsight. There is great chemistry on this team.

But this really shouldn't be a Ross vs Demar debate. Demar is better than Ross in just about every aspect of the game except shooting. And that is really all that Ross is bringing to the table right now. His defence isn't steller on a consistent basis, if at all. He is absolutely terrified of contact in he paint. He plays like a pussy for the most part. Now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is adjusting to the new situation and still trying to feel things out, but the kid is crazy athletic and has a sweet jumper, so there really is no excuse for the inconsistency and inability or refusal to get inside. He should be dunking and getting layups more frequently, and thus shooting more FT's. I'm not sure what the issue is, and hopefully he will get it with more time and experience. But I fear he just doesn't have the drive and heart to really take his game to the next level. I'm not sure he is as strong a competitor as he needs to be to really elevate his game. I would love to be proved wrong.

Nonetheless, this team needs both Ross and Demar playing well to be at their best. Ross's shooting helps keep defences honest and maintains passing and driving lanes for you know, guys like Lowry and Demar that can actually drive and finish. If JJ or Fields started with Demar, that just would not be possible. And not having Demar in the starting unit is putting tremendous pressure on Lowry to completely run the offence and be the only relief valve in the starting unit. Now, it's worked out thus far because Lowry is so freakin awesome and playing like a true MVP. And it's great to know that we have that caliber a player on our squad. But it's no recipe for continued success going forward or the playoffs IMO. We will need Demar to spell Lowry and shoulder some of the load, because no one else on the team is capable or ready to do so. IMO JV will be, but not yet. Next season will be JV's "breakout year" I think. And maybe another playoff series or two will light the flame in Ross.

But we should be extremely proud of what this team has been able to do to this point. I doubt anyone expected this type of success this season, especially when dealing with an injury to a guy like Demar. But now we know that we have a superstar caliber player in Lowry. We know that Lou is a 6th man of the year type player. We know JJ can be a major positive influence on both sides of the floor without trying to do too much. We know Patterson is money from 3. We know we got guys like Hayes, Hansbrough and Fields that can come in on limited PT and be positive's. We know we have one of, if not the best bench in the NBA. We know we can score the ball, with or without Demar, as well as anyone in the league. We know our D is hit and miss, but clearly capable of making life difficult for opposing offences. And we know we have two guys in JV and Ross that are still figuring it out.

And that's the best part, this team is still getting better and has room to improve. I don't feel that this is the year for the Raps to win it all, go to the finals or maybe even the ECF. I'm hoping for ECF at least, but a loss in the 2nd round to the Bulls or maybe Cavs if they improve would sound about right. This team has alot of growing yet to do and the best is yet to come IMO.

Comment

I like Ross' upside, but let's get real ... He should probably be playing SG, but the problem is he's not a better SG than Derozan. And if either Landry Fields or James Johnson could hit a corner three consistently, they'd probably start over Ross at the SF. They just have better size, basketball IQ.

Comment

Just a thought on us having the best offence in the history of time...does that scare the s*#@ out of anyone? If anything has to come to a mean...that's got to be it, no? But for now, I'll keep livin' the dream

Comment

James Johnson needs to stay in the starting lineup.

JV + Johnson & Johnson, or Dr. Val and The Medicine.

But seriously, there is no way the team can drop JJ from the starting lineup. Let DeRozon or Ross come off the bench.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
            I like Ross' upside, but let's get real ... He should probably be playing SG, but the problem is he's not a better SG than Derozan. And if either Landry Fields or James Johnson could hit a corner three consistently, they'd probably start over Ross at the SF. They just have better size, basketball IQ.
            Yeah i've kinda been thinking the same thing. I could see them making a trade in the offseason, but right now i'd still say his 3-pt shooting is too important among starters. He also has been guarding pgs (lawson and paul) recently which is kinda interesting. Depending on how high Boston's pick is this year, i could see a trade for that (or any number of Brooklyn picks) and some front court depth (i.e. Zeller). Ross would fit there well alongside Smart. I really think Ross could be like a Klay Thompson if he works hard on his development, both started off as shooters, don't have great assist numbers and play decent defense. I don't think Ross will develop to be a Thompson-like player so I can justify trading him away.

Comment

Keep DD on the bench a little bit when he comes back, he can't get injured again.
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Best comment on here was wanting to see Team USA DeRozan - I'll take that over Kobe-lite DeRozan.

Everybody respects the way DeRozan has developed, his work ethic, competitiveness, and his commitment to the Raptors and Toronto. All awesome. The only beef at this point is to not force the offence a couple times a game (trying to draw a foul 1-on-3 with no support or Plan B), to shoot a couple fewer long two's per game, and to move the ball a bit more. Keep doing everything else, just improve the offensive flow a bit for the whole team by reducing some of the lower percentage iso play by a couple plays per game. I agree with all of that, and I think this stretch reinforces that perspective - there's a ton of depth on this team and guys who can step up and shoot high percentage shots. DeRozan doesn't need to be Kobe. Play with your teammates, bring that defensive intensity we saw on Team USA and vs. LeBron in the Cavs game, and share a bit of the offensive workload.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Doge: yeah T Ross is definitely the most replaceable starter we have, with decent trade value. That, and he looks more comfortable guarding 2's and 1's instead of having to hold the fort against big 3's.

At the same time, we need his shooting, and if he continues to expand his offensive game I think it would more than make up for being a little undersized at small forward. I would trade him, but only if what we got back moved the needle.

Comment

I would limit DDs minutes for the first five or so games back. We need him for the stretch run and into the playoffs....no sense risking re-injury if we are still winning at a 700 clip
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      I would limit DDs minutes for the first five or so games back. We need him for the stretch run and into the playoffs....no sense risking re-injury if we are still winning at a 700 clip
                      Run him 40 min+ and see if he breaks down like a lawnmower back from the shop. If he breaks down its better if the repairs are covered under warranty but I'm not a doctor.

Comment

Working...
                      X